GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Woods98

Car(s)
Mk7 GTD
Kind of stupid question: am I the only one who in sport mode doesn't feel ANY difference?
Mine is manual transmission so the engine doesn't change, nor the sound, I don't feel more power or the steering wheel any different -.-?
Steering wheel should be more responsive and the throttle should feel more direct, and magnified in power delivery, if your car has the soundaktor then the engine sound will be amplified through the speaker as well

cb1111

As an IT manager I especially get a kick out of stories like that, thank you :ROFLMAO: those are all absolutely good points; let us know what you end up going with!
I realized that I needed to close the loop on this and I just got the new setup a few days ago.

The Dell Outlet (not DellRefurbished) is a great place if you have patience and read descriptions carefully and have your CC in hand.

I found an Optiplex 3080 (i5 10th gen), with a 512 M2 drive and 32Gb of memory for $750 as an "open box".

I updated all the drivers, added nothing but Acronis and backed up the image to an old 2.5" 128Gb drive I had around. I then added all of the stuff I wanted (Office etc.) and imaged that to another 128Gb drive I had in the junk drawer. Easy to do because adding a hard drive in this thing takes about two minutes and zero tools.

I then added a Crucial 1Tb 2.5 inch SSD. That drive will hold all of documents/files and will be backed up to OneDrive and my NAS.

Am I overlooking something?

The 3080 is an amazing tiny device. The dimensions on paper don't do it justice - it is about half the size of a 13 inch laptop and maybe twice as thick. I'm adding a second HDMI port (it comes with one HDMI and one DisplayPort) for a third monitor.

Inside, it is nicely made with access to almost everything without tools. You can take it down to bare bones in 5 minutes.

Far better than using a laptop and a docking station.

Mr.BearCop

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 SE GTI
What is the sound system in a 2018 SE GTI ? It is def not the Fender. Just curious, I have added the Helix Sub with programming. It sounds great overall.

Also anyone changed out the speakers and if so what brand and what type of success have you had ?

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What is the sound system in a 2018 SE GTI ? It is def not the Fender. Just curious, I have added the Helix Sub with programming. It sounds great overall.

Also anyone changed out the speakers and if so what brand and what type of success have you had ?
It doesn't have a name. On my window sticker it just says it's the 8" screen etc but it doesn't call it by a name.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Hope everyone is having a good Monday -

if you came into a spare $250, what would you buy?

drop in filter ($60)
BFI shift knob ($100)
Plugs and coils ($150)- they are due
LED headlight bulbs ($140)
034 bundle intake kit ($205)
Injen intake ($255- not necessarily for performance , just wanna here the DV better) 😂
OBD11 ($110)
GFB DV- $145
ARM Motorsports charge pipe kit $250
European headlight switch $90
Combo of any of the above or anything else i forgot to list??
🤙🏼

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

drop in filter ($60)
BFI shift knob ($100)
Injen intake ($255- not necessarily for performance , just wanna here the DV better) 😂
OBD11 ($110)
GFB DV- $145
🤙🏼
I shortened your list a little, some of those things should be avoided.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3

drop in filter ($60)
BFI shift knob ($100)
OBD11 ($110)
GFB DV- $145
🤙🏼
Plugs, TMD, 034 Insuction bundle. You know you need plugs (maintenance is paramount), the turbo muffler delete is inexpensive and will let you hear the turbo spool much better, and the 034 Insuction bundle allows you to retain your factory airbox (it's like a built-in heat shield, just pull out the snow guard) and comes with a nice dry-flow panel filter and better flowing accordion hose, as well as an inlet pipe that IIRC testing shows flows better as well. And it looks nice in the bay.

I'm not a fan of OBD11's new pricing model, so I'm very much in camp VCDS.
LED bulbs don't have the light pitch halogens do, if you want that crisp white look get something like the Phillips Diamondvision.
The BFI knobs are super nice, but where are you finding them for $100?
Factory DV is very high-end, if you want the sounds the DV spacers available for like $40 will get you there. I've had mine on for ~5,000mi and it's fine.

I don't really have anything to weigh in on the other stuff. If you wait around a bit, Black Friday is right around the corner, and you may be able to get better prices on some things.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

drop in filter ($60)
BFI shift knob ($100)
OBD11 ($110)
GFB DV- $145
🤙🏼
If you're looking to spend $250 just for the sake of spending money you can help cover my emergency drain snake from last night 🙃 (i kid)

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Plugs, TMD, 034 Insuction bundle. You know you need plugs (maintenance is paramount), the turbo muffler delete is inexpensive and will let you hear the turbo spool much better, and the 034 Insuction bundle allows you to retain your factory airbox (it's like a built-in heat shield, just pull out the snow guard) and comes with a nice dry-flow panel filter and better flowing accordion hose, as well as an inlet pipe that IIRC testing shows flows better as well. And it looks nice in the bay.

I'm not a fan of OBD11's new pricing model, so I'm very much in camp VCDS.
LED bulbs don't have the light pitch halogens do, if you want that crisp white look get something like the Phillips Diamondvision.
The BFI knobs are super nice, but where are you finding them for $100?
Factory DV is very high-end, if you want the sounds the DV spacers available for like $40 will get you there. I've had mine on for ~5,000mi and it's fine.

I don't really have anything to weigh in on the other stuff. If you wait around a bit, Black Friday is right around the corner, and you may be able to get better prices on some things.

thanks for your in detailed response!
Here is the link for the BFI knob i was Referring to: https://www.urotuning.com/products/...sa-vw-audi-fitment-gsa?variant=30288551608375

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK3 TT, MK1 Atlas SE
Does anyone know for sure what flange the IS20 uses? In terms of T3/T4/etc. Cursory googling hasn't turned up any answers for me.
It's based on the OEM head design, where most of the exhaust manifold and runners are built into the head, and thus there are only two exhaust ports on th back of the head in a roughly square shape. This is why the is38 and all of the hybrids based on that design are popular since you don't need an adapter flange.

I'd you're still looking into it, check out the APR Stage 3+ turbo kit with the EFR7163 turbo, it has its own adaptor flange, and I would also doubt that APR would sell it separately.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
It's based on the OEM head design, where most of the exhaust manifold and runners are built into the head, and thus there are only two exhaust ports on th back of the head in a roughly square shape. This is why the is38 and all of the hybrids based on that design are popular since you don't need an adapter flange.

I'd you're still looking into it, check out the APR Stage 3+ turbo kit with the EFR7163 turbo, it has its own adaptor flange, and I would also doubt that APR would sell it separately.
Thanks! Yeah, I was looking at upgrade options and beginning to wonder if I could use my low-mileage IS20 on my 8vT build, but if it's a proprietary design I'll likely wind up sticking to the original T3 plan.

thanks for your in detailed response!
Here is the link for the BFI knob i was Referring to: https://www.urotuning.com/products/...sa-vw-audi-fitment-gsa?variant=30288551608375
I see -- if you live somewhere with temperature extremes, be aware that an all-metal knob is going to get very warm in the summers. I don't think cold is as bad, but this was why I sold my Forge Big Knob and bought the air leather BFI knob instead. The air-leather one is amazing by the way, the craftsmanship and detail are wonderful, and the weight feels (in my opinion) just right -- I felt the Forge knob was a little too heavy. The only reason my GTI doesn't have one (yet) is because I'm not sure what color I like the most for the car.