GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
RS3 LCAs are the answer. But OE or possibly BFI aftermarket for $300. No press needed.

Bolt on and go.

DSG owners will want a locking subframe kit if budget allows, as they’ll be dropping/lowering the front subframe to easily extract the LF LCA bolt and actual arms (it’s much easier with front of subframe lowered ~2-3”).

I have a nice LSK for sale over in the suspension forums, brand new in box with ARP hardware.

Hope this info helps folks.

PS: no one I know in this community has tested LCA parts more than DerHase and myself. And it’s because we had a string of bad luck with aftermarket parts…

Tigeo might be a close second, he’s run SuperPros for years and had one fail last year. I’m let let him speak on that experience.

Cheers MQB brothers. 🍻
I have the superpro and like them a lot. They add a tremendous amount of front end grip from the castor. Mid corner steering weight is way heavier under higher G as well.

Downside is with css knuckles the apex forged 17x9 wheels rub on the tie rods at full lock.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
I have the superpro and like them a lot. They add a tremendous amount of front end grip from the castor. Mid corner steering weight is way heavier under higher G as well.

Downside is with css knuckles the apex forged 17x9 wheels rub on the tie rods at full lock.
Still sounds like a wicked awesome combo. Would 18x8.5” wheels be the solution? Or is it beyond fixing due to the CSS knuckles + LCA geometry?

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
RS3 LCAs are the answer. But OE or possibly BFI aftermarket for $300. No press needed.

Bolt on and go.

DSG owners will want a locking subframe kit if budget allows, as they’ll be dropping/lowering the front subframe to easily extract the LF LCA bolt and actual arms (it’s much easier with front of subframe lowered ~2-3”).

I have a nice LSK for sale over in the suspension forums, brand new in box with ARP hardware.

PS: no one I know in this community has tested LCA parts more than DerHase and myself. And it’s because we had a string of bad luck with aftermarket parts…

Tigeo might be a close second, he’s run SuperPros for years and had one fail last year. I’m let let him speak on that experience.

Cheers MQB brothers. 🍻
I agree with the subframe locking kit. If you're on a tight budget, you can get the alignment washers from Aliexpress cheaply just then just supply your own hardware.

That's what I did when I installed my LCAs, and they worked flawlessly.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit

Bolt on and go.

Cheers MQB brothers. 🍻

Actually just confirmed with @Pineapple that the MK8R lower control arms come loaded with the RS3 bushings.

So new arms loaded with bushings and ready to install from the dealer are about $130 per side.

Left:
https://vw.oempartsonline.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-control-arm-81a407151f

Right:
https://vw.oempartsonline.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-control-arm-81a407152f

Strangely enough the rear LCA bushing alone indicates it's the same old MK7 part if the vehicle applications and part number are to be believed:
https://vw.oempartsonline.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-control-arm-rear-bushing-5q0407183l

... but he received his new LCAs and sent me some pics and sure enough, they're the more solid bushings - at least in the fully loaded control arms linked above.

Perhaps it's possible that this new bushing has superseded the old one with massive voids?

1718052778596.png
1718052800737.png

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Still sounds like a wicked awesome combo. Would 18x8.5” wheels be the solution? Or is it beyond fixing due to the CSS knuckles + LCA geometry?
Narrower wheels or a lower offset would be the solution. Anything to buy 3-5mm inside clearance on the rim. The 17x9 already poke a ton, so I think a better size would be 17x8.5, but it's too bad they don't have a forged wheel in this size.

The issue is all that added castor moves the whole wheel forward in the wheel well and that lengthens the tie rod. I could in theory add a ton of toe in and also get around it, but then it would turn like a truck.

Track R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
R
I just did both arms in 100 degree Sacramento heat on my DSG in 30mins although on a rack using a large pry bar to move the tranny enough to remove the driver bolt.

If your replacing arms get the 8Y RS3 versions 8Y0407151/152 which have the 8S TT solid bushings installed

Image 39.jpeg
Image 38.jpeg

Of course I had to move this POS R34 off the rack so I can get to work....

5740BB0C-60A3-4B0C-9B16-D7B5E2207C2A.jpeg
CE41A50C-C6AA-467C-8F1B-8F592D42FB6B.jpeg
827C7DAA-C320-4CF1-BCC5-EDC609352845.jpeg
A65659E8-6975-4DF3-9C92-61AB947785F2.jpeg
CCA60BD6-3053-4253-8CC3-F4585CF6E895.jpeg
E08BA693-A751-4559-961F-EF06FB2BB97B.jpeg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I just did both arms in 100 degree Sacramento heat on my DSG in 30mins although on a rack using a large pry bar to move the tranny enough to remove the driver bolt.

If your replacing arms get the 8Y RS3 versions 8Y0407151/152 which have the 8S TT solid bushings installed

View attachment 306093View attachment 306094

Of course I had to move this POS R34 off the rack so I can get to work....

View attachment 306087View attachment 306088View attachment 306089View attachment 306090View attachment 306091View attachment 306092
Do those bushings keep the same geo as factory? I know the rs3 runs much more factory neg camber and a touch more castor, and I'm sure most/some of that is bought at the knuckle... But bushing...?

How's the r34 to drive? I drove an r35 on track, and while quite fast to get 90% of the limit, the last 10% was quite a battle to eek out because of weight/brakes. I imagine the r34 is much more balanced?

Track R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
R
Do those bushings keep the same geo as factory? I know the rs3 runs much more factory neg camber and a touch more castor, and I'm sure most/some of that is bought at the knuckle... But bushing...?

How's the r34 to drive? I drove an r35 on track, and while quite fast to get 90% of the limit, the last 10% was quite a battle to eek out because of weight/brakes. I imagine the r34 is much more balanced?
The 8V A3,S3,RS3 ran the same front camber specs 44mins as the Golf 7 and castor but less rear camber1.30mins compared to 1.44mins GTI/R if I recalled correct but can confirm on ElsaWeb.

The Skyline is my old employee's from Audi and I use his shop when need since he has 3 lifts at his house.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
How hard would it be to get a gesi cat added to a 4" trackslag?
You could just order the trackslag with a cat and be done with it. Otherwise, as long as you know a shop they could hook it up.

Frag

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI
You could just order the trackslag with a cat and be done with it. Otherwise, as long as you know a shop they could hook it up.
I was just hoping the gesi would keep the CEL off. Not sure the chance on keeping it off with the 200 Cell in it. Haven't really seen much data on it either way.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I was just hoping the gesi would keep the CEL off. Not sure the chance on keeping it off with the 200 Cell in it. Haven't really seen much data on it either way.
Add a spacer

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Front Endlink replacement time?

At a stop in park….. moving steering wheel back and forth a little bit….what would it sound like?

I’m hearing movement I’m just not sure I should be

Last edited: