GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
or you could expand your musical tastes.....:)

In order to do that, you'd have to turn off the radio. They only play the same 4 songs on repeat all day. I have't turned the radio on in my GTI since owning it, and only used it once in my old car when I was driving someone from work to lunch and I was sure he wouldn't like my musical tastes playing from my iPod.

GTiZoomies

look for thread called shipping puck removal.....it is a busy small wheelbase ride but if they didn't take out the shipping pucks it can be brutal from what I've read

I checked last night, no shipping pucks. The car was probably sitting on the dealer lot for a while, since it’s a new 2017 I just got. Can that affect the suspension?
I noticed it was a little bit rougher/bumpier than some of the 2018’s I tested.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
air pressure? I doubt suspension is the issue or different (both were GTI's assume) in the manual it mentions (non-gti's) to set psi at 32 for comfort 37 for performance/mpg or numbers like that...

MEM GTI

Ready to race!
air pressure? I doubt suspension is the issue or different (both were GTI's assume) in the manual it mentions (non-gti's) to set psi at 32 for comfort 37 for performance/mpg or numbers like that...

Completely subjective but I felt like mine settled/smoothed a little bit after the first couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
Mine rides pretty harshly compared to every other car I've ridden in. Hopefully swapping the OEM Hankooks for some Continental DWS will help alleviate some of that. The butt clenching every time I'm approaching a manhole cover or pothole is getting exhausting.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Does the suspension in the mk7 gti have a break in period or generally “soften up” after a while?

It is what it is. It took me weeks to get used to the stiff ride. Maybe I’m more sensitive than others, but I contemplated returning the car initially. Luckily I got used to it after a while. After getting DG springs, the ride got significantly more comfortable. Your results may vary.

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
In order to do that, you'd have to turn off the radio. They only play the same 4 songs on repeat all day. I have't turned the radio on in my GTI since owning it, and only used it once in my old car when I was driving someone from work to lunch and I was sure he wouldn't like my musical tastes playing from my iPod.

I only use my radio in the morning listening to Talk radio stations. Spotify or Pandora for every other minute :)

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Does anybody know if you can use 32mm lug bolts without spacers? I don't know what the max is before they protrude too far out the back/bottom out.

I ask because I plan on using 5mm spacers in the rear w/ black 32mm bolts (stock+5mm), but no spacer in the front. I want to make things simplified by ordering all 32mm bolts.

Thanks

Hockey

Ready to race!
Maybe my question belongs here... Sometimes when I start my car it does not start, perhaps I'm doing something stupid/wrong? It's push to start. Half the time I have to press the button twice or trice for it to start.

Micah247

Ready to race!
Maybe my question belongs here... Sometimes when I start my car it does not start, perhaps I'm doing something stupid/wrong? It's push to start. Half the time I have to press the button twice or trice for it to start.

Foot on brake? If manual, clutch in all the way? I remember after installing a clutch stop I was having intermittent starting issues until I adjusted the bolt on the backside of the clutch stop.

Hockey

Ready to race!
Foot on brake? If manual, clutch in all the way? I remember after installing a clutch stop I was having intermittent starting issues until I adjusted the bolt on the backside of the clutch stop.

It's DSG, hmmm. Maybe I didn't have my foot on the brake firm enough when starting.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

I get that occasionally. Certainly not 50% of the time. I’d call the dealer.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Don't press them at the same time. Make sure your brake is firmly pressed in before pressing start, and make sure you're pressing start hard. Sometimes this happens to me if I just click the button lightly. It still makes a click but it doesn't activate the switch

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bowser

Ready to race!
Not a stupid question - more like a stupid observation. And - yeah - I should have studied the manual harder.

I've had my 17 SE for just over a year. Really love the car. Had one weird thing about the daytime running headlights. A couple of times I noticed that the left headlight was out. It always happened in exactly the same place/time. I get my haircut over lunch. After I turned off the street and pulled into a space, I would see my car's reflection in the plate glass windows, and the L light would be out. Was never able to recreate it.

Anyone figure out yet what was going on?

Just had the car in for 1 yr service and asked them about it. They checked the computer and couldn't see anything wrong. The service manager was very helpful in discussing this. After a while he said something like, "The U shuts off when the turn signal is activated, but lights again a couple of seconds after the turn signal stops."

Ahh! That explained it. I would have my L turn signal on as I turned into the barber's parking lot. The parking space was directly in line with the lot entrance, so I'd just pull quickly into a spot, and see the light off in my reflection. So here I am thinking something is wrong, when I'm actually observing a FEATURE! :D

And no wonder I was never able to recreate the problem in my garage. Or at my work parking lot - where I also see my reflection in a window, but do not use my turn signal.

So, does turning the headlamp off supposedly make the turn signal more visible?