GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Anyone ever replace driver side headlight harness? I got a feeling my headlight plug got all janked up when I was swapping the DRL ballast. I will be swapping in the new headlights soon and figured I might as well change that while I am in there. I have an AFS error on the dash now and no headlights on that side. The only working light is the cornering light. Anyway, just curious if anyone has done it or would it be ok to just get a new plug and splice it in?

Jachas

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
A3 8V
Anyone ever replace driver side headlight harness? I got a feeling my headlight plug got all janked up when I was swapping the DRL ballast. I will be swapping in the new headlights soon and figured I might as well change that while I am in there. I have an AFS error on the dash now and no headlights on that side. The only working light is the cornering light. Anyway, just curious if anyone has done it or would it be ok to just get a new plug and splice it in?

But by headlight harness you mean harness inside headlight or the plug between headlight and car harness? If first one, it cannot be replaced (theoretically it can be, but you will need second damaged headlight but with wiring intact, and dismantle both headlights to last bit and swap harnesses, so it makes no sense), if second one, headlight connector and wiring is integral part of central car harness, so only repair is possible

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
^ Plug on the car-side harness. Thanks. I guess I get to order a plug and fire up the soldering iron.

Frag

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI
For the 831 Powerflex insert, what does it mean by "For Hybrid Models Only"? Trying to figure out if I need 830 or 831. They look fairly different and if it doesn't matter which one, is there a recommended one between the two?

Attachments

• 1720715312889.png
    1720715312889.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 3

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
For the 831 Powerflex insert, what does it mean by "For Hybrid Models Only"? Trying to figure out if I need 830 or 831. They look fairly different and if it doesn't matter which one, is there a recommended one between the two?
I'm not certain about the hybrid bit, but I know for their hybrid insert (full lower replacement, upper puck insert) you need to get under the car and see which style bushing is used as there are two different variations.

Frag

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI
I'm not certain about the hybrid bit, but I know for their hybrid insert (full lower replacement, upper puck insert) you need to get under the car and see which style bushing is used as there are two different variations.
I finally checked it out this morning and I had the one on the right on the previous attached image. I was surprised at the "or" on the parts and the difference in appearances between the two.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I finally checked it out this morning and I had the one on the right on the previous attached image. I was surprised at the "or" on the parts and the difference in appearances between the two.
Yeah, and it doesn't appear to even go by the production date/year -- seems VW just kinda threw different bushings in as they felt like it. The hybrid insert is a nice piece though, I'm a fan.

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
With my accesport, I get only an o2 sensor fault p0036 but with my obd11 I get a throttle actuator control range fault 20638. Why would I get a different list of faults depending on which scanner tool I use?

Jachas

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
A3 8V
^ Plug on the car-side harness. Thanks. I guess I get to order a plug and fire up the soldering iron.
If only plug is damaged (pins, seals,etc, are good) you can change only plug (de pinning pins from old plug and pin them in new plug)
If plug and pins are damaged, cheapest way would be used headlight plug and "OE way" of connecting wires, which means use of butt connectors (as wires being in engine bay so water, dirt, oil,etc)

For 0.35 to 0.5mm2 wires use P/N 000 979 940 / Bosch 1 987 532 035
For 0.5 to 1.5mm2 wires use P/N 000 979 941 / Bosch 1 987 532 000
For 1.5 to 2.5mm2 wires use P/N 000 979 942 / Bosch 1 987 532 001
For 4 to 6mm2 wires use P/N 000 979 943 / Bosch 1 987 532 002

I give OE and Bosch number, as OE is way to expensive (Bosch is in par with quality with OE ones, and way better than aliexpress ones)

This butt connectors, and crimping tool, and you can make it in proper, OE way ;)

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
If only plug is damaged (pins, seals,etc, are good) you can change only plug (de pinning pins from old plug and pin them in new plug)
If plug and pins are damaged, cheapest way would be used headlight plug and "OE way" of connecting wires, which means use of butt connectors (as wires being in engine bay so water, dirt, oil,etc)

For 0.35 to 0.5mm2 wires use P/N 000 979 940 / Bosch 1 987 532 035
For 0.5 to 1.5mm2 wires use P/N 000 979 941 / Bosch 1 987 532 000
For 1.5 to 2.5mm2 wires use P/N 000 979 942 / Bosch 1 987 532 001
For 4 to 6mm2 wires use P/N 000 979 943 / Bosch 1 987 532 002

I give OE and Bosch number, as OE is way to expensive (Bosch is in par with quality with OE ones, and way better than aliexpress ones)

This butt connectors, and crimping tool, and you can make it in proper, OE way ;)
thank you