GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't know how to word this but it isn't VW making these tweaks possible is it? Isn't it because VW uses the VAG Com platform and VCDS - Ross Tech is somewhat of a hack into the system to make these changes? Kind of like an Android phone. You can root the phone using 3rd party software and change settings that Google didn't intend for Android. Please enlighten me.

cb1111

I don't know how to word this but it isn't VW making these tweaks possible is it? Isn't it because VW uses the VAG Com platform and VCDS - Ross Tech is somewhat of a hack into the system to make these changes? Kind of like an Android phone. You can root the phone using 3rd party software and change settings that Google didn't intend for Android. Please enlighten me.
Yes, VW is making the tweaks "possible" because they are all settings that are either factory settings or something that is available in another part of the world - or unavailable here for regulatory reasons. Some of those "tweaks" may require different modules or parts and some are just settings.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, VW is making the tweaks "possible" because they are all settings that are either factory settings or something that is available in another part of the world - or unavailable here for regulatory reasons. Some of those "tweaks" may require different modules or parts and some are just settings.

Thanks for that.

cb1111

Thanks for that.
Yes, for example, there are several different rear turn signal configurations that are available in different regions. Rather than make different electronic modules, they just code them differently - the window up that is available in some areas.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Say what? Care to elaborate?
Sure! Let's say that APR has the best Stage 1 tune, but the closest APR dealer doesn't have a good reputation. Or Racingline's dealer is right hours away. Maybe Unitronic isn't considered as good, but there's a place locally that has a great reputation.

With all these "Stage" tunes out there claiming better numbers, does it really matter which brand you get? What matters more, the brand of tune, or the person tuning it?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
correct me if I'm wrong - but an OTS tune is exactly the same no matter where you get it.

unless you are asking if you should get an inferior tune from a good shop? or a good tune from a shitty shop? idk...

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Yeah off the shelf tunes are plug and play. I did my Uni tune in my garage with zero tuning experience. You plug in the cable and click flash and thats it.

Theres plenty of info about the OTS tunes. Unitronic is more conservative and generally considered "safer" although theres nothing really "unsafe" about APR tunes - they just put down more power and torque than Uni. COBB OTS tunes are widely considered hot garbage.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
So there aren't any corrections for where you are? For some reason I assumed that an OTS tune varied a bit based on location (colder climates, hot and muggy climates). And I figured that it could still get screwed up some. ?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
correct me if I'm wrong - but an OTS tune is exactly the same no matter where you get it.

unless you are asking if you should get an inferior tune from a good shop? or a good tune from a shitty shop? idk...
OTS tunes vary by tuner. They're probably pretty similar because it has to be a very generic tune.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Here's one:
What matters more, the brand of tune, or the tuner?

The brand of the tuner is the brand. Even if you are using the Cobb Access Port there's several tuners using it to tune but the brand would then be EQT, Stratified 5150 etc.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
OTS tunes vary by tuner. They're probably pretty similar because it has to be a very generic tune.
I may have misunderstand the original question - I know APR stage 1 is the same anywhere you get it - and it is different than Unitronic Stage 1.

I thought the question was if you get APR Stage 1 at Shop X is it different than APR at Shop Y. - in which case, no it is not.

cb1111

Sure! Let's say that APR has the best Stage 1 tune, but the closest APR dealer doesn't have a good reputation. Or Racingline's dealer is right hours away. Maybe Unitronic isn't considered as good, but there's a place locally that has a great reputation.

With all these "Stage" tunes out there claiming better numbers, does it really matter which brand you get? What matters more, the brand of tune, or the person tuning it?
It is unlikely that the reputation of a shop has anything to do with their ability to flash code. It probably has to do with their other services.