GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
The first place that comes to mind is Kempers used parts (kempers.de). Here is what their car / parts selection menu looks like:

View attachment 292923

i don't even see GTI in that list so i am guessing it is one of those model codes? Maybe? What is Variant?

i someone somewhere say 5G was the Mk7 and 5G1 was the Mk7.5, but i have seen other places that contradict that.

Why Kempers? My eight year old dreams of having various parts from our car (his sole reason for wanting to do mods on the car i suspect so that he can have the original parts). i look at places like that daydreaming of picking him up an EA888 to take apart. Yes, that's what he asks for his birthday, Christmas, etc. He wants to take apart our engine. Or a VR6. And then he will likely decorate his wall with all the parts.
These numbers are a little bit similar to mercedes Wxxx or BMW Exx/Fxx/Gxx (x mean number)

In case of Golf, from this picture
5G - EU/RoW Golf 7
BQ1 - NAR Golf 7 (Made in Mexico)

I'm only sure about 5G (EU/RoW) and BQ1 (NAR), rest is more or less guessing

In VAG, most of these number are used for giving the parts numbers. If you check them, most mk7 golf parts use 5G0 xxx xxx pattern (5G1 xxx xxx gonna be specific, RHD parts), sometimes, in your car you gonna have different first 3 digits on parts, like 3C0, or 5N0, and that means this specific part was originally used in other car ( for example, some brake parts have 8V0 or 1K0 numbers, meaning that originally they were made for A3 8V or Golf Mk5 1K) In some cases the third digit in part number means body type (example from A3 8V: 8V0 is "common/universal" part, 8V3 3door, 8V4 5d sportback, 8V5 sedan/saloon, 8V7 cabrio/convertible)
In case of parts that have left/right placement, like doors, headlights,etc. the last three digits are odd or even numbers, meaning odd for left (LHD driver side), and even for right (LHD passenger side)

From VW parts numbers, you can decode many information, some rim as example:

5G0 601 025 CD FZZ
(5G0 means 5G golf mk7 chassis)
(6 means part group in ETKA catalog, in this case 6 means "wheels/brakes" group)
(06 means that part is in sub-grup 06, in this case 06 means "aluminium rims" sub group)
(025 CD is specific part number with CD being version or revision of that specific part)
(FZZ is color coding, in this case, "Brilliant alu/black")

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
What's the move on brakes? Looking at upgrade options from OEM PP brakes, not looking to spend an arm and a leg because street car BUT it'd be nice to have something a little better if an option exists. Either way the plan is RBF600, but I'm unsure what's out there for pads, it seems like most caliper upgrades are out of the range I want to spend. Under $250 would be ideal, low(ish) dust is nice but not a requirement. I'm a bit wary of EBC, my Hawk HP+ squeal like a bus and that's undesirable for this car. What's this I hear about ISweep/Ferodo/G-Loc?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Can you independently raise/lower the high beams, or are they the same raise/lower as the low beams?

Came back from the airport at midnight and my high beams were killing birds 3/4 way up the tree line along the highway.....

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
What's the move on brakes? Looking at upgrade options from OEM PP brakes, not looking to spend an arm and a leg because street car BUT it'd be nice to have something a little better if an option exists. Either way the plan is RBF600, but I'm unsure what's out there for pads, it seems like most caliper upgrades are out of the range I want to spend. Under $250 would be ideal, low(ish) dust is nice but not a requirement. I'm a bit wary of EBC, my Hawk HP+ squeal like a bus and that's undesirable for this car. What's this I hear about ISweep/Ferodo/G-Loc?
I have G-Loc pads – they're great. Just make sure, if you order the rears, that they're there correct pads.

I ordered through DAP and was sent the correct front pads, but the rears were for a non-PP, even though on DAPs website they said they're for the PP.

Ironically, they "fit," but sit about an ⅛th of an inch over the inner pad surface – not great. I contacted G-loc and they resolved the issue quickly by sending me the correct pads.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
not for my GTI but for my daughter's 2010 Tiggie......

what is the best paint to rattle can her wheels black? They are already black, just chipped, rashed, etc.

I'm thinking of just pulling them off, masking the tires off and shooting them with a couple coats.....

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
not for my GTI but for my daughter's 2010 Tiggie......

what is the best paint to rattle can her wheels black? They are already black, just chipped, rashed, etc.

I'm thinking of just pulling them off, masking the tires off and shooting them with a couple coats.....
Rustoleum has held up really well in my experience. Get a pack of index cards to stuff between the tire and the wheel lip, hit em with a coat or two (or three, paint's cheap) and they should be good.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Rustoleum has held up really well in my experience. Get a pack of index cards to stuff between the tire and the wheel lip, hit em with a coat or two (or three, paint's cheap) and they should be good.
Thanks! I actually saw the card technique done by plastidip guys a few years back.....thanks for reminding me about that

GTIscream

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
Shame you're not closer, I've got a pair of mk4 2.0s I'm gearing up to scrap in the future that would be perfect for somebody to take apart just to tinker with and inspect/learn how stuff works.

If my son sees that he'd go nuts. He's not one for long car rides but i'm betting he'd find someplace near you he'd just happen to want to visit, oh, and while he's there...
Last week the neighbors curbed a lawn mower. It's now in pieces in our shed. He cleaned the carburetor and oil slinger and now carries them around the house.

GTIscream

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
5G - EU/RoW Golf 7
BQ1 - NAR Golf 7 (Made in Mexico)

Funnily enough i just picked up some wiper blades and on the back i saw this:

e-Golf [BE1, BE2]
Golf Alltrack [BA5, BV5]
Golf 7 Alltrack [BV5]

None of the other codes identified any model specifically.

Thanks for the input!

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
If my son sees that he'd go nuts. He's not one for long car rides but i'm betting he'd find someplace near you he'd just happen to want to visit, oh, and while he's there...
Last week the neighbors curbed a lawn mower. It's now in pieces in our shed. He cleaned the carburetor and oil slinger and now carries them around the house.
If I weren't taking the GTI for our cruise up to CT for gokarting, I'd offer to bring one of the motors along. If you're ever in PA, drop me a PM -- if I've still got any of the mk4 goodies, they're all yours. Heck, I can even see if I have anything mechanically interesting that doesn't weigh twelve tons, maybe we can work something out. I generally like the idea of anybody who likes to take stuff apart and get a sense for what it does/how it works/how components within an assembly work together to achieve a task, it's how I got to where I am.

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Why is it that when I first start the car it runs amazing, but after driving it for about 5-10 min it becomes sluggish. Start to rev hang and the rpm take forever to drop.

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
it's running very rich upon start up to heat up the catalytic converter. makes it feel very snappy. once that is up to temp, it will be in eco mode. and eco feels slow.

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
it's running very rich upon start up to heat up the catalytic converter. makes it feel very snappy. once that is up to temp, it will be in eco mode. and eco feels slow.
I have to wait a whole 2 second for the revs to start dropping and another second for it to be at a smooth transition spot. Because of this it looks like I’m fking with the guy behind me lol. To add to this when I do depress the clutch I see the rpm blip by about 300.

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
Are you sure your clutch bearing and/or pressure plate are ok?