GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

badleaf

Hmm, OK, just curious because if you didn't have the correct 5 series door modules you would have functional door mirrors, but without the reverse dip, puddle lights or folding mirrors working.
Yea, I saw other people had problems bc they had regular Golfs, but GTIs shouldn’t have a problem and should be plug and play. So I’m not sure why it is not working for me. I contacted the OBD11 support and hopefully they will have a solution.

badleaf

Yea, I saw other people had problems bc they had regular Golfs, but GTIs shouldn’t have a problem and should be plug and play. So I’m not sure why it is not working for me. I contacted the OBD11 support and hopefully they will have a solution.
Update: OBD11 support told me that maybe it is maybe because my mirrors are not OEM... which doesn’t make sense because other people got aftermarket mirrors to work properly. I’m pretty bummed since I spent money on power folding mirrors and they’re not working. :(

Anyone have suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this issue?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Update: OBD11 support told me that maybe it is maybe because my mirrors are not OEM... which doesn’t make sense because other people got aftermarket mirrors to work properly. I’m pretty bummed since I spent money on power folding mirrors and they’re not working. :(

There should be lots of videos online, try shopdap videos make sure the install was correct, all wires are in ect, try reaching out to whoever sold you the mirrors they will most likely help unless you got them from like some crazy place

Edit: also post to the obd11 thread on here, way more helpful than the actual obd11 fourm

badleaf

There should be lots of videos online, try shopdap videos make sure the install was correct, all wires are in ect, try reaching out to whoever sold you the mirrors they will most likely help unless you got them from like some crazy place

Edit: also post to the obd11 thread on here, way more helpful than the actual obd11 fourm
I actually did watch the shopDAP install video! Even though I went to a local body shop to install them ?. I’m assuming they installed correctly since the heated mirrors work and I can adjust the mirrors electronically?
And I actually did order the power folding mirrors from shopDAP. I reached out to them and they said it should be plug and play once I get the coding in OBD11. Now I’m not sure what’s exactly wrong.. the wiring or the coding? I will also post in the OBD11 thread. Thanks!

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE

I've found that a few of the OBD11 quick apps don't work on 2017s for some reason. I bought and installed by power folding mirrors from AliExpress and long coded them with instructions I found on the forms. They work great. You can code them to fold/unfold with lock/unlock keyfob presses or manually fold them in with the new door card switch (I'm assuming you received the new switch too). I can try to search the write up I used and report back.

badleaf

I've found that a few of the OBD11 quick apps don't work on 2017s for some reason. I bought and installed by power folding mirrors from AliExpress and long coded them with instructions I found on the forms. They work great. You can code them to fold/unfold with lock/unlock keyfob presses or manually fold them in with the new door card switch (I'm assuming you received the new switch too). I can try to search the write up I used and report back.
Hi, thanks so much for the info! I did receive the new switch and that does not work for the power folding mirrors.. (yet). I currently have the OBD11 Next Gen which does not offer the pro version yet (long coding).

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Oh, that's weird. Why would they release a new version without full features? Or is this for the new iOS app?

Do you see the folding mirror option in the infotainment menu options? i think it's under wipers/mirrors.

If not, the long coding is available in this post.

badleaf

Oh, that's weird. Why would they release a new version without full features? Or is this for the new iOS app?

Do you see the folding mirror option in the infotainment menu options? i think it's under wipers/mirrors.

If not, the long coding is available in this post.
Yea, this is for the iOS. They are still developing the long coding features. And I do see the folding mirror option in the wipers/mirrors section. I checked that off and still doesn’t fold. Does the long coding just enable that option in the infotainment menu?

edrex

Ready to race!
Does the long coding just enable that option in the infotainment menu?
No, the long coding tells the car it has power folding mirrors now and what to do with them. Its required in addition to making sure the option is checked in the infotainment unit.
Can you maybe borrow someones android and do the coding that way? The new obdeleven should work for both

badleaf

No, the long coding tells the car it has power folding mirrors now and what to do with them. Its required in addition to making sure the option is checked in the infotainment unit.
Can you maybe borrow someones android and do the coding that way? The new obdeleven should work for both
Thanks for the info! My question now is, why didn’t the one click function do all the required things? And I will ask a friend to borrow his phone and see if I can get it working by long coding.

edrex

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info! My question now is, why didn’t the one click function do all the required things? And I will ask a friend to borrow his phone and see if I can get it working by long coding.
The apps are like running a script on a computer... its a list of commands run in sequence to program the feature. If one bit of that list of commands is different for your car than others it could lead to the app not working. Long coding lets you get in there and run the steps yourself which lets you do a little troubleshooting if one bit doesn't work or one of the options is labeled slightly differently.

badleaf

The apps are like running a script on a computer... its a list of commands run in sequence to program the feature. If one bit of that list of commands is different for your car than others it could lead to the app not working. Long coding lets you get in there and run the steps yourself which lets you do a little troubleshooting if one bit doesn't work or one of the options is labeled slightly differently.
Gotcha! Makes sense to me now. Thanks so much for the explanation. I guess my next step is to get an Android device and buy the Pro version and code it myself.

edrex

Ready to race!
Gotcha! Makes sense to me now. Thanks so much for the explanation. I guess my next step is to get an Android device and buy the Pro version and code it myself.
I bought a cheap android tablet to use. I've heard of people buying cheap android prepaid phones and then just not activating them too

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Some 2.0s have issue with clutch causing failure of a main bearing/crankwalk.

Do the 1.8s have the same issue with the 6MT?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Now that it is cold, constant high 20's to 30's max low 40, my windshield seems to being making a bunch of noise, on cold start while driving around every little bump an odd noise happens. This is an aftermarket windshield as first got a crack. I do remember seeing a post where someone put some sort of felt between the windshield and center plastic that is above (I think) can anyone speak on this, would this help with my small clunks. Once car is fully warmed up and everything is hot, there is usually a lot less noise. Does anyone else have this issue, it sounds like it is coming from where the rear view mirror is.