GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

There's only one way to find out.
Correct - one reason why it is a very bad idea. Not only is there no guarantee that the side airbags will work, but there is no guarantee that ANY of the airbags will function as intended.

That's why manufacturers need to crash test the same car with different options - including seats.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Soi accidentally mis shifted last night and over revved. I caught it immediately and pushed the clutch in.

Got my buddys OBD11 to scan the car tonight and the Overrev code was definitely there. Cleared it. See what happens in the next few days.. car is idling fine, drives fine, maybe i was experiencing heat soak cause the car feels slightly sluggish.. drove 50 miles today and nothing else seemed wrong.. the "fake" boost gauge caught my eye today and it felt like i was losing power cause the numbers kept dropping although i was on the throttle.. seemed a little better tonight on the way home.. the only thing i can think of to really ease my mind is compression test- but think the car would show that by a rough idle or other symptoms -
2017 GTI with 39k miles

any thoughts?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Soi accidentally mis shifted last night and over revved. I caught it immediately and pushed the clutch in.

Got my buddys OBD11 to scan the car tonight and the Overrev code was definitely there. Cleared it. See what happens in the next few days.. car is idling fine, drives fine, maybe i was experiencing heat soak cause the car feels slightly sluggish.. drove 50 miles today and nothing else seemed wrong.. the "fake" boost gauge caught my eye today and it felt like i was losing power cause the numbers kept dropping although i was on the throttle.. seemed a little better tonight on the way home.. the only thing i can think of to really ease my mind is compression test- but think the car would show that by a rough idle or other symptoms -
2017 GTI with 39k miles

any thoughts?
It's more than likely fine since you caught it right away. Do you know how many RPM's it revved to?

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK3 TT, MK1 Atlas SE
I money shifted a 2012 Golf R. It drove fine for a week and a half. A rocker retainer clip came off, but the rocker didn't come off until I did a full throttle pull later. In hindsight, I wish I had pulled the valve cover off and looked at those, but who knew those would even fail at that engine speed...

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
It was above 8
Above 8 is pretty vague since it could be 8100 or 11000

It tells you in vagcom. So what did you really hit?

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Above 8 is pretty vague since it could be 8100 or 11000

It tells you in vagcom. So what did you really hit?
After driving to work- logged back into OBD11 and found the history- the rpm showed 8420.75 for less than a second

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
No bueno jefe

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I would think in most money shift situations it's usually immediately obvious you just fucked up bad.

The story about the R breaking a week after a high rev event is concerning, but I bet it(the car being discussed) is fine.

Not like, fine you can do it again no problem. Just like, you got lucky, be careful with those wide open shifts in the future.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I would think in most money shift situations it's usually immediately obvious you just fucked up bad.

The story about the R breaking a week after a high rev event is concerning, but I bet it(the car being discussed) is fine.

Not like, fine you can do it again no problem. Just like, you got lucky, be careful with those wide open shifts in the future.
Thank you for your feedback- and yes I’m considering myself extremely lucky 🍀- car is still driving completely normal- idles at 800 rpm’s, and is actually really quiet. Shifts fine, no noises at this time- maybe i just really cleaned the shit out of the valves and the car gods were looking out 🤪