GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
No reason they shouldn't. I have LCAs from a 2021 8Y S3 on my car now.

@Pineapple no need to mess with ball joints unless they have play or torn boots.
But (not to insult anyone's intelligence, but I'd rather it be said than left ambiguous) the hardware is TTY/stretch, thankfully it's cheap OR you can likely replace with non-stretch hardware if you use good stuff.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
But (not to insult anyone's intelligence, but I'd rather it be said than left ambiguous) the hardware is TTY/stretch, thankfully it's cheap OR you can likely replace with non-stretch hardware if you use good stuff.

I was responding to the LCAs fitting.

100% all bolts need replaced on these cars when removed. I have a list ready to go for a local dealer because I've had the subframe out and LCAs off at least half a dozen times in the last year or so 😂

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3

100% all bolts need replaced on these cars when removed. I have a list ready to go for a local dealer because I've had the subframe out and LCAs off at least half a dozen times in the last year or so 😂
Oh yeah, I was more hoping Pineapple would see it since he's the one who initially asked. Regardless though, I'll always specify to replace hardware because I'd rather someone hear it again than have an axle fall out (real story, happened to a friend of a friend when they reused mk3 axle bolts)

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

Geez. You could just go with grade 8 hardware and call it good with that amount of churn. Or go big baller and do all titanium hardware 😎

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I notice some stuttering sometimes (probably time for new plugs)

But my question is

Why doesn't a scan show misfires? I have obdlink mx+ & obd11 & neither site misfires

Are they not registering i.e. not severe enough to count as misfires?

Could it be programmed out with tune?

Or are my scanners not good enough? I know some will say obd11 is not good but the mx is one of the better ones?.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
When you say stuttering, what do you mean? Changing plugs makes it go away?

Stuttering meaning I can feel some vibrations & a sought drop in rpm. Usually at idle. Very sporadic. Haven't changed plugs yet. But my question is more why they don't show up in live data

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Stuttering meaning I can feel some vibrations & a sought drop in rpm. Usually at idle. Very sporadic. Haven't changed plugs yet. But my question is more why they don't show up in live data
Probably because it doesn't register it as an event. All the sensors are sensing specific things, like knock. There's no sensor to determine how well a spark occurred. Nothing measures load at the two grounding points, either. So something is just eluding the sensors.

In my case, a lot of rougher idle (beyond the normalness of the factory "heartbeat" or whatever they termed the general rough idle from day 1), got significantly worse with a dogbone and then was subsequently resolved with new coils. Mine never came with the updated beru coils, which do a better job of resisting heat. Track miles on 100F days take their toll on coil packs for all cars.

Yours sounds way worse than what I was experiencing at idle, though. On track I would get misfires at 4-7k rpm under wot and those i could properly feel and they'd register. For me, the rough idle was not a "misfire", but felt more like poor combustion and not ill timed or lack of plug spark. There was no knock, nothing to register. Plugs would make it better for a few hundred miles then it would come back.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Probably because it doesn't register it as an event. All the sensors are sensing specific things, like knock. There's no sensor to determine how well a spark occurred. Nothing measures load at the two grounding points, either. So something is just eluding the sensors.

In my case, a lot of rougher idle (beyond the normalness of the factory "heartbeat" or whatever they termed the general rough idle from day 1), got significantly worse with a dogbone and then was subsequently resolved with new coils. Mine never came with the updated beru coils, which do a better job of resisting heat. Track miles on 100F days take their toll on coil packs for all cars.

Yours sounds way worse than what I was experiencing at idle, though. On track I would get misfires at 4-7k rpm under wot and those i could properly feel and they'd register. For me, the rough idle was not a "misfire", but felt more like poor combustion and not ill timed or lack of plug spark. There was no knock, nothing to register. Plugs would make it better for a few hundred miles then it would come back.

Thanks for the explanation. I still have the OE coils. I might try putting those back in as I've had a lot of track days in 105+F temperatures on the APR ones

And maybe it is just poor combustion & not misfire.

Just realized it's been 9000 miles on the Ruth's. Might be fine to change those out. I'll do one at a time to see if it resolves

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Spam in PMs now???? Come on…..lame
IMG_6244.jpeg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Why is that funny?

You all aren't using AIM anymore?