GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Usually have 2 phones with me so I usually throw them on the passenger seat while they're plugged in.
Problem is when they sometimes trigger the seat belt chime as if someone is sitting there.

1 ) don't know what kind of sensor but you would think it could discern that a 1lb adult didn't exist

2) can you disable the chime

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Usually have 2 phones with me so I usually throw them on the passenger seat while they're plugged in.
Problem is when they sometimes trigger the seat belt chime as if someone is sitting there.

1 ) don't know what kind of sensor but you would think it could discern that a 1lb adult didn't exist

2) can you disable the chime

Yes, you need VCDS or buy one of those dummy seatbelt clicky thingy forgot the name, simulates the seatbelt so no chime

Sent from the Moon using Tapatalk

Comedy1234

Another stupid question:

In California, I bought a 2015 gti (used) am I required to smog every 2 years? Or is it till 7 years from when car was produced so 2022. I was thinking adding DP catless

I'm not entirely sure on when you'll need to get the car emissions tested, but I do know from personal experience APR and most manufacturers of DP won't ship them to California because they're actually illegal. There's no CARB certified DP and most ships won't install them, even if you managed to find one that did. Bummer, I know.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
I'm not entirely sure on when you'll need to get the car emissions tested, but I do know from personal experience APR and most manufacturers of DP won't ship them to California because they're actually illegal. There's no CARB certified DP and most ships won't install them, even if you managed to find one that did. Bummer, I know.

So if I purchased let's say one off a member on here, will they be able to shop it here?

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Why do I keep loosing the calibration on my sunroof ?

I used VCDS to program the key-fob for window/sunroof-open/close. After doing it, I used VCDS to cycle and calibrate the sunroof open and close end points.

It worked fine for several months, but now I need to hold the sunroof button to get it to work, a single press no longer works. And, the key fob no longer works (related to the sunroof calibration)

I haven't disconnected the battery, or done anything unusual. I did have my first oil change at the dealer. It seems unlikely, but would they have done something to make it loose calibration (disconnect the batter or something?)

I can re-calibrate it easy enough, just curious what the issue might be.

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
My stupid question

Driving 6speed gti with broken arm (mine is a shattered radius) how bad was it and any driving tips used to make it less painful.

Shift with your left hand and just take your time (practice somewhere first) - and then you can probably drive 1 handed if you avoid shifting while turning.

OR

Have someone shift for you.... though this is probably not recommended.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion

APR has dealers here in the Bay Area. I've not heard of them refusing to sell/install downpipes. Am I missing something?

Stripey

Ready to race!
Shift with your left hand and just take your time (practice somewhere first) - and then you can probably drive 1 handed if you avoid shifting while turning.

OR

Have someone shift for you.... though this is probably not recommended.

Eh? So you think a) it's safe to drive with a broken arm and b) it's apparently safer to drive one handed than to get someone else to change gear?! Oh dear #onlyinamerica

Mercfh

Ready to race!
How long do you guys/gals with 1.8T's slip your clutch? I feel like I need to for longer than normal to make it smooth otherwise I feel like the RPM's dip way to fast to make it smooth.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Yes, you need VCDS or buy one of those dummy seatbelt clicky thingy forgot the name, simulates the seatbelt so no chime

Sent from the Moon using Tapatalk

Great idea. Don't have access to vcds, but just pop in seatbelt all the time. Not like it matters. Our get the a "seatbelt clicky thingy"
Actually have a seatbelt extender from my mazda that might work.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
How long do you guys/gals with 1.8T's slip your clutch? I feel like I need to for longer than normal to make it smooth otherwise I feel like the RPM's dip way to fast to make it smooth.

Stock, not much.
With APR, a little more

But my idea of a little might be a lot to you

1400 rpm seems like the perfect launch point if you don't just go from idle