GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

Yep, thinking of it. VCDS is a bit out there at the moment for basically scans and preference changes so will probably get an OBDeleven to start. I checked it the other I've and for what it is If rather go with the one with a company a bit more invested, once they confirm the 2019 compatibility update.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Are you suggesting that Obdeleven is more invested than Ross-Tech (VCDS)?

Must be a newbie.
Let me clarify for those who don't understand the history.

The first reasonably available VAG software was from a company called ShadeTree software that ran on the Palm Pilot. When the Palm Pilot went away , ProDiag lost the customer base but it was still updated to 2015 or so.

Around 2000, Ross-Tech started selling VAG-COM. RT is a group of techs that designed this software to augment the VW systems in use at dealerships and to allow individual owners to check codes and make changes. VAG-COM morphed into VCDS somewhere mid/late 2000's and was a name change more than anything else.

In 2014 (ish) a Lithuanian group of coders put OBDeleven together. They are not techs and users rely heavily on the RossTech forums for (car) technical support because the coders can't help.

RossTech, in the US, is undoubtedly the leader, with OBDeleven being the poor relative that has a flaky business model and, I suspect, will go the way of Pro-Diag.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
No. I forgot the name of the Amazon one (Clarita or whatever it is). if you're that touchy just about an OBD scanner perhaps you should take a breath or two.

Ok you’re talking about Obdeleven being more functional / feature rich than Carista.

Your previous post that I quoted was not clear.

No need for a timeout. Just wanted to clarify.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Let me clarify for those who don't understand the history.

The first reasonably available VAG software was from a company called ShadeTree software that ran on the Palm Pilot. When the Palm Pilot went away , ProDiag lost the customer base but it was still updated to 2015 or so.

Around 2000, Ross-Tech started selling VAG-COM. RT is a group of techs that designed this software to augment the VW systems in use at dealerships and to allow individual owners to check codes and make changes. VAG-COM morphed into VCDS somewhere mid/late 2000's and was a name change more than anything else.

In 2014 (ish) a Lithuanian group of coders put OBDeleven together. They are not techs and users rely heavily on the RossTech forums for (car) technical support because the coders can't help.

RossTech, in the US, is undoubtedly the leader, with OBDeleven being the poor relative that has a flaky business model and, I suspect, will go the way of Pro-Diag.

Interesting history on VAG-COM / VCDS. Thanks for sharing.

Palm Pilot...wow, haven’t heard that in a long time.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
After a wheel alignment & subframe shift the car seems to be surprising smoother than what I initially thought after getting my springs/shocks/struts installed. Not complaining, i'm just more curious as to how it happens? Shocks/struts/springs just seemed to be more planted.

Never owned a lowered car, so I know nothing about this process.

Did you purchase the official VW sport suspension kit part 5G4071677E?

I am thinking of doing the same if so. Supposedly it makes the regular Golf feel a lot more stable and less "bouncy" without sacrificing much in the way of ride quality. The installed price at my local dealer seems to be $578.70 before a discount coupon I have. The Golf sits far too high at stock. I park next to a base Jetta at work and even it appears to be lower.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I've been to two dealerships and they've both told me this is normal, but I've been driving for a long time and have never experienced this in a car. Can others with GTI's let me know if what I'm experiencing is normal:

When I have my foot pressed on the brakes and steer the wheel all the way to one side, the rear of the car makes a cranking sound (probably rear rotors/brakes) This occurs when pulling out of parking spots or parallel parking. I have noticed that if I fully push on the brakes and steer the wheel, I don't get this sound (the harder I brake the less movement in the rear of the car and you don't get this sound -- but when I release the brakes and the steering wheel is fully cranked to one side, I get a sound as I'm releasing brakes). Generally, when I'm pushing the brakes less than 90% hard and steer all the way to one side, it almost feels like the rear body of the car moves a bit and causes a cranking sound with the brakes.

Is this normal for VW GTIs? I have a 2019 Canadian base model which as the PP brakes if that makes a difference.

This sounds a lot like the same issue I have with my Golf. Usually while driving slow and using the brakes on and off while either turning or going over rough surfaces I can hear both my front and rear brake parts "rubbing." To begin with I thought there was something wrong with my suspension but I think it is due to the pads and/or rotors deteriorating. The rotors have a rusting coating on them where they make contact. I just had my 20K service done which included a brake inspection and they told me everything is fine lol.

tnthlttr

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you purchase the official VW sport suspension kit part 5G4071677E?

I am thinking of doing the same if so. Supposedly it makes the regular Golf feel a lot more stable and less "bouncy" without sacrificing much in the way of ride quality. The installed price at my local dealer seems to be $578.70 before a discount coupon I have. The Golf sits far too high at stock. I park next to a base Jetta at work and even it appears to be lower.

My set-up is EMD springs with B8s, and it’s comparable to stock with a slight stiffness. I don’t think its too low, just closed the wheel gap and slightly more.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
My set-up is EMD springs with B8s, and it’s comparable to stock with a slight stiffness. I don’t think its too low, just closed the wheel gap and slightly more.

That looks pretty low to me but not too low. Any idea how much lower than stock?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've been to two dealerships and they've both told me this is normal, but I've been driving for a long time and have never experienced this in a car. Can others with GTI's let me know if what I'm experiencing is normal:

When I have my foot pressed on the brakes and steer the wheel all the way to one side, the rear of the car makes a cranking sound (probably rear rotors/brakes) This occurs when pulling out of parking spots or parallel parking. I have noticed that if I fully push on the brakes and steer the wheel, I don't get this sound (the harder I brake the less movement in the rear of the car and you don't get this sound -- but when I release the brakes and the steering wheel is fully cranked to one side, I get a sound as I'm releasing brakes). Generally, when I'm pushing the brakes less than 90% hard and steer all the way to one side, it almost feels like the rear body of the car moves a bit and causes a cranking sound with the brakes.

Is this normal for VW GTIs? I have a 2019 Canadian base model which as the PP brakes if that makes a difference.

No that is not normal.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No. I forgot the name of the Amazon one (Clarita or whatever it is). if you're that touchy just about an OBD scanner perhaps you should take a breath or two.

It's Carista and it's an Android app not Amazon.