GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

Had to look that up on Altavista.....

Anybody remember the underground version of Altavista? It was called Astalavista (seriously)

The link is to the wiki page, not to a nefarious website.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
1717870007691.png

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 GFG GTI DSG
This makes me think of geocaching. Remember when humans trusted other humans to share exploration fun with other humans and expected nothing in return?

Today it's all about who can turn it into an exciting vlog instead
GeoCaching is still a thing, probably waaaaaay more niche though. Funny enough the only reason I know that is because YouTube Shorts I always see dudes solving them

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
GeoCaching is still a thing, probably waaaaaay more niche though. Funny enough the only reason I know that is because YouTube Shorts I always see dudes solving them
Cause people have forgotten how to read a map or grid points

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Has anyone seen promising results from the PowerMax 2260, or are those things still blowing up?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Has anyone seen promising results from the PowerMax 2260, or are those things still blowing up?
I am so far. E30 tuned through Stratified.

Reactions: the

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Probably because it doesn't register it as an event. All the sensors are sensing specific things, like knock. There's no sensor to determine how well a spark occurred. Nothing measures load at the two grounding points, either. So something is just eluding the sensors.

In my case, a lot of rougher idle (beyond the normalness of the factory "heartbeat" or whatever they termed the general rough idle from day 1), got significantly worse with a dogbone and then was subsequently resolved with new coils. Mine never came with the updated beru coils, which do a better job of resisting heat. Track miles on 100F days take their toll on coil packs for all cars.

Yours sounds way worse than what I was experiencing at idle, though. On track I would get misfires at 4-7k rpm under wot and those i could properly feel and they'd register. For me, the rough idle was not a "misfire", but felt more like poor combustion and not ill timed or lack of plug spark. There was no knock, nothing to register. Plugs would make it better for a few hundred miles then it would come back.

For future reference @MonkeyMD the way misfire events are monitored is by seeing the crankshaft position sensor not move 1/2 revolution at the expected speed it should if a combustion event were to occur normally. If there's a slower crankshaft movement when cyl 3 should have just fired, then it'll register as a misfire.

Then there's the added complexity of the tune... because all the misfire stuff can be tuned out (and dulled to some extent I'm sure, I haven't had to look into it myself). Box codes for 09G transmissions apparently can set false misfires at higher RPMs and need to have that monitor killed off sometimes when tuned.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
RS3 LCAs are the answer. But OE or possibly BFI aftermarket for $300. No press needed.

Bolt on and go.

DSG owners will want a locking subframe kit if budget allows, as they’ll be dropping/lowering the front subframe to easily extract the LF LCA bolt and actual arms (it’s much easier with front of subframe lowered ~2-3”).

I have a nice LSK for sale over in the suspension forums, brand new in box with ARP hardware.

Hope this info helps folks.

PS: no one I know in this community has tested LCA parts more than DerHase and myself. And it’s because we had a string of bad luck with aftermarket parts…

Tigeo might be a close second, he’s run SuperPros for years and had one fail last year. I’m let let him speak on that experience.

Cheers MQB brothers. 🍻