GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

bilaba70

Passed Driver's Ed
My mk7 clutch pedal creaks and pressing it feels not subtle/stiff. I tried oiling the hinge point but its even worse now. The creaking sound is annoying af. What do?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

why-not-both-why-not (3).gif

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
If the seal on the roof antennae comes unsealed, Where does water leak to? Do I even want to know..

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’m stuck with the same dilemma often. I rode shotgun in an SLC Corrado VR6 at redline racing on the freeway, the head exploded mid race. It was pretty glorious even in that moment. Was rebuilt to a 3.2 soon after. Beautiful cars 👨‍🍳 😘

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
answered in the ever fast paced Acadia thread lol

Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Alright so I’m at a crossroad - and need your help cause i feel dumb: resulting in dumb question thread

Wife has given me the green light for the next car mod but i keep Crossing out my options for big purchases

1.) downpipe - i am Stage 1 currently and want to stay stage 1.. I’m not really sure if it would be worth the purchase because I’m reading a DP on stage 1 is not effective and may cause a CEL.
2) save for clutch: although the clutch is $1500, labor is a different ballgame but i would Have it on hand and ready to go. (I only Drive on the weekends, no track, stock clutch is holding just fine)
3.) Mounts - been looking at BFI mounts, no harm or no Foul With these mods but again not racing, do i need Them?
4.) iS38 turbo: i can purchase the turbo and then go with the APR OG tune on stock DP (it’s still
Available from APR) but either way clutch would need to be done at that point.
5.) Carbon Fiber Hood- my hood has numerous rock chips and defects in it and was obviously repainted by the original owner and did a shit job, buying the hood would be similar cost to
Repaint the hood lol- but if i go with route it’s gunna be focusing on cosmetics for a while.

Again all big purchases, car is driven on weekends and don’t really race.
My first mod was Uni DP and Uni stage 2 flash, at about 1500 miles on the clock. Drove like that for 100k miles before finally going IS38 and re-tune. Out of your list, I feel you would gain the most from upgrading the clutch. Since you want to stay stage 1, that rules out the IS38 and even so, you would need the clutch before the IS38 anyway. FWIW, I drove stage 2 on stock clutch for about 60k miles, before upgrading. You could potentially stay DMF and just get like a Spec clutch (compatible with OEM DMF) and put that in, to save some $$.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Their fitment looks better from what I can tell in seeing pics of it on other MK7's but haven't seen it in-person.
I have Seibon TM hood (and fenders). Great fitment/no issues. I had them re-cleared for peace of mind, and I maintain with a ceramic spray wax. Been on for a year, no fade and looks great.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
From what I have seen, it just wets the entire headliner....
For real? That’s some oldschool VW level buffoonery. Best way to deal with one that’s popped up out of the factory gasket?

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I still want a Scirocco or MK4 R32.
In the process of restoring an 04 VR6 GTI. You don’t want a MK4 anything unless you hate yourself. It’s like trying to make a shitty ex a casual thing. No car has brought me to the verge of tears of frustration more than this one. For instance, just bleeding the brakes can take a week long DIY to get a halfway decent pedal. Another to get it firm. But you take the damn thing around the block and that stupid beautiful tailpipe song lulls you back into throwing more money at it. Stick with the 16V Rocco

cb1111

Dumb ass question. The Alltrack has included maintenance and I just it in for the 30k service. They found a leaking rear shock so they'll swap it under warranty - but - shouldn't they replace both?

Bonus question - will they (should they) do an alignment? I've always done a 4 wheel alignment after shocks, but I have no clue what the dealer does. Why am I asking? I normally swap over to winters now and get an alignment (lifetime at Firestone), but if the dealer will do the alignment, then I can skip Firestone and just take the wheels to the dealer.