GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
To carbon clean or not?

2017 GTI with 70k miles, tuned for 50k of those miles. I'm not having any symptoms to suspect there is a problem caused by excessive build up, but what's the general consensus on doing it at a mileage interval vs. waiting for a symptom of carbon build up (poor MPG, cold start misfires, etc) to appear?

I plan on keeping the car indefinitely so I'm not opposed to doing it if it makes sense to do so. I'd probably have the injectors replaced with the MK7 Golf R injectors (+15% added flow vs GTI) at the same time as my rail pressure can't keep up with the requested number.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
replied in your build thread...I'd wait

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I have had the car for a year now. (2017 GTI S)

There are a few items missing since I did not record what mileage i got Tuned for the APR (low torque file- around 41k believe) but attached is a history record of what i have done over the last year. What else needs to be on my radar maintenance wise?

I still have TMD to install as well just haven’t done it yet.

I’m not driving nearly as much as i was cause of a job change So the mileage is going to stay much lower. My new job is 2 miles away. 😎

Attachments

• 83472186-9CF9-461D-90F4-2FE1EC1631C3.png
    83472186-9CF9-461D-90F4-2FE1EC1631C3.png
    363.1 KB · Views: 50

Coach Beard

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
To carbon clean or not?

2017 GTI with 70k miles, tuned for 50k of those miles. I'm not having any symptoms to suspect there is a problem caused by excessive build up, but what's the general consensus on doing it at a mileage interval vs. waiting for a symptom of carbon build up (poor MPG, cold start misfires, etc) to appear?

I plan on keeping the car indefinitely so I'm not opposed to doing it if it makes sense to do so. I'd probably have the injectors replaced with the MK7 Golf R injectors (+15% added flow vs GTI) at the same time as my rail pressure can't keep up with the requested number.
I waited until almost 90k to walnut blast my car and after I did… better gas mileage and smooth running. I’m about due again.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
To carbon clean or not?

Is it reasonable to have a shop borescope it to see if it’s needed?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Is it reasonable to have a shop borescope it to see if it’s needed?
How many Miles? I'm just shy of 55k on my 1.8T and when I pulled the manifold to install MPI the only thing really bad was some build up on a few of the valve stems. Granted YMMV, and would be worth a check I suppose.

viewsonic

Car(s)
2018 GTI - 6MT
I recently rotated my tires and found that one of the centering rings for a wheel is now stuck to the wheel bearing. Stuck pretty good. Also, the retaining clip for the ring fell out when I took the wheel of. Haven't tried too hard to get it off, but I have read to start with pick/screwdriver and work up to fire.

Assuming I can get it off in one piece (got some extras from TireRack in case), does anyone know how the retaining clip fits in with the install of the ring? It's open ended. Do I just shove it in there before I put the ring in? I also discovered that I only have wheel bearing covers on my 2 back wheel bearings, none up front. How big a deal is that? Thanks.

Attachments

• PXL_20220825_164128197.jpg
    PXL_20220825_164128197.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Too late now but anti seize. Don't see any

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I recently rotated my tires and found that one of the centering rings for a wheel is now stuck to the wheel bearing. Stuck pretty good. Also, the retaining clip for the ring fell out when I took the wheel of. Haven't tried too hard to get it off, but I have read to start with pick/screwdriver and work up to fire.

Assuming I can get it off in one piece (got some extras from TireRack in case), does anyone know how the retaining clip fits in with the install of the ring? It's open ended. Do I just shove it in there before I put the ring in? I also discovered that I only have wheel bearing covers on my 2 back wheel bearings, none up front. How big a deal is that? Thanks.

If you can get a screwdriver in there, then it's not stuck too badly. I'd start with a thin, flexible putty knife with the edge ground or filed to a taper. Get a gap in one section, then with the edge in the gap, tap it around the ring circumference. Next tool I'd use would be a cold chisel, followed by a flat bar, using the same technique as the putty knife. If it's not too beat up after all that, you may be able to reuse it. If it's completely stuck, use a sharp cold chisel to carefully cut through it. Heat may work but I wouldn't risk damaging the bearing.

I can't help you with the retaining ring as they are hub ring dependent. The cover is a dust shield. I can't remember if I have them up front or not.

viewsonic

Car(s)
2018 GTI - 6MT
If you can get a screwdriver in there, then it's not stuck too badly. I'd start with a thin, flexible putty knife with the edge ground or filed to a taper. Get a gap in one section, then with the edge in the gap, tap it around the ring circumference. Next tool I'd use would be a cold chisel, followed by a flat bar, using the same technique as the putty knife. If it's not too beat up after all that, you may be able to reuse it. If it's completely stuck, use a sharp cold chisel to carefully cut through it. Heat may work but I wouldn't risk damaging the bearing.

I can't help you with the retaining ring as they are hub ring dependent. The cover is a dust shield. I can't remember if I have them up front or not.
Thanks - Your right, I don't think I'll get very far with a screwdriver. I'll start with the putty knife and use anti seize when replacing. FYI - This is what the retaining clip looks like in relation to the ring.

Attachments

• PXL_20220827_151935763.jpg
    PXL_20220827_151935763.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 33

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
How tight is too tight when it comes to caliper/barrel clearance? Pretty sure I’ve got less than a mm in some spots but it seems fine, no rubbing or scrape marks that I can feel/see.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
How tight is too tight when it comes to caliper/barrel clearance? Pretty sure I’ve got less than a mm in some spots but it seems fine, no rubbing or scrape marks that I can feel/see.

As long as it's not touching you're good. They're not going to move relative to each other.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
As long as it's not touching you're good. They're not going to move relative to each other.
That’s what I was thinking but MAN is it tight as fuck lmao. Might start thinking about 18s after all. Or just 17in SM10s, those are supposed to fit. Thanks!