GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Comedy1234

APR has dealers here in the Bay Area. I've not heard of them refusing to sell/install downpipes. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE

I've called a couple of shops in and around the bay area, and they've told me they can't do it. If you know of an APR dealer in the area that is willing to do a DP shoot me a pm please.

golface

Ready to race!
Agree driving a stick with your left hand only is doable, just have to be slower than normal and extra careful.
So if I purchased let's say one off a member on here, will they be able to shop it here?
If you cant find a shop in SD just drive down to TJ.

Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
Usually have 2 phones with me so I usually throw them on the passenger seat while they're plugged in.
Problem is when they sometimes trigger the seat belt chime as if someone is sitting there.

1 ) don't know what kind of sensor but you would think it could discern that a 1lb adult didn't exist

2) can you disable the chime

how big is your phone....:eek:
I put mine there all the time and it doesn't register

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
They're both Notes. If I only have 1 , it doesn't trigger, only if 2 and they slide towards the middle of the seat. Not on bolsters

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
My stupid question

Driving 6speed gti with broken arm (mine is a shattered radius) how bad was it and any driving tips used to make it less painful.

Easy

FT : lhd gti for rhd gti

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Arm shmarm, I drove myself home after a wee procedure on my right shoulder I could hardly move my arm :eek: (right-hand drive, UK). Ok, not the brightest thing to do (really ?!) but I'd practiced already mosty using my left arm, the hospital wasn't far from home with mostly straight roads, the op left me with more pain and less movement than I was previously assured. Wouldn't necessarily reccomend anyone doing it but sometimes needs must :rolleyes:....

phant0m

Ready to race!
Car(s)
I got rear ended last week, car is in the shop now. No MAJOR damage, just rear bumper, hatch and quarter panels. Frame is fine. Other party was 100% at fault.

I've heard that I can ask the insurance company to do something about the "diminished value" of the vehicle... basically car is brand new, now that there's an accident attached to the VIN, the resale value will never be as high as if there was no accident.

Anyone ever have any experience asking the insurance company about this?

It's a 2016 GTI, SE, PP, LP, DCC. 1100 miles. Sticker price was over $34k.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I've heard that I can ask the insurance company to do something about the "diminished value" of the vehicle... basically car is brand new, now that there's an accident attached to the VIN, the resale value will never be as high as if there was no accident.

Yes it's possible, will you ever get full value? Probably not.

You have to get a letter from either dealership, body shop, professional appraiser with the current before and after valuation.
I.e. With accident and after. That being said, insurance companies will try to get away for as little as possible.

E.g. Sister had a brand new MB GL450 ($85k) that was hit. $7k in damage.
Got a letter from dealership that the value went down $7k due to the fact that if they were going to sell it, they would list it for that much less because of damage and they can't list as certified.

Insurance paid out $1k diminished value.

Sure you could go further and get a lawyer involved but the ROI isn't there.

Last edited:

phant0m

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Yes it's possible, will you ever get full value? Probably not.

You have to get a letter from either dealership, body shop, professional appraiser with the current before and after valuation.
I.e. With accident and after. That being said, insurance companies will try to get away for as little as possible.

E.g. Sister had a brand new MB GL450 ($85k) that was hit. $7k in damage.
Got a letter from dealership that the value went down $7k due to the fact that if they were going to sell it, they would list it for that much less because of damage and they can't list as certified.

Insurance paid out $1k diminished value.

Sure you could go further and get a lawyer involved but the ROI isn't there.

Cool..thanks for the input! I figured I'd ask to see what they can do; maybe get a dealership/body shop appraisal and then try to haggle with the insurance company. I'm not looking to get anything out of this, but it certainly doesn't hurt to try.

i'll see what they say. Thanks!

6_speed_GTI

Car(s)
2016 GTI 6 MT, Black
Usually have 2 phones with me so I usually throw them on the passenger seat while they're plugged in.
Problem is when they sometimes trigger the seat belt chime as if someone is sitting there.

1 ) don't know what kind of sensor but you would think it could discern that a 1lb adult didn't exist

2) can you disable the chime

I'm pretty sure that sensor isn't based on weight, but electrical capacitance or some other kind of sensor that a briefcase won't trigger but a plugged-in cell phone (or other metallic object) might. So if you try hauling some pots and pans or a window air conditioner in the front seat, it may also give you the seat belt warning :cool:

Do you still get the warning if the phone isn't plugged in? I also generally put mine in the center console below the radio next to the USB port.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I'm pretty sure that sensor isn't based on weight, but electrical capacitance or some other kind of sensor that a briefcase won't trigger but a plugged-in cell phone (or other metallic object) So if you try hauling some pots and pans or a window air conditioner in the front seat, it may also give you the seat belt warning :cool

Do you still get the warning if the phone isn't plugged in? I also generally put mine in the center console below the radio next to the USB port.

You were spot on. Was driving this whole time with my backpack in the passenger seat with no chime. Didn't even pay attention till I read this. So then I put both phones in the passenger seat unplugged. Again, nothing. When I plugged them in...chime.
Genius I tell you! Thanks