GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I was looking at the EQT IS38+. I've been happy with other offerings from them so far and their changes to the bearing design sound promising. Not that I know a whole lot about turbocharger engineering or even selection,
The EQT is a beefed-up turbo with more "reliable" internals but will net the same output as a plain jane OE is38. Now that the price is up on the IHI units and FCP changed their warranty policy, the EQT is38+ is the clear better choice.
I just know I want some more top end than the OEM IS20 offers without breaking the bank or digging heavily into fueling mods.
Same, that's how I landed on the is38 as well.
At some point I'd like to get a downpipe from @GTI Jake but it's looking like it's going to have to wait for a bit. Retaining the ability to pass PA emissions without a whole lot of issue is key, and I figure that I'm not looking for every possible bit of power out of the car, but definitely want some more top end than it currently has.
I'm not familiar with PA emissions, but you won't have a CEL with Jake's downpipe.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Going IS38+ on my GTI, as I interpret the "plus" details to imply a higher limitation as opposed to the OEM IS38. I'm planning on running the factory downpipe from my IS20 for the time being, should I simply get an OTS IS38 tune for the time being? Is it dumb to stay on stock fueling (93 is the plan this time around)? I'm not looking for massive numbers, I just know that I'd like some more top end out of the car -- the lower area of the rev range is delightful, and I'm just looking for a bit better top end to match. In the future I may consider HPFP and E30, but I looked into the Vortex standard and don't think it's for me, at least not with a FWD GTI.
the plus just means that the bearing is reinforced. generally these turbos will taper off after 5-5.5k rpm, trying to keep boost up is just hot air at that point. power will be identical without changing the wheel/housing dimensions, the plus is purely for durability.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I was looking at the EQT IS38+. I've been happy with other offerings from them so far and their changes to the bearing design sound promising. Not that I know a whole lot about turbocharger engineering or even selection, I just know I want some more top end than the OEM IS20 offers without breaking the bank or digging heavily into fueling mods.

At some point I'd like to get a downpipe from @GTI Jake but it's looking like it's going to have to wait for a bit. Retaining the ability to pass PA emissions without a whole lot of issue is key, and I figure that I'm not looking for every possible bit of power out of the car, but definitely want some more top end than it currently has.

All of my current downpipes feature emissions compliant GESI Gen2 400 cell cats & are CEL free so there’s no hassle!

Is38 with a intercooler upgrade & OEM downpipe is still always a great upgrade over is20 if you don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of fueling mods.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
All of my current downpipes feature emissions compliant GESI Gen2 400 cell cats & are CEL free so there’s no hassle!

Is38 with a intercooler upgrade & OEM downpipe is still always a great upgrade over is20 if you don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of fueling mods.

CEL free without a spacer?

Shams

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
I reached out to the EQT team after a stage2 ECU/TCU tune when these 2 CEL Codes popped up and I just wanted to know if it’s something I should be worried about.

Is it just completely normal and i’m just going to have to run a CEL light for the rest of my time running a modded car?

I should note that the car runs fine, there are no differences in it

Attachments

• 74A46AA6-1534-40F0-9CA1-4EC3F71C7FAA.jpeg
    74A46AA6-1534-40F0-9CA1-4EC3F71C7FAA.jpeg
    694.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 75B228FB-118A-47FB-AFB9-452A617790CD.jpeg
    75B228FB-118A-47FB-AFB9-452A617790CD.jpeg
    686.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 12E77A0F-846B-4C3A-A30A-C35BDC8F4E80.jpeg
    12E77A0F-846B-4C3A-A30A-C35BDC8F4E80.jpeg
    505.2 KB · Views: 44

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I reached out to the EQT team after a stage2 ECU/TCU tune when these 2 CEL Codes popped up and I just wanted to know if it’s something I should be worried about.

Is it just completely normal and i’m just going to have to run a CEL light for the rest of my time running a modded car?

I should note that the car runs fine, there are no differences in it
Uhhhhhhh.....no....I've been EQT tuned (e-tune and OTS) with both ECU/TCU and never had that code or even A code pop up...you should not have to live with a CEL on your dashboard. Do you have an OBDeleven to scan and clear and/or dig into it?

Shams

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Uhhhhhhh.....no....I've been EQT tuned (e-tune and OTS) with both ECU/TCU and never had that code or even A code pop up...you should not have to live with a CEL on your dashboard. Do you have an OBDeleven to scan and clear and/or dig into it?
Yeah I got an OBDeleven, i’ll check it out after work

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I was looking at the EQT IS38+. I've been happy with other offerings from them so far and their changes to the bearing design sound promising. Not that I know a whole lot about turbocharger engineering or even selection, I just know I want some more top end than the OEM IS20 offers without breaking the bank or digging heavily into fueling mods.

I know several people running Littco's IS38+ and it's also a solid unit.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP