GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Roger that. It does make me wonder though - should the drain plug still be replaced every year or two even if you're doing extractor oil changes? The current one has been there since 2018/2019

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Anyone have a part # for the MK7 GTI black lower spoiler plastic piece in the front bumper? Looks like you have to take apart the bumper to actually get to it and swap it out. I need the lower grille as well, but already located that one.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Also noticed a lot oil on the oil pan yesterday, any ideas what it could be from? Found a similar pic on Reddit and they thought it could be the drain plug which I haven't replaced in years because I have an extractor

View attachment 280316

Had my pan replaced by the dealer recently. The gasket itself was leaking.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Also noticed a lot oil on the oil pan yesterday, any ideas what it could be from? Found a similar pic on Reddit and they thought it could be the drain plug which I haven't replaced in years because I have an extractor

View attachment 280316
Mine was oil pan gasket. Car had less than 20k miles on it at the time. Was coming from the rear passenger side of the oil pan. Took it off, cleaned everything thoroughly, and added a tiny bit of rtv when installing gaskets. Haven't leaked a drop in 20k miles.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
well good news is G-PLUS wasted no time replying to my message offering to send a replacement for free and asked for pics to see what happened
1683646671053.png

Has anyone ever heard of intercooler hose being "repaired"? lol
It's nice they offered a refund but idk how realistic it's going to be to install another fmic since I already drilled into the radiator plastic
Not sure/doubtful I could use the ARM or CSK bicooler hoses instead...
also, who tf is Jocelyn?

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
My gas cap actuator is stuck closed :( Been trying to open it for the past couple of days, luckily I fill up all the time, never let it drop too much, so I still have 1/3 tank and a second car just in case...

Really really don't want to take it to the dealer though, but im running out of hope lol. Its a known issue, see it talked about searching the forum everywhere but the details into how to actually fix it are scarce, lots got fixed by the dealers under warranty... we are past that though lol

Hold it down while unlocking, hitting it in different ways, spraying water, using a suction cup to pry it... There is some that got it loose with WD40 but it sounds messy and I think that's when the actuator does unlock but doesn't let the gas cap release.. where the solution is to shave down the piece that gets held by the actuator...

I don't think my actuator is working at all, it doesn't make any noises when I unlock the car. I want to say it started failing a few months ago, where I had to lock and unlock once in a while when filling it up.

The weird thing is, the 09 central electronics control module does not register a fault, per this guide it should... but mine doesn't notice anything is wrong.... If anyone has any ideas.....? Im trying to push forward to get the cover to unclip from the rest of the gas cap door, that seems to be the only way to get to the actuator.... but its really tight, don't want to scratch anything.... clearly there is a trick to this but I'm not in the loop lol

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
My gas cap actuator is stuck closed :( Been trying to open it for the past couple of days, luckily I fill up all the time, never let it drop too much, so I still have 1/3 tank and a second car just in case...

Really really don't want to take it to the dealer though, but im running out of hope lol. Its a known issue, see it talked about searching the forum everywhere but the details into how to actually fix it are scarce, lots got fixed by the dealers under warranty... we are past that though lol

Hold it down while unlocking, hitting it in different ways, spraying water, using a suction cup to pry it... There is some that got it loose with WD40 but it sounds messy and I think that's when the actuator does unlock but doesn't let the gas cap release.. where the solution is to shave down the piece that gets held by the actuator...

I don't think my actuator is working at all, it doesn't make any noises when I unlock the car. I want to say it started failing a few months ago, where I had to lock and unlock once in a while when filling it up.

The weird thing is, the 09 central electronics control module does not register a fault, per this guide it should... but mine doesn't notice anything is wrong.... If anyone has any ideas.....? Im trying to push forward to get the cover to unclip from the rest of the gas cap door, that seems to be the only way to get to the actuator.... but its really tight, don't want to scratch anything.... clearly there is a trick to this but I'm not in the loop lol

My '98 Beetle had a similar problem, and I had to yank on a cable behind the back seat to open the fuel door...I'm guessing our Mk7s have a totally different locking mechanism though.

Are you willing to remove the wheel and wheel arch liner? That's what the dealer would probably have to do to access the gas door lock. This is what I found on my GTI. You can see the filler neck and a few wires for maybe a gas door lock solenoid or something. I'll let the experts chime in on what you'd have to do, but it seems like you'd be able to access everything from under there.

Attachments

• PXL_20230504_000334862.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230504_000334862.MP.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
The thing is that there is a way to get the whole actuator exposed without opening the door, you need to slide the cover off it, like in this video:

It can be removed while its still locked closed, then you are free to do what you want... I need to get to that step, I think that's what the dealer does in this case...?

Looking at the pictures in the guide I linked earlier, https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...replace-the-fuel-door-actuator-module.388614/

Going from under the wheel arch may not be the way, you would never reach the actuator? the fuel filler neck/etc seems to cover everything

Im just afraid to use too much force atm.... I need to cover the entire thing with painter's tape and push forward to get it off, like this:

as you can see, it requires quite a bit of force for it the cover to slide off the door....

edit: im thinking of using some paracord and sliding it under the cover, and then pulling on the cord, that may work....

Last edited:

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Ok I see what you mean. Yeah from that video, looks like a lot of shearing force is required, which will be tricky to generate with the door shut. I'd want to cover up some of the body with painter's tape too in case the door cover detaches energetically.

Running paracord behind the door cover and pulling forward could work. I think the tricky part will be running one end of the paracord behind the door and out the top?

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Honestly I am not sure how to actually get the actuator to release once I have that cover removed....

This guy here at 2:55 does a good job at explaining how it works... but not how to get it to release lol...

Will I have to hacksaw it off??? There seems to be no room for that, and as the guy says, you cant manually rotate it... In his case, he snapped the little locking mechanism on the door side where the actuator holds...

if it cant move, how to I get it off....?

I can undo that one T20 that holds the actuator.... and the entire door, hinge, and rubber boot/cover around the filler, but the actuator needs to slide forward to come off...

The 2 other videos I linked earlier, their issue is a sticking actuator, where its solved by shaving where the actuator holds the door or cleaning it....

My actuator is completely dead, fully stuck.... crazy I cant find anyone with that specific issue and a solution..... that don't break anything, for example another guy that just broke the door to get to the actuator:

What would be the proper way to do this, I wonder if the dealer actually just let it snap open , and then they replace everything...

edit: why the f- would the use a brushless motor (with a worm gear nonetheless), they are all going to eventually fail, like the guy in the first video explained... could they have used a solenoid....?

Last edited: