GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Ok, next one: Is the boost sensor on the Mk7.5 the one way down below the alternator/A/C bit on the front of the engine, somewhat on the left side looking at it that's a pain to get to? I'm working on installing my piggyback but the instructions provided show images I believe of older/different versions where it's on the right side near the intake. I've let them know about it.

I believe it only attaches to the MAP and the Sensor Booster (former being on top of the engine), similar to the Neuspeed setup. If those locations are accurate I just need to figure how to route the wiring.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Ok, next one: Is the boost sensor on the Mk7.5 the one way down below the alternator/A/C bit on the front of the engine, somewhat on the left side looking at it that's a pain to get to? I'm working on installing my piggyback but the instructions provided show images I believe of older/different versions where it's on the right side near the intake. I've let them know about it.

I believe it only attaches to the MAP and the Sensor Booster (former being on top of the engine), similar to the Neuspeed setup. If those locations are accurate I just need to figure how to route the wiring.

There are 2 sensors, one down in charge pipe, one up on intake manifold. Only jb1/jb4 uses charge pipe that I know of. More than likely yours is just like the Neuspeed.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
One more time since I asked already and want to try again for if someone who has the answer missed it the first time.

I want to get an AFR gauge to try and keep an eye on it while driving without having to log with JB1. Could I tape off the existing wideband sensor wires somehow to install one?

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
There are 2 sensors, one down in charge pipe, one up on intake manifold. Only jb1/jb4 uses charge pipe that I know of. More than likely yours is just like the Neuspeed.

Thanks, that's probably it. Mine is Chipwerke, says to use the one on the charge pipe and another (non-specified in the instructions but the image seems to match MAP). Neuspeed says to hook one of theirs to the charge pipe boost sensor as well along with the MAP. So sounds like they're all likely using the same connections.

Knock on wood it'll be on tonight if I can get it done before my daughter's class.

tnthlttr

Passed Driver's Ed
After a wheel alignment & subframe shift the car seems to be surprising smoother than what I initially thought after getting my springs/shocks/struts installed. Not complaining, i'm just more curious as to how it happens? Shocks/struts/springs just seemed to be more planted.

Never owned a lowered car, so I know nothing about this process.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Will a CEL clear itself if the reason for it is taken care of?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Usually. If the CEL light being on bothers you and you can't erase it most auto parts stores will erase it for free. It should go away after several cycles of turning the car on and off.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Usually. If the CEL light being on bothers you and you can't erase it most auto parts stores will erase it for free. It should go away after several cycles of turning the car on and off.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking but wanted to check.

theglowpt3

I've been to two dealerships and they've both told me this is normal, but I've been driving for a long time and have never experienced this in a car. Can others with GTI's let me know if what I'm experiencing is normal:

When I have my foot pressed on the brakes and steer the wheel all the way to one side, the rear of the car makes a cranking sound (probably rear rotors/brakes) This occurs when pulling out of parking spots or parallel parking. I have noticed that if I fully push on the brakes and steer the wheel, I don't get this sound (the harder I brake the less movement in the rear of the car and you don't get this sound -- but when I release the brakes and the steering wheel is fully cranked to one side, I get a sound as I'm releasing brakes). Generally, when I'm pushing the brakes less than 90% hard and steer all the way to one side, it almost feels like the rear body of the car moves a bit and causes a cranking sound with the brakes.

Is this normal for VW GTIs? I have a 2019 Canadian base model which as the PP brakes if that makes a difference.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Will a CEL clear itself if the reason for it is taken care of?

Yes but i recommend buying OBD-11 or what i use VCDS to scan and make mods to your car. There are whole threads dedicated to VCDS mods.

Most importantly it can do full scans and tell you everything that is going on with your car, even things that don't throw a cel.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Yep, thinking of it. VCDS is a bit out there at the moment for basically scans and preference changes so will probably get an OBDeleven to start. I checked it the other I've and for what it is If rather go with the one with a company a bit more invested, once they confirm the 2019 compatibility update.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Yep, thinking of it. VCDS is a bit out there at the moment for basically scans and preference changes so will probably get an OBDeleven to start. I checked it the other I've and for what it is If rather go with the one with a company a bit more invested, once they confirm the 2019 compatibility update.

Are you suggesting that Obdeleven is more invested than Ross-Tech (VCDS)?