GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Stand to side of car. 2 hands, left pulls, right pushes. I've debated some plumbers silicone in the threads before.....

I used plumbers silicone on the threads and even though I didn't need to add coolant I unscrewed it after 2 months just to check how hard it was to still unscrew it and it made it much easier. It was actually silicone for swimming pool use but it's probably the same thing.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
IIRC you can fit a wide flathead screwdriver or trim removal tool horizontally in the cap and use it to carefully twist. I usually just use Diggs method and pull with my left hand while pushing with my right thumb

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
so the other day (cold in the teens) I had to redo my auto up windows. It MAY be cranking a bit slower.....early battery failure?

2 1/2 yrs
Sounds like it. Mine was 3 years and 12k miles in when it tapped out. Started with slow windows with the engine off, then slow cranking, then dead....

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I used plumbers silicone on the threads and even though I didn't need to add coolant I unscrewed it after 2 months just to check how hard it was to still unscrew it and it made it much easier. It was actually silicone for swimming pool use but it's probably the same thing.
I never had this problem, but there are always solutions if you don't have the upper body strength.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I never had this problem, but there are always solutions if you don't have the upper body strength.

I didn't have the problem either but because it was a little hard to remove I just figured I'll make it so it could be removed more easily if you don't remove it for a year or two.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
For the first time I was messing around with my fog lights yesterday. I usually put it in "auto", set it and forget it mode. So my dumb question is, why do people put the "Euro" headlight switch in so they can have their fogs on, when on the stock switch you can turn it to auto and pull the knob out to turn on the fogs? Why not just leave it like that, what am I missing?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
For the first time I was messing around with my fog lights yesterday. I usually put it in "auto", set it and forget it mode. So my dumb question is, why do people put the "Euro" headlight switch in so they can have their fogs on, when on the stock switch you can turn it to auto and pull the knob out to turn on the fogs? Why not just leave it like that, what am I missing?

because they should have just bought an OBDeleven and activated it that way. OR.....they wanted to add a rear fog mod.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
because they should have just bought an OBDeleven and activated it that way. OR.....they wanted to add a rear fog mod.
Its so you can have just your fogs and DRL's on without the headlights. If you have it in auto and turn the fogs on your headlights will always be on even if its light outside

sbarrett4

Ready to race!
Its so you can have just your fogs and DRL's on without the headlights. If you have it in auto and turn the fogs on your headlights will always be on even if its light outside

This. I don't like DRL's so I shut mine off. With the Euro switch I can have just fogs on in inclement weather during the day or at dusk when headlights aren't needed yet but some visibility to other vehicles might be useful.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Gotcha. Did this through OBD and just leave mine in off, but that's because it's tied to my boost gauge. I mean, the coming home function is cool, but not really needed in my case

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
This. I don't like DRL's so I shut mine off. With the Euro switch I can have just fogs on in inclement weather during the day or at dusk when headlights aren't needed yet but some visibility to other vehicles might be useful.
Depending on your state laws it may be illegal to drive with headlights off at dawn/dusk (not just foglights, actual projector headlights). Also people forget that if your wipers are on, your headlights must be on in many states.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
. Also people forget that if your wipers are on, your headlights must be on in many states.

This....I CANNOT stand people who drive in a rain storm with headlights off....

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
curiosity...why don't you like them? You can't see them from inside car...not trying to break stones