GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If I'm inflating the tires to 37psi during summer do I need to add extra air since the tires are already ~90 degrees in my garage? Or since the tires won't be getting much colder during the summer do I consider that to be the cold pressure? ...or do I do less air to compensate for the tires getting hotter when warmed up? 🤯

My 18 SE says 37 lbs cold on the door sticker. In Phoenix when it's hot they gain 4 lbs after some driving.

Elwood

3-7-77
"Cold" refers to a comparison of the temperature of the air inside the tire to the ambient temp. As soon as you start to drive, the air in the tire starts to warm up. Check it when they are the same (before you drive).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't trust it. According to the calculator, I should be running 32psi in my 17s. VW says 35psi.

I agree with you. I don't think the tire size matters you should always start with the pressure it says on the door and then adjust according to tread wear.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Yes, but I'm so used to seeing a green icon light in the dash for lights-on. I know there's the blue icon for highbeams, but that's it.
I've never driven a car with this. What car are you coming from?

Drys

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'15 GSW TDI
I've never driven a car with this. What car are you coming from?
Subaru. My wife's Focus has the green icon as well.

Btw, this is the icon I am talking about. Headlights/taillights are illuminated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 9.20.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 9.20.52 AM.png
    39 KB · Views: 87

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Subaru. My wife's Focus has the green icon as well.

Btw, this is the icon I am talking about. Headlights/taillights are illuminated.
Now that I'm seeing it and its jogging my memory, I guess I have seen it in some older cars but I thought it was something to do with parking lights or something my dad told me when I was a kid, idk. My girlfriends fusion doesnt have it, not that I've seen anyway

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I think my ancient Jetta has a headlight indicator, they probably did away with it when many cars started including auto on/off headlights.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
My brain dead moment question: What happens if you have push button start and forget to turn your engine off (taking your key with you)? Does the car run until it's out of fuel or does it turn off after a set amount of time?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My brain dead moment question: What happens if you have push button start and forget to turn your engine off (taking your key with you)? Does the car run until it's out of fuel or does it turn off after a set amount of time?

The car stays on and unless you've changed the coding you can't lock the doors so anybody could just get in and drive it away.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
The car stays on and unless you've changed the coding you can't lock the doors so anybody could just get in and drive it away.

Thanks, I guess I didn't leave my car on when I got to work yesterday after all lol. I only wondered because it seemed like the engine heated up much faster than usual almost like I had parked it 1 hour ago instead of 6.