GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

sbarrett4

Ready to race!
curiosity...why don't you like them? You can't see them from inside car...not trying to break stones
Partially it is a get off my lawn thing. I've been drving long enough to know when headlights are needed. I don't need my car deciding for me. I turn my headlights on when wipers are on, so don't worry about that everybody. Also, I see too many cars driving around with only one functioning headlight, or improperly installed HIDs that are more distraction than help in daylight.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Partially it is a get off my lawn thing. I've been drving long enough to know when headlights are needed. I don't need my car deciding for me. I turn my headlights on when wipers are on, so don't worry about that everybody. Also, I see too many cars driving around with only one functioning headlight, or improperly installed HIDs that are more distraction than help in daylight.
DRL's have nothing to do with if your headlights are on. They are just on all the time, it's purely cosmetic. Are you talking about turning off your auto headlights?

cb1111

DRLs are a safety device to help others see you. As more and more cars in the US have DRLs, we are becoming more programmed to expect a car to have DRLs and we can easily overlook a car without them on.

Last edited:

GTIPOWER17

Usually have 2 phones with me so I usually throw them on the passenger seat while they're plugged in.
Problem is when they sometimes trigger the seat belt chime as if someone is sitting there.

1 ) don't know what kind of sensor but you would think it could discern that a 1lb adult didn't exist

2) can you disable the chime

answer for number 2, you can buy a OBD11 and turn off the seat belt chime

sbarrett4

Ready to race!
DRL's have nothing to do with if your headlights are on. They are just on all the time, it's purely cosmetic. Are you talking about turning off your auto headlights?

Correct. They are cosmetic and I don't like the look, so I deactivated mine. And as I already said, I don't need the car deciding for me when I need my headlights on, I am fully capable of doing that myself. While many safety devices are great (back-up camera and blind spot monitor for example), some are just making people more lazy in terms of paying attention on the road. I don't need DRLs or headlights on by oncoming traffic to know the vehicles are there cause I'm not paying attention to my surroundings instead of messing with my phone or eating or whatever.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Correct. They are cosmetic and I don't like the look, so I deactivated mine. And as I already said, I don't need the car deciding for me when I need my headlights on, I am fully capable of doing that myself. While many safety devices are great (back-up camera and blind spot monitor for example), some are just making people more lazy in terms of paying attention on the road. I don't need DRLs or headlights on by oncoming traffic to know the vehicles are there cause I'm not paying attention to my surroundings instead of messing with my phone or eating or whatever.
Based on what youre saying I think youre still confused. DRL's are not headlights. Your car isn't deciding when to turn your headlights on with DRL's they are just always on. I get that you don't like them and thats fine, to each their own.
The DRL's are so other people (read: idiots not paying attention) notice you a little easier. Completely agree they are just making other people lazy, but I'd argue that blind spot monitoring is even more of a culprit for this. People start to rely on that and stop checking their blind spot. My girlfriend totaled her trailblazer because she didnt check her blind spot one day and when the car that she almost merged into sped up to get around her, she overcorrecetd and lost control. People suck at driving, I'm in the boat that there should be no driver assistance at all because it enforces people to not think about their decisions.

Sorry to get this off topic lol.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The number of morons I see driving around at dusk with no lights on in dark colored cars is staggering. Had they had DRLs it wouldn't be an issue.
On the other hand, the amount of morons I see driving in the middle of night with only their DRL's is insane as well. No idea how people can manage that

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
On the other hand, the amount of morons I see driving in the middle of night with only their DRL's is insane as well. No idea how people can manage that
That too. Their brake lights aren't on. They pretty much only show up under lightpoles. I like to abuse the shit out of them in my Saab with bixenons full open shutter and H7 highs. Check my vid :)

cb1111

Not sure why it won't multi-quote (but I tried to quote Diggs as well)

One problem here is that the US does not require DRLs because of the problem of people driving around with only DRLs on in the middle of the night.

Canada, where DRLs are mandated, has resolved the problem nicely that if the DRLs turn on ANY dash lights, then there has to be a sensor that automatically turns on tail lights when it gets dark.

Accordingly, the easiest solution is to keep the dash lights off when the DRLs are on. That is really the problem - people thinking their lights are on because the DRLs are lighting up the road ahead and they can see their dash.

sbarrett4

Ready to race!
The number of morons I see driving around at dusk with no lights on in dark colored cars is staggering. Had they had DRLs it wouldn't be an issue.

I was just going to clarify my comments and make a similar point. I see plenty of cars with only DRLs on at night, no other lights. Because the driver doesn't realize they aren't the headlghts and doesn't turn on the lights. Another reason I don't like them and maybe the reason subconsciously I turned mine off - so I am forced to turn on my lights when appropriate.

cb1111

I was just going to clarify my comments and make a similar point. I see plenty of cars with only DRLs on at night, no other lights. Because the driver doesn't realize they aren't the headlghts and doesn't turn on the lights. Another reason I don't like them and maybe the reason subconsciously I turned mine off - so I am forced to turn on my lights when appropriate.
I l 'liked" your post because of your comments on taillights, but I disagree that you should turn your DRLs off.

As drivers get worse with driving aids and expecting DRLs on cars, your car may "disappear" on the road (especially on some of those hilly back roads in PA.

Even though if they pull out in front you makes it their fault, it isn't going to do you much good - except for something to put on your headstone.

cb1111

But you can't see anything with those little bulbs (or LED U's if you have lighting package) so how can one drive around like that and see anything? On some cars I can see the confusion because their DRLs are almost full headlight light output.
Kinda-sorta. In town, you don't really "need" your headlights, so if you can see your dash lights, you may think your lights are on.

I've done that (once) when I picked my car up from the dealer after some warranty work. I normally have the car in the "auto" setting and they always turn it off. I got a block or so before I realized that they were off. I won't do that again...