GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Is my oil level low and does this look dark for 4k miles since last oil change? How do you interpret this dip stick?

2017 GTI with 24k miles. Intake & downpipe, no tune.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT

Wolf799

Passed Driver's Ed
So I've noticed that the "Mode" button is dangerously close to the "Start/Stop Engine" button. I've always been a little weary about this fact. Would anything happen if I were to accidentally press the Start/stop button while the car was still in drive?

The car would turn off... it did that on my 15, Haven’t tried it on my 18. All you do is put it in neutral and rest your foot on the Harald to restart in motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolf799

Passed Driver's Ed
This surprised me a bit too, but my button doesn't light up at all. I think it's like this by design.

It will pop up a message asking if you're really sure you want to turn off the engine. So you have to push Engine Off twice in order for it to actually turn it off while driving.

So it sounds like they fixed that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Currently getting a vibration around 75mph. It was slightly worse with spacers, took them off, still doing it. Should I have the wheel re-balanced? I’m pretty sure that’s it’s driver front. Or do I need to consider the whee bearing?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Currently getting a vibration around 75mph. It was slightly worse with spacers, took them off, still doing it. Should I have the wheel re-balanced? I’m pretty sure that’s it’s driver front. Or do I need to consider the whee bearing?

Try a balance first.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
I'm bringing my car for so warranty work... Getting P173400 and B116229 intermittent codes when I scan with OBDEleven. Is it fair for me to straight up ask the dealer if they are going to flag the car TD1 or not perform the warranty work when I drop the car off? There's another dealer an hour away that is a Unitronic dealer and mod friendly, but I'd rather not drive or remove the downpipe (no software tune), intake, and dogbone insert.

Xyphire

Cleaning the plastic of the cluster. What would you recommend that won't scratch it?

Was thinking of going at it with compressed air to get loose stuff, and a fine paint brush and get the stuck on, but would require extreme light brushing, or clear scotch tape around the finger and light dabbing.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Cleaning the plastic of the cluster. What would you recommend that won't scratch it?

Was thinking of going at it with compressed air to get loose stuff, and a fine paint brush and get the stuck on, but would require extreme light brushing, or clear scotch tape around the finger and light dabbing.

Pretty much that. The swiffer feather duster (or whatever its called) works really well according to some users. If you want to use a microfiber towel, people suggest a longer fiber and to wet it. Only use it after blowing off the dust.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Check all your tires inside wall and outside for any bulges in the sidewall. I have one on my one tire and it causes a vibration in that range.
Pretty much that. The swiffer feather duster (or whatever its called) works really well according to some users. If you want to use a microfiber towel, people suggest a longer fiber and to wet it. Only use it after blowing off the dust.
+1 on the swiffer duster. I keep one in my door pocket and it works great for dusting everything on the interior

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I'm bringing my car for so warranty work... Getting P173400 and B116229 intermittent codes when I scan with OBDEleven. Is it fair for me to straight up ask the dealer if they are going to flag the car TD1 or not perform the warranty work when I drop the car off? There's another dealer an hour away that is a Unitronic dealer and mod friendly, but I'd rather not drive or remove the downpipe (no software tune), intake, and dogbone insert.
go ahead and ask....some dealers are better. However you will have to trust their answer.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
If you were getting your oil changed at an independent shop, would you expect them to drain from the plug or would you say that sucking it up from the dip stick is acceptable?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
If you were getting your oil changed at an independent shop, would you expect them to drain from the plug or would you say that sucking it up from the dip stick is acceptable?

Theres tons of thread about this. They all end in arguments and nobody agrees on an answer. I use an extractor, I don't have an issue with it. All comes down to what you think is best for your car. If a few teaspoons of old oil don't come out, I'm fine by it.

Last edited: