GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
^^^ caliper slide pin boot kit is like $4/5 from Autozone (you'll need 2 of them if you're doing front and rear) and it also includes the rubber sleeves that go on the upper pins. I found those to be the greatest source of pin friction, no matter how well I cleaned and lubed the pins and pin holes. I assume they swell up over time. Easy swap that made a big difference for me.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Question: When replacing the front end links, does the suspension need to be at ride height when torqueing everything down, like the rear? Too many how-to videos gloss over this step.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Question: When replacing the front end links, does the suspension need to be at ride height when torqueing everything down, like the rear? Too many how-to videos gloss over this step.
yes....that's how my shop did it when I installed my air ride went in for the adjustable endlinks

although now that you mention it....I'm second guessing if I did that in the rear when I swapped mine out.....

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
yes....that's how my shop did it when I installed my air ride went in for the adjustable endlinks

although now that you mention it....I'm second guessing if I did that in the rear when I swapped mine out.....
You would probably have some clunking if you didn't

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
That’s a great question, but if you’re bolting up suspension and shocks, everything is up in the air when you torque it down, so what would be the difference with the links whether you do it in the air or on the ground? If it’s torque down it should be torqued down. - there are some spots on the shocks/struts you can’t get to when the car is in the ground unless your on a flat lift (not a drive on)

Maybe I’m missing a step 🧐

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
That’s a great question, but if you’re bolting up suspension and shocks, everything is up in the air when you torque it down, so what would be the difference with the links whether you do it in the air or on the ground? If it’s torque down it should be torqued down. - there are some spots on the shocks/struts you can’t get to when the car is in the ground unless your on a flat lift (not a drive on)

I have seen it stressed quite a bit for rears that you have to have the suspension loaded when you torque down the endlinks. I don't know the exact reason.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
So that ones unique… the best practice to follow is final TQ for moving suspension parts is with the car loaded and at ride height.

With a none adjustable front endlink it’s not fully necessary since both connection points use a captive ball joint regardless of when you tighten it down they have full rotation so they won’t cause any binding.

If the links are adjustable you can still tighten hardware when you want but the center turnbuckles need to be adjusted with the suspension flat and loaded to remove any preload.

The reason for the rears is cause the majority of the offerings have one captive balljoint type connect and one typical bushing that doesn’t have full free rotation once tq’d down.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

You should make every attempt to torque all suspension components down at ride height under compression.

Use the jack to compress things, without lifting the car off the jack stand.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
So that ones unique… the best practice to follow is final TQ for moving suspension parts is with the car loaded and at ride height.

With a none adjustable front endlink it’s not fully necessary since both connection points use a captive ball joint regardless of when you tighten it down they have full rotation so they won’t cause any binding.

If the links are adjustable you can still tighten hardware when you want but the center turnbuckles need to be adjusted with the suspension flat and loaded to remove any preload.

The reason for the rears is cause the majority of the offerings have one captive balljoint type connect and one typical bushing that doesn’t have full free rotation once tq’d down.
That makes a ton of sense. Thanks

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Thanks. Start AA When Locked was set, but Start AA Automatically was set to Default. I changed it to Always. I'll check again at lunch.
Bringing this thread topic back from the dead. 2018 Autobahn, AAwireless wireless Android Auto adapter. No combination of settings on either the phone (Samsung S22+) or the car would let AAwireless start without unlocking the phone first. Yesterday I updated the phone to Android 13 (T-Mobile), and all is well.

I know, CSB.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
So I got pulled over for my driver side DRL being out, only got a warning and the trooper was super cool about it. Kinda think he just wanted to talk about my car lol. I told him I have had the module ordered like a month ago but its tied up in customs or w/e. I have tried for the past several days now with OBD11 to deactivate the other DRL, so I can carry on without worry until the new DRL module shows up. Problem is the app for DRL activation/deactivation says "not supported." I have to travel back through the area in Texas where I got pulled over this weekend, and I need this deactivated. Help?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
So I got pulled over for my driver side DRL being out, only got a warning and the trooper was super cool about it. Kinda think he just wanted to talk about my car lol. I told him I have had the module ordered like a month ago but its tied up in customs or w/e. I have tried for the past several days now with OBD11 to deactivate the other DRL, so I can carry on without worry until the new DRL module shows up. Problem is the app for DRL activation/deactivation says "not supported." I have to travel back through the area in Texas where I got pulled over this weekend, and I need this deactivated. Help?
I think this is it. I remember coding off my halogen DRL's to run the fogs as my DRL before I got Ed's headlights.

Right DRL off:
Select Control unit 09 (Central Electrics)
Security access
Access Code 31347
Adaptation
Leuchte5TFL RB32
Lichtfunction A 5 -> nicht aktiv

Left DRL off:
Security access
Access Code 31347
Adaptation
Leuchte4TFL LB4
Lichtfunction A 4 -> nicht aktiv

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I think this is it. I remember coding off my halogen DRL's to run the fogs as my DRL before I got Ed's headlights.

Right DRL off:
Security access
Access Code 31347
Adaptation
Leuchte5TFL RB32
Lichtfunction A 5 -> nicht aktiv

Left DRL off:
Security access
Access Code 31347
Adaptation
Leuchte4TFL LB4
Lichtfunction A 4 -> nicht aktiv
Man thanks so much, will try this on my lunch break.