GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
It is unlikely that the reputation of a shop has anything to do with their ability to flash code. It probably has to do with their other services.
how do they flash the code at the shop, is it through OBD port ? I would assume so as everything seems to go through there. I only have jb4, but honeslty, like all tuners should have the capability to flash at home its easier by 100 fold

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Also, I agree with CB1111, my understanding is they just run the computer, takes 30 minutes or whatever, and the car is tuned apr or uni or whatever. but the shops reputation probably comes from other stuff like high prices, or messing up other jobs

Hey guys,
Maybe a stupid question, what do you guys do to clean the outside of the tiny windows up front (ahead of the side mirrors) mine have got quite foggy looking for some reason, almost like a there's a layer of coating on it.

Cheers

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Before you take your car in to be flashed, ask if they charge shop time for the flash. When I had my B7 A4 flashed Unitronic Stage 1, the shop charged for 45mins worth of shop time for the install which they didnt disclose to me till it was time to pay. Even though they are only 15 mins from my house, I am never going there again... The APR dealer which was about an hour further up north did not charge shop hours for flash tuning.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Before you take your car in to be flashed, ask if they charge shop time for the flash. When I had my B7 A4 flashed Unitronic Stage 1, the shop charged for 45mins worth of shop time for the install which they didnt disclose to me till it was time to pay. Even though they are only 15 mins from my house, I am never going there again... The APR dealer which was about an hour further up north did not charge shop hours for flash tuning.
that sucks, i rather just do it myself, bullshit to have to pay it is probably the easiest thing to do, plugin, download file to ecu, be done

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
how do they flash the code at the shop, is it through OBD port ? I would assume so as everything seems to go through there. I only have jb4, but honeslty, like all tuners should have the capability to flash at home its easier by 100 fold

That's exactly why so many of us recommend Cobb plus the numerous tuners tuning on the Cobb platform.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
o
Hate to sound like a broken record but that's exactly why we recommend the Cobb platform. Tune from home and several tuners to chose from including what certainly seems to be the consensus best one EQT.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
I have an OBDELEVEN. How do I view knock retardation? Can I view it per cylinder? What kind of values should I be looking for at WOT?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I deadass thought you were on here recommending cobb ots tunes... I was getting my pimp hand out my pocket. Lol. Cobb accessport if anyone was wondering

LOL. No just Cobb for the ability to tune with others. Cobb's OTS tunes suck.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Yes the accessport is on my list of things i am getting, most likely a next year with BT, this is the year of cosmetic and wheels/tires.
This isn't a bad time for it- after reading this thread I checked out EQT's site. If you buy an Access Port through them, they'll give you their base map for free.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
This isn't a bad time for it- after reading this thread I checked out EQT's site. If you buy an Access Port through them, they'll give you their base map for free.
Yes, I have seen this and do/ will go eqt. But I need coils and wheels which is gonna put me in the red. Im thinking next year ill just go xl eqt w/ AP and protune and see what BT numbers look like lol I would go AP and sell my JB4 its only going to be about a 400 upgrade (IF) big if, jb4 sells, but i think the power im making with jb4 is relavant to stg2 eqt base tune. I know EQT is way better tune but I wouldn't make a lot more HP just to switch, it would be a more refined tune. Also, if I go eqt turbo the AP is 5xx vs 6xx so its more savings

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, I have seen this and do/ will go eqt. But I need coils and wheels which is gonna put me in the red. Im thinking next year ill just go xl eqt w/ AP and protune and see what BT numbers look like lol I would go AP and sell my JB4 its only going to be about a 400 upgrade (IF) big if, jb4 sells, but i think the power im making with jb4 is relavant to stg2 eqt base tune. I know EQT is way better tune but I wouldn't make a lot more HP just to switch, it would be a more refined tune. Also, if I go eqt turbo the AP is 5xx vs 6xx so its more savings

Why do you need coils? If you coils are still okay you do not need to replace them for a tune or a bigger turbo. There's no benefit.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Why do you need coils? If you coils are still okay you do not need to replace them for a tune or a bigger turbo. There's no benefit.
I'm going to guess it's lack of patience.

When you get older, you realize that you don't have to do it all at once. Sometimes projects are built over a long time. Do one thing at a time, and do it well. Everyday, you'll look back and say "Daaaamn. It did all that!" 😎

I say go ahead... Get the cheap coils and move forward. But I think you won't be happy. I'd rather spend $600 on a good cup kit that I could resell again than $800 coilovers that are hard to move when you don't like then. Or wait until you can get what excites you.