GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Mine stuck a few months ago. I used automotive trim tools, two of them. One at top of the lid and one at the bottom. I put a balled up microfiber between both trim tools and the body of the car to help mitigate any scratches. Then I applied even pressure on the tools, which just the end of each in the seam of the gas door. I slowly was able to get more in and this eventually popped the door free.

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
hey guys, I’m just wondering what the difference is between a 7.5 gti and r. Isn’t a is38 gti just a fwd r?

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
hey guys, I’m just wondering what the difference is between a 7.5 gti and r. Isn’t a is38 gti just a fwd r?

According to APR:

• Cylinder head (made from a different alloy compared to other engines in this module because of higher thermal stress)
  • Exhaust valves (hollow, higher Ni content, nitrided)
  • Exhaust valve seat rings (improved temperature stability and wear resistance)
  • Exhaust camshaft (adapted valve timings)
  • Compression ratio 9.3:1 with different pistons
  • Piston cooling jets (higher flow rate)
  • High pressure injectors (even higher flow rate)
  • Exhaust turbocharger
  • Charge pressures of up to 17.4 PSI (1.2 bar)
  • High performance main radiator with 1-2 auxiliary radiators (depending on country specifications)
  • Additional acoustic modifications have been made in order to achieve a sporty sound - use of a sound actuator (for the occupant cell) and active exhaust flaps in the exhaust system

Not mentioned there, the intercooler on the R is a tiny bit bigger.... Then apart from the AWD, the steering rack or the coding on it is also different, its a bit stiffer... I believe the suspension spring rate is also a bit stiffer (as its heavier too) and the DCC coding is different.
I think that would be all the mechanical differences.. then you have appearance differences, the trim, the body kit and lighting, etc.

Mine stuck a few months ago. I used automotive trim tools, two of them. One at top of the lid and one at the bottom. I put a balled up microfiber between both trim tools and the body of the car to help mitigate any scratches. Then I applied even pressure on the tools, which just the end of each in the seam of the gas door. I slowly was able to get more in and this eventually popped the door free.

Yeah I have been pulling, it just feels like its going to break :/

But if the door housing does break, worse case scenario, its $160.... Whatever the dealer will want for this, its definitely more....

https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2...archGuid=BFCAA579-C2FB-4BE7-BBE7-6E444CB397C0

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
According to APR:

Not mentioned there, the intercooler on the R is a tiny bit bigger.... Then apart from the AWD, the steering rack or the coding on it is also different, its a bit stiffer... I believe the suspension spring rate is also a bit stiffer (as its heavier too) and the DCC coding is different.
I think that would be all the mechanical differences.. then you have appearance differences, the trim, the body kit and lighting, etc.

Yeah I have been pulling, it just feels like its going to break :/

But if the door housing does break, worse case scenario, its $160.... Whatever the dealer will want for this, its definitely more....

https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2...archGuid=BFCAA579-C2FB-4BE7-BBE7-6E444CB397C0
Oh wow, thats a lot. I just assumed the turbo was different and that was about it. Thanks for the info!

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Update: The idea was solid, it worked out... I was able to remove the cover easily, literally on the first tug...

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-11 at 7.55.23 PM.jpeg

However, as I realized earlier, I am still stuck as I cant get it to release... I removed the T20 holding the whole thing together, but obviously it makes no difference....

Like the guy in this video linked earlier, it looks more and more likely that I will need to break off the tab that holds the door shut...

5G0809857 - $160 from the dealer but I can get it for less than half If I order from Europe but it will take way too long... not really worth it...

I think I am going to pass by the dealer tomorrow, its like 5min from my house, and see if they have it in stock... maybe they give me a tip on how to remove this contraption... which I highly doubt lmao

Anyone got a better idea? :(

Its annoying as the actual part that failed, 5C6810773K the actuator, is only $35... but I will need to break a $160 part to get there lol

Looking back at the pics with the liner removed, seeing if I can get to it from behind... doesn't seem like you can... and I was thinking of smashing the actuator out, but the tabs it rests on are really thick... highly doubt I can create enough force from the inside of the wheel liner.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Following up:

Went to the dealer, and I actually got my answer. I was able to speak to a cool service manager there that let me know the book labor rate for this was 2h already (so $300+ here in Miami lol) and that's if they can finesse the actuator open to replace it... if it doesn't budge, they do break and replace the housing, as I had assumed lol

I ended up ordering the parts there as they were considerably cheaper than online, got the whole housing with the drain hose, etc for $135.... Now just have to wait 3 days... soon I will be able to fill it up :D

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Mine is like this right now and since I rarely drive the car I’ve been putting off replacing the 35 dollar actuator I bought. But in my case I was at they gas station needing fuel when this happened… but at the time I was able to pry it open enough and Break one of the ears on the actuator while flexing the door structure back enough to clear the remaining tab and open. 🤷🏼‍♂️. The part the sucks about changing the actuator is the plug side is inside the car and you have to remove the whole passenger side hatch panels to access.

Cliff note : you can break the actuator in lieu of the door tab.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Anyone have a part # for these bolts?

Attachments

• bolts.png
    bolts.png
    491.7 KB · Views: 42

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Mine is like this right now and since I rarely drive the car I’ve been putting off replacing the 35 dollar actuator I bought. But in my case I was at they gas station needing fuel when this happened… but at the time I was able to pry it open enough and Break one of the ears on the actuator while flexing the door structure back enough to clear the remaining tab and open. 🤷🏼‍♂️. The part the sucks about changing the actuator is the plug side is inside the car and you have to remove the whole passenger side hatch panels to access.

Cliff note : you can break the actuator in lieu of the door tab.
Update… I figured I would give it a go this morning and to my surprise with some finagling and wiggling I actually was able to replace the solenoid latch all from the outside in about 10-15min Total lol.

IMG_7360.jpeg
IMG_7362.jpeg
IMG_7363.jpeg
IMG_7364.jpeg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I feel like I'm running into the same issue with trunk. Hasn't stopped working yet, but when I pull the emblem, it takes a couple seconds until it unlatches. Been going on for a few months now.

Has anyone had the trunk stop unlatching and if so, how hard to replace whatever part is faulty

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Update… I figured I would give it a go this morning and to my surprise with some finagling and wiggling I actually was able to replace the solenoid latch all from the outside in about 10-15min Total lol.

Nice! Still cant figure out how you managed to only snap one of the little ears in the actuator! But yeah, easily enough space to swap it all from the outside, well done, my turn in next week lol

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I feel like I'm running into the same issue with trunk. Hasn't stopped working yet, but when I pull the emblem, it takes a couple seconds until it unlatches. Been going on for a few months now.

Has anyone had the trunk stop unlatching and if so, how hard to replace whatever part is faulty

I had to in my MK5, it seems the process is similar.. you need to remove the trunk panel (I remember it being very easy) just take your time popping it back in so all the brackets go in correctly...

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I had to in my MK5, it seems the process is similar.. you need to remove the trunk panel (I remember it being very easy) just take your time popping it back in so all the brackets go in correctly...

Awesome.

Mine is nowhere near that bad, but going to order one to have on hand in case.