GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How do I cancel the "inspection due" message in the MFD? It doesn't delete it when you do the same procedure to turn off the oil change due message.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
has anyone had luck with shortening a leather shifter boot? the bfi boot I installed over a year ago is pretty long. I like the shift knob sitting low and this pushes all the leather down into the shifter assembly. Tonight I tore it all apart again (shouldn't have) but it seems you cannot force the plastic part any higher into the boot. Only other option would be to cut the top (then you have a huge hole which would be worse. I guess the only option is buy another boot or custom sew one?

BlackDog68

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16 GTI autobahn dsg
So, has anyone tried a big turbo, stock intercooler location upgrade with no downpipe? I’m thinking this could pass state emissions on a stock tune, then switch back to a custom tune (EQT :)

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32

lukehenry

Car(s)
Golf GTD
Hi all, this certainly qualifies as a stupid question.

How do you take the dust covers off the back of the main headlight unit?

I know you're meant to turn it one way, but try as I might, (both directions) they will not budge.

I've got a AFS Bend lighting error on my 64 mk7. Reading up, most people say to change the bulbs. Being a "easy fix" I thought I'd try swapping the h7 bulbs but I'm stuck at the dust covers.

Any ideas?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Hi all, this certainly qualifies as a stupid question.

How do you take the dust covers off the back of the main headlight unit?

I know you're meant to turn it one way, but try as I might, (both directions) they will not budge.

I've got a AFS Bend lighting error on my 64 mk7. Reading up, most people say to change the bulbs. Being a "easy fix" I thought I'd try swapping the h7 bulbs but I'm stuck at the dust covers.

Any ideas?
See if this helps. We don't have any info about your car specs to know which lights you have but this will probably cover it

lukehenry

Car(s)
Golf GTD
See if this helps. We don't have any info about your car specs to know which lights you have but this will probably cover it

That's great, thanks for the video. I'll take a look. Sorry, I have a 64 (Jan-15) GTD if that helps.

Do you recon taking the headlight unit out should give me more leverage to get the dust caps off? It's pretty tight on the passenger side.

Parks

Hi guys and gals.

New mk7 owner here in Singapore. I used to have an Ed30 in the UK and was on the mkV forum too.

reading all the posts regarding VCDS got me thinking, if the cars are able to perform such tasks from the factory, why dont VW enable such features at add it to the specs? They only sell 98% of the car at the moment...

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
it is easier to make $ by including upgraded features in higher spec models. I used turning on factory alarm to justify my purchase of OBD11.

Welcome and newbies are expected to include pictures

Mud

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
it is easier to make $ by including upgraded features in higher spec models. I used turning on factory alarm to justify my purchase of OBD11.

Welcome and newbies are expected to include pictures

Mud
This mostly

and different regions of the world have different requirements and regulations for lighting and other functions. If VW builds a framework with features for all the models and has a "recipe" they can follow for what features to have enabled/disabled depending on the model, features, and region the car will be sold, it will be less expensive and more efficient to develop than developing an individual framework for every model, trim, region, etc.