GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

edrex

Ready to race!
First set of coilovers installed. Started on full soft all the way around. Had some pretty bad oversteer turning left while moderately accelerating from a stop.
That means I need to stiffen up the rears, right? What is the best procedure as far as dialing in the right amount of stiffness?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Larger Rotors on non PP car.
Can you simply swap out OEM rotors for larger rotors on a non PP GTI (early 2015) for a larger set - leaving original calipers in place?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
First set of coilovers installed. Started on full soft all the way around. Had some pretty bad oversteer turning left while moderately accelerating from a stop.
That means I need to stiffen up the rears, right? What is the best procedure as far as dialing in the right amount of stiffness?

Do you mean understeer?

edrex

Ready to race!
Stiffening the rear while it’s already over steering will make the problem worse. Either stiffen the front or soften the rear.
Thank you. Rear is as soft as it goes right now so I'll add some clicks to the front and go from there

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Thank you. Rear is as soft as it goes right now so I'll add some clicks to the front and go from there
Aftermarket rear sway bars can also exacerbate oversteer since coilovers are already much stiffer than stock suspension. If you have an adjustable rear sway bar you might want to put it at a looser setting. Adding camber in the rear would also help.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Larger Rotors on non PP car.
Can you simply swap out OEM rotors for larger rotors on a non PP GTI (early 2015) for a larger set - leaving original calipers in place?

Nope....the 312mm to 340mm swap involves different calipers & carriers..the 312mm (GTI) has a 57mm piston..the 340mm (PP) has a 60mm piston.....

even on the my 288mm to 312mm swap which uses the same caliper, I required different carriers to move the caliper further away from the hub to give more room for the larger diameter discs..

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Back end started swinging around and I had to steer into it a little to catch traction again.

I didn't think that coil overs would do that with the natural tendency of the GTI to understeer. Did you add a RSB also?

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I ran 235s on a 7.5 wide wheel and it felt good.

Would that work with an 18" x 7.5" wheel? I would like to run 235/40/18 tires ( stock is 225/40 ) but the minimum recommended width is 8".

JD-1

Ready to race!
I've honestly never jacked up my own car but want to because check something under my car without asking someone to help. In the rear can I use a floor jack to jack the car up from the pitch weld? Or is there another spot..? I am trying to raise the car so I can try to spray some lubricant into my LCA bushings.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I've honestly never jacked up my own car but want to because check something under my car without asking someone to help. In the rear can I use a floor jack to jack the car up from the pitch weld? Or is there another spot..? I am trying to raise the car so I can try to spray some lubricant into my LCA bushings.
Yes, at the pinch weld. VW even put an arrow on the underside of the rocker to show you where.