GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I'm sure there is a fail safe of sorts for manually shifting the DSG trans, so you can't accidentally shift into 1st doing 30mph. My question is, does anyone know at what speed (or RPM) for each gear that you cannot downshift?
no...but I know how to find out. :)

Mud

I would assume it is red-line or similar dependent.

FrgMstr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 R 19 GTI 15 GTI
Those rear white fins on the rear window leading to the spoiler aren't OEM either. They should be gloss black.
Looking around, I found it on parts.vw.com. Is Oettinger a supplier of quality products or should I expect issues?

OETTINGER® Twin Bridge Spoiler – Primer
This Fits Your 2019 Volkswagen GTI

5G0071644BGRU Product Image
Part Number: 5G0071644BGRU
Supersession(s): 5G0-071-644-BGRU

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Looking around, I found it on parts.vw.com. Is Oettinger a supplier of quality products or should I expect issues?

OETTINGER® Twin Bridge Spoiler – Primer
This Fits Your 2019 Volkswagen GTI

5G0071644BGRU Product Image
Part Number: 5G0071644BGRU
Supersession(s): 5G0-071-644-BGRU
They're pretty high quality. As long as the installer put it on correctly, you should have no issues.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Score on the Oettinger... but for all that is sacred, please remove that dealer emblem

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Score on the Oettinger... but for all that is sacred, please remove that dealer emblem
LOL. I told mine when I bought it that they can leave their logo on mine as long as they pay me for advertising. They took it off really quick

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I'm sure there is a fail safe of sorts for manually shifting the DSG trans, so you can't accidentally shift into 1st doing 30mph. My question is, does anyone know at what speed (or RPM) for each gear that you cannot downshift?

I don't want to test it to find the limit but I accidentally downshifted into 1st when I thought I was going from 3rd to 2nd. I did not see exactly how high the rpms got but it was well over redline. This was at a pretty low speed and I noticed my mistake a split second after so completely let off the gas.

FrgMstr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 R 19 GTI 15 GTI
Have you checked the rest of the car for aftermarket parts/tune?
After I learned that this morning I started looking around. Outside the shift knob, all looks the same as it does on the VW site. Everything under the hood looks OE. As for tune, it does not "feel" like it to me, but how would I check? Thanks!

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
not a question but I was surprised the other day when I got in car and my screen flashed up "Phone Charge Very Low" (or something like that). I was impressed.

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
I'm interested in getting some aftermarket wheels for my Alltrack, and I just want to verify that I'm planning everything correctly. Wheel hub is 57mm and the wheels I'm looking at have a 67mm hub bore. I would also like some spacers, and the ones I'm looking at have a 57mm bore as well. Would I install the spacer onto the hub with the extended lugs bolts (do I need conical?), then the hub centric ring for 57 to 67mm, then the wheel? Is that everything I need?

Would still just like some confirmation, better safe than sorry.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Would still just like some confirmation, better safe than sorry.
You're pretty close, it goes spacer, rings, wheel, extended lugs. A threaded wheel hanger will make it all a lot easier to assemble. As for conical vs spherical lugs, it depends on the wheel. VW uses spherical for their factory wheels and so do a few aftermarket wheel makers (Neuspeed for example) but most use conical.

If I can steer you in another direction, skip the spacers and just buy wheels with the right offset and width to start with. It's likely to save you some headaches.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The OEM bore size is 57.1mm. Agreed on the proper offset. Don't mess with spacers if you can avoid it. Also, get a high quality hub ring that fully seats in the bore, or you'll spend all the money you saved on non-OEM bore wheels on chasing vibration problems. I have Neuspeeds with OEM bores and they fit perfectly.