GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

phant0m

Ready to race!
Car(s)
So golfmk6 had a "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread", can we start one up here? (unless there is one and i just missed it)

The goal of this thread is to allow people to ask random questions (related to mk7 stuff) and to ask "stupid" questions without getting flammed (such as "this is my first GTI, does it have a turbo?").

It's a great place for teh n00bz, experienced folks and enthusiasts.

The mk6 one was pretty good because we had a few people that were always active in the thread and very helpful. I think this thread would be valuable once it gets up and running. It'll help de-clutter other subforums too.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S7 Edge.

josh.dsg

Ready to race!
come to think of it...i do have a 'stupid' question.

The ASR/ESC button... when you turn it off, does the button itself light up along with the icon on the dash? Mine does not, i'm just wondering if that's normal. Because my driving mode button lights up.

If you hold it in for 4 seconds, both the ASR & ESC should turn off. Once you get the written confirmation on your dash infotainment center, the light will pop up on the left dial :)

phant0m

Ready to race!
Car(s)
If you hold it in for 4 seconds, both the ASR & ESC should turn off. Once you get the written confirmation on your dash infotainment center, the light will pop up on the left dial :)

yep, i get that part. I meant does the actual button that you press ever light up? like the driving mode button above it? or is the only indication the message on the MFI and the light on the dash ?

mkygod

Ready to race!
So I've noticed that the "Mode" button is dangerously close to the "Start/Stop Engine" button. I've always been a little weary about this fact. Would anything happen if I were to accidentally press the Start/stop button while the car was still in drive?

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
yep, i get that part. I meant does the actual button that you press ever light up? like the driving mode button above it? or is the only indication the message on the MFI and the light on the dash ?
This surprised me a bit too, but my button doesn't light up at all. I think it's like this by design.

So I've noticed that the "Mode" button is dangerously close to the "Start/Stop Engine" button. I've always been a little weary about this fact. Would anything happen if I were to accidentally press the Start/stop button while the car was still in drive?
It will pop up a message asking if you're really sure you want to turn off the engine. So you have to push Engine Off twice in order for it to actually turn it off while driving.

mkygod

Ready to race!
It will pop up a message asking if you're really sure you want to turn off the engine. So you have to push Engine Off twice in order for it to actually turn it off while driving.

That's still kinda bad because sometimes you want to press the MODE button more than once to get to the mode that you're looking for.

So if you press twice on the Engine Off button, does your car just roll to a stop? What if you're on the freeway going at 70mph? Can you restart the engine while still moving or do you have to stop the car and go back into park?

rbk

Ready to race!
I've got a stupid question:

if I get the deautokey led kit for the oem tail lights and I eventually change to the euro spec golf r led taillights will the bulbs be compatible or will I need to get different sized bulbs?

I assume they are diff sizes but haven't seen the different bulb sizes listed anywhere.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
That's still kinda bad because sometimes you want to press the MODE button more than once to get to the mode that you're looking for.

So if you press twice on the Engine Off button, does your car just roll to a stop? What if you're on the freeway going at 70mph? Can you restart the engine while still moving or do you have to stop the car and go back into park?
You can restart the engine while in motion. Your dash will DING at you when you hit the Engine Off while in motion so that should alert you to what you're doing. I pushed it by accident once or twice but never accidentally shut off the engine. You'll get used to the feel of the buttons and it should never be a problem.

I've got a stupid question:

if I get the deautokey led kit for the oem tail lights and I eventually change to the euro spec golf r led taillights will the bulbs be compatible or will I need to get different sized bulbs?

I assume they are diff sizes but haven't seen the different bulb sizes listed anywhere.
I don't have the LED tails, but my hunch is that the LED's in the oem LED tails are actually integrated in the tail light and not changeable. So no, the LED bulbs won't be usable in the oem LED tail lights, but you don't really need them either.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
My stupid question

Driving 6speed gti with broken arm (mine is a shattered radius) how bad was it and any driving tips used to make it less painful.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Another stupid question:

In California, I bought a 2015 gti (used) am I required to smog every 2 years? Or is it till 7 years from when car was produced so 2022. I was thinking adding DP catless