GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I wouldn't rely on that. You can drive a car hard without going fast or abusing the brakes. You can accelerate hard and not slam on the brakes. I would expect the brakes to show if you were regularly tracking or canyon carving, but you can run the transmission and engine really hard without abusing the brakes.
Stop and go traffic chews up your pads too. When someone says "highway miles" they don't always mean cruising.

What13

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
For the most part yes. You can go here Volkswagen Online Owner's Manuals | Official VW Digital Resources (vwserviceandparts.com) to get a copy of your manual after you plug in your VIN.

Wear items, including bulbs and the like, aren't covered, but the typical things that would be covered under a BTB are.

HOWEVER (notice the big however) most dealers don't understand what is covered, so some issues might require a call to VW corporate.

Thank you! That got me started in the right direction. They have the owner's manual but not the warranty info. But they will sell you the warranty and maintenance schedule booklet for $20.
I did find the abbreviated warranty book for the 2018 model - https://www.factorywarrantylist.com/uploads/3/3/9/4/3394652/2018-vw-warranty-booklet.pdf

That "Bumper-to-Bumper" part is a bit misleading. :)

Last edited:

cb1111

Thank you! That got me started in the right direction. They have the owner's manual but not the warranty info. But they will sell you the warranty and maintenance schedule booklet for $20.
I did find the abbreviated warranty book for the 2018 model - https://www.factorywarrantylist.com/uploads/3/3/9/4/3394652/2018-vw-warranty-booklet.pdf

That "Bumper-to-Bumper" part is a bit misleading. :)
Not really. It isn't different from any other car warranty - wear items (wipers, brakes, light bulbs) and adjustments (headlights, trim) are covered for a far shorter period.

What13

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
Yes definitely. I was mostly being snarky. It's just the bumper to bumper phrase conjures up images of EVERYTHING being covered, even though it's a limited warranty.

The good news is my '15 GTI just hit 72k miles this year, so I've got a lot of warranty miles left on my '19.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
what would the symptoms be if you're tuned for E85, but what you put in from a corn station is ....say.....e70. What would be the result? knock, timing, misfire?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Youre getting OTS e85 map right? tune is going to be setup to having MBT of say E50/60 and just have low enough boost taper to not max out the fuel system should the fuel be a full potency of e85
Bingo. That makes total sense

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Best way to get indents out of leather seats? Previous owner had a car seat in the back and there's two quarter sized dents from where the seat was.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Best way to get indents out of leather seats? Previous owner had a car seat in the back and there's two quarter sized dents from where the seat was.
If you figure it out let us know; mine only has 12k miles on it and the driver's seat is doing this too. Guess I have an especially pointy ass.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

Lexol 2 step before and after the seat goes in Ideally. Sounds like the previous owner didn't inspect the car seat too much, a lot of them today have designs to distribute the weight. I even put fat microfiber cloth under ours to help soften is around the edges.

Lexol works very well and is the best I've found for restoring worn leather. Use the cleaner to clean everything as much as possible so the conditioner can penetrate. Gently rub the conditioner in and use a shaving brush to agitate the surface for any stained areas or any shiny areas. Let it sit for a few hours and then hit with conditioner again. The goal is to add enough moisture to the leather for it to relax and soften. It may take 3 or 4 applications, but once soft and supple, use a hair dryer to slowly heat the distorted area on the lowest heat setting. This should get the stretching out pretty well. Add more conditioner if it dries out too much and let it sit again.

My leather always shows wear when pulling the seat in winter. It just gets so cold and dry that the stretching is more pronounced.
If you figure it out let us know; mine only has 12k miles on it and the driver's seat is doing this too. Guess I have an especially pointy ass.

LOL, do your jeans have that fancy 90s bedazzling?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Lexol 2 step before and after the seat goes in Ideally. Sounds like the previous owner didn't inspect the car seat too much, a lot of them today have designs to distribute the weight. I even put fat microfiber cloth under ours to help soften is around the edges.

Lexol works very well and is the best I've found for restoring worn leather. Use the cleaner to clean everything as much as possible so the conditioner can penetrate. Gently rub the conditioner in and use a shaving brush to agitate the surface for any stained areas or any shiny areas. Let it sit for a few hours and then hit with conditioner again. The goal is to add enough moisture to the leather for it to relax and soften. It may take 3 or 4 applications, but once soft and supple, use a hair dryer to slowly heat the distorted area on the lowest heat setting. This should get the stretching out pretty well. Add more conditioner if it dries out too much and let it sit again.

My leather always shows wear when pulling the seat in winter. It just gets so cold and dry that the stretching is more pronounced.

LOL, do your jeans have that fancy 90s bedazzling?

Sassoon FTW lol

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Stupid question time that came up randomly with a buddy of mine. Will the EA888 2.0t work in a factory 1.8t (GSW) vehicle? Will it run the 2.0t motor off a 1.8t ecu? Tuned or otherwise?

bpm

Car(s)
2017 Mk7 S
I've got this part in the driver's side footwell (think it's the lower part of the steering column) that's showing some rust. Any downsides to just hitting it with some steel wool to knock the surface off, and spraying it black?

Attachments

• 20220202_141304.jpg
    20220202_141304.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 57

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
I've got this part in the driver's side footwell (think it's the lower part of the steering column) that's showing some rust. Any downsides to just hitting it with some steel wool to knock the surface off, and spraying it black?
Personally i'd steel wool it and then rub some oil or fluid film on there with a paper towel so you're not getting a bunch of overspray in the footwell. It would probably smell like paint for days.