GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

ghost_03

Ready to race!
I know that the soundaktor pumps noise into the cabin. Is it also pumping noise outside?

My understanding is that it sends vibrations through the windshield. So I would assume it's sending as much sound outside as it is inside. That said, given the location, and that it's relative to other noise outside the car, I doubt it's nearly as audible from the outside.

turboBear

Passed Driver's Ed
Infotainment aside, I like android better since it's more customizable and works with obd11. I personally hate the ios interface, having to pay ridiculous money for chargers, and the other general bs that is Apple. I'll stop now before I get flamed. Lol

I've never used apple CarPlay, walked away from iOS a few years ago and never gone back.

I have a MK7 GTI Sport I picked up just after Christmas '16.

Currently have a Galaxy S7 Edge. Works great the car over bluetooth - full integration with messaging (including reading/sending sms with the head unit) and A2DP audio for music playback. No album art, but ID3 tag readout is fine. No problem with constant- or variable- bit-rate music.

Android Auto is stable for my use, just I have very limited use of it. Navigation (Google Maps) works fine, use via the infotainment is easy-peasy. Music control and playback is fine, album art support for stuff which Play music can read (not all my mp3/mp4 files have clean tag data). Speaks SMS messaging to me on reception, lets me answer via voice control, no big complaints.

The app support for Android Auto isn't gigantic, but there are some.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3001303_android_auto_all?hl=en

Android idiosyncracies ...

If you have a variety of much playback apps they may or not interfere with each other, or the bluetooth integration, or the AA integration. Just depends on the apps. I currently only have Play Music installed and everything works perfectly. I have also used Samsung Music for audio support and it worked 100% with the bluetooth integration, but is not AA compatible.

AA will depend upon a high quality cable connection, for sure. I am currently using this magnetic cable and it works fine - once I made sure that it's never yanked in an angle when the phone is in the holder I have for it..

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MA6JT6K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of these little guys for holding my phone in the cubby beneath the head unit:

http://www.d-docks.com/

Took me a bit to get the setup tweaked for stability, but now that I spent the time it has proven reliable. Even with the suspension in Sport mode on the winter roads of NE Pennsylvania.

I wish that more apps would be supported in Android Auto (like Waze, and *gasp* a web browser for information search) but they're not, yet.

6_speed_GTI

Car(s)
2016 GTI 6 MT, Black
Waze would be...spectacular.

I'm an Apple user and I experience almost all of the exact same things you do. In lots of cases besides the navigation, I would generally prefer to use the Bluetooth connection. It just seems to work better, but obviously won't display anything on the screen.

I try to search using voice on the phone while it's connected via CarPlay, and it tells me it can't do that while I'm in the car. Not helpful, even if I'm stopped at a red light.

Royal1

Ready to race!
Is there a way to turn on Ed's Rep DRL's and fogs when i unlock my car? I know that you can set coming home with the OEM lighting package but is it the same with Rep's?

fsr1

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh, I have a stupid question! Cruise control/Manual

I have a new 17 SE manual. I've driven GTI's for roughly a million years and I loathe the cruise control in this car. The stalk mounted controls in my 2012 were so much more to my liking.

Anyway, on to the stupid question: Is there any way to change the behavior of pressing the clutch while in cruise? In any other previous GTI if you did, it cancelled the cruise. In this thing it tries to freaking kill you!

Example: My drive to work has a downhill exit off the freeway. I, for the past 10 years, would come off the gas and begin to downshift, slowing for the traffic light, no need for brakes unless the light is red. In this car if I downshift it does not cancel the cruise so it tries to accelerate. I need to tap the brakes or hit cancel on the steering wheel. I've also read that a long clutch press will cancel it, but that's just stupid!

Lot's of changes in these cars since my first one in (84) yes, I'm old. Most of the changes have been for the better, but I can't come to grips with this one.

Rant over....

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I have a new 17 SE manual. I've driven GTI's for roughly a million years and I loathe the cruise control in this car. The stalk mounted controls in my 2012 were so much more to my liking.

Anyway, on to the stupid question: Is there any way to change the behavior of pressing the clutch while in cruise? In any other previous GTI if you did, it cancelled the cruise. In this thing it tries to freaking kill you!

Example: My drive to work has a downhill exit off the freeway. I, for the past 10 years, would come off the gas and begin to downshift, slowing for the traffic light, no need for brakes unless the light is red. In this car if I downshift it does not cancel the cruise so it tries to accelerate. I need to tap the brakes or hit cancel on the steering wheel. I've also read that a long clutch press will cancel it, but that's just stupid!

Lot's of changes in these cars since my first one in (84) yes, I'm old. Most of the changes have been for the better, but I can't come to grips with this one.

Rant over....

I was shocked by this the first time it happened. Thought my accelerator was stuck or something, but now I know to just tap brakes or hit cancel.

On the reverse side, when you're cruising along and come upon a hill, you can just downshift and keep on your way without resetting cruise.