GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Follow up to a question I asked before. Getting ready to do my oil change after break in and sending it to Blackstone Laboratories for an analysis. I was planning to use my oil extractor to do my oil change. Will I be okay if I extract everything then just pour some of the oil in the extractor in the oil sample container? Or should I not use the extractor for this and go through the oil pan instead?

Sarhog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 VW GTI SE 6MT
Follow up to a question I asked before. Getting ready to do my oil change after break in and sending it to Blackstone Laboratories for an analysis. I was planning to use my oil extractor to do my oil change. Will I be okay if I extract everything then just pour some of the oil in the extractor in the oil sample container? Or should I not use the extractor for this and go through the oil pan instead?
Either way is fine, just let the lab know which way you did it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Doesn't make any difference whatsoever. But if you do remove the drain plug for the sample you might as well drain it all that way.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
just an fyi, my tech said using an extractor is fine, but every few times you should drain from plugs just to get all the extra stuff at the bottom that is missed. I guess ill do that next oil change lol

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Is there an official Track Times thread? I think it would be cool to have a master list that just keeps getting updated with something (grouped by track) like car, times, mods, and class.

That way you have an idea that if you're going to Putnam with similar mods as a novice, you'll know what kind of times you can expect.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
just an fyi, my tech said using an extractor is fine, but every few times you should drain from plugs just to get all the extra stuff at the bottom that is missed. I guess ill do that next oil change lol
i thought vw dealers use extractors or maybe on ly some do

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
i thought vw dealers use extractors or maybe on ly some do

I doubt there's any dealers using an extractor. They aren't going to miss the opportunity to charge you way too much for the drain pan plug.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What makes you think they wouldn't still charge you for a plug when using an extractor?

Why the hell would they charge you for a drain pan plug if they extracted the oil from the top and didn't remove the drain pan plug? That's ridiculous. And if they did try and charge for something they didn't do I would point it out to the general manager of the dealership. It they were going to remove the drain pan plug they wouldn't bother with the extractor.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Why the hell would they charge you for a drain pan plug if they extracted the oil from the top and didn't remove the drain pan plug? That's ridiculous. And if they did try and charge for something they didn't do I would point it out to the general manager of the dealership. It they were going to remove the drain pan plug they wouldn't bother with the extractor.
You must trust your dealership a lot more than I trust the ones I've dealt with...