GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Just got a MK7 GTI, loving it and it came with a RacingLine intake and Racingline exhaust only. I'm not a car guy at all but I'm trying to learn more and will use this car to fine tune my knowledge and skills around one. My question is are the racingline products good enough to keep when upgrading for power or are there better upgrades I should be looking at?
Racingline is great, no need to replace. Congrats on the new car

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Welcome to the MK7 world.. leave the Racingline intake on the car , it’s fine.

GTIs don’t really benefit from cat back exhausts. The bigger upgrade is coming from changing out the downpipe. Highly recommend @GTI Jake for his.

Is the car tuned at all? Or just bolt on intake and exhaust. Manual or DSG?
"I'm not a car guy" = DSG

Shams

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Welcome to the MK7 world.. leave the Racingline intake on the car , it’s fine.

GTIs don’t really benefit from cat back exhausts. The bigger upgrade is coming from changing out the downpipe. Highly recommend @GTI Jake for his.

Is the car tuned at all? Or just bolt on intake and exhaust. Manual or DSG?
No tune from the information I was given. All it came with was the Racingline intake system and racingline catback exhaust.. Also I went with DSG because I live in Miami and the traffic here is too horrendous to daily drive a manual imo.
"I'm not a car guy" = DSG
:cry:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Just got a MK7 GTI, loving it and it came with a RacingLine intake and Racingline exhaust only. I'm not a car guy at all but I'm trying to learn more and will use this car to fine tune my knowledge and skills around one. My question is are the racingline products good enough to keep when upgrading for power or are there better upgrades I should be looking at?
the intake is about as good as it gets for a closed intake. exhaust doesn't really matter, mostly your preference for sound. downpipe and an intercooler is what matters most on the stock turbo.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
No tune from the information I was given. All it came with was the Racingline intake system and racingline catback exhaust.. Also I went with DSG because I live in Miami and the traffic here is too horrendous to daily drive a manual imo.

:cry:
If you ask the dealership to scan the car they can tell you if it’s been tuned from the ECU’s flash counter (same way they void warranty, if it’s been flash tuned it won’t match their records).

Or, it it currently has a tune installed you should be able to brake boost (hold the car back with light braking & heavy throttle to build boost while driving). Stock tune will cut power if you try “left foot braking”.

the intake is about as good as it gets for a closed intake. exhaust doesn't really matter, mostly your preference for sound. downpipe and an intercooler is what matters most on the stock turbo.

CBE is worth more power, the more power you make. On a stage 2 car it’s about 20-25hp…less on a stock car, more on a big turbo car.

The big thing with a aftermarket CBE is keeping it sounding good once you upgrade the downpipe. Without a resonator it’ll drone and sound raspy/tractor-ish

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Uhhhhhh

Key not found while driving down the street?

Replaced my key fob battery a week ago and this is the first time this has ever happened. I was driving down the street and all of a sudden my car did not find my key fob.

What’s up with that?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
If you ask the dealership to scan the car they can tell you if it’s been tuned from the ECU’s flash counter (same way they void warranty, if it’s been flash tuned it won’t match their records).

Or, it it currently has a tune installed you should be able to brake boost (hold the car back with light braking & heavy throttle to build boost while driving). Stock tune will cut power if you try “left foot braking”.

CBE is worth more power, the more power you make. On a stage 2 car it’s about 20-25hp…less on a stock car, more on a big turbo car.

The big thing with a aftermarket CBE is keeping it sounding good once you upgrade the downpipe. Without a resonator it’ll drone and sound raspy/tractor-ish
You think its that much power for a cbe jake?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Uhhhhhh

Key not found while driving down the street?

Replaced my key fob battery a week ago and this is the first time this has ever happened. I was driving down the street and all of a sudden my car did not find my key fob.

What’s up with that?
I get that message all the time when I first hop in the car but never mid drive. Was it just the warning message? I'd be worried about it activating the immobilizer lol

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I get that message all the time when I first hop in the car but never mid drive. Was it just the warning message? I'd be worried about it activating the immobilizer lol
It was mid drive at 63 mph, 10 min after I started driving. I was literally prepping for the car to just stop lol

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Yes. Unlike most intake mods everyone does you can actually feel the power difference from the drivers seat (which implies a 20+hp gain).

StealthGti being a skeptic observed visual indicators as well (traction control light on significantly longer and in addition gears with no other changes).

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Can confirm. I had Jake's CBE at one time but learned I have more sensitive ears than most and went back to DP+MP+OEM suitcase. The difference is most noticeable above 5000 RPM.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Yes. Unlike most intake mods everyone does you can actually feel the power difference from the drivers seat (which implies a 20+hp gain).

StealthGti being a skeptic observed visual indicators as well (traction control light on significantly longer and in addition gears with no other changes).
Just CBE or CBE + downpipe?

Downpipe I can understand making a difference.

Who has an exhaust along with the stock one and is willing to do draggy runs for science.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Who has an exhaust along with the stock one and is willing to do draggy runs for science.

We’re talking going from DP only to full TBE (adding 3” CBE).

Also, keep in mind this is in the absolute best case scenario since my system is true 3” all the way out (no reducers for OEM DP, no smaller tubing after the Y pipe).
58FB6D5C-2AEC-487D-BA82-CF09CFA6095D.jpeg
15436A0C-E683-4C48-B786-7D974F84F897.jpeg

The new R/S3 DP & MP is 4” to 3.5” all the way back till the location were a OEM resonator delete would clamp on near the rear differential.
43F667C0-0887-4584-BDCC-645D34AE3B30.jpeg
D317FD25-38D5-4274-8D67-72673AD0CC10.jpeg

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

I have a DP and would be willing to Dyno it before and after if there's a free cat back in it for me 😉