GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Maybe I'm going crazy and it didn't unlock all of the doors. But it still doesn't work to either unlock or lock the doors. I can hear the doors unlock as my hand reaches for the handle, but thats it, don't even have time to touch the hash mark. And there's no way to lock it unless I use the fob.
Try just pointing a finger on the hash mark instead of reaching for the handle like you're going to wrap your hand around the handle.

itskohler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 1998 4runn
I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Imagine you are creating a form for a GTI owner to fill out before a sound test to indicate any upgrades he/she has on the car. It has a field for each of the parts he/she could change to alter the sound of the engine. So far I have:

cold air intake
turbo charger
exhaust pipes (turboback/downpipe/catback/axleback)
catalytic converter
resonator
muffler
drop in filter
butterfly valve

I don't want to include any fake sound generators. Am I missing anything?

Thank you!
TMD
Discharge piping

Elwood

3-7-77
Imagine you are creating a form for a GTI owner to fill out before a sound test to indicate any upgrades he/she has on the car. It has a field for each of the parts he/she could change to alter the sound of the engine. So far I have:

cold air intake
turbo charger
exhaust pipes (turboback/downpipe/catback/axleback)
catalytic converter
resonator
muffler
drop in filter
butterfly valve

I don't want to include any fake sound generators. Am I missing anything?

Thank you!
Intake (turbo) muffler

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
How much extra length can the wheel hub take without running spacers? I'm getting new wheels, and will need new bolts as the ones I currently have are conical, and I need ball seat. I know the stock bolts are 27mm shank, but I want to get longer than that as I might have to use a spacer. If I got a 37mm shank length bolt, would that still work without a spacer, or would it be too long?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
How much extra length can the wheel hub take without running spacers? I'm getting new wheels, and will need new bolts as the ones I currently have are conical, and I need ball seat. I know the stock bolts are 27mm shank, but I want to get longer than that as I might have to use a spacer. If I got a 37mm shank length bolt, would that still work without a spacer, or would it be too long?
If you have someone willing to do an actual measurement for you, great, but otherwise I wouldn't trust any answers like "I run 35mm bolts and they work fine".

Personally, I would spend the $10 on this guy if you really want to know. Everyone should have one anyway. Take 2-3mm off the measurement just to be sure they don't bottom out.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07DFFYCXS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_R13AVDRB5AFEB8AZ4D92

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If you have someone willing to do an actual measurement for you, great, but otherwise I wouldn't trust any answers like "I run 35mm bolts and they work fine".

Personally, I would spend the $10 on this guy if you really want to know. Everyone should have one anyway. Take 2-3mm off the measurement just to be sure they don't bottom out.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07DFFYCXS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_R13AVDRB5AFEB8AZ4D92

BAM!

1627050620385.png

Good idea, didn't even think of that.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Anybody using a turbo blanket these days?

kglpdx

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Has anyone ran across this? I have a 2017, but my control unit 9 is mk7.5.
I'm attempting to have some euro tails installed, but no combination of coding they try works so my car is stranded at the shop while they call around to anywhere they can think of trying to find a solution.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Has anyone ran across this? I have a 2017, but my control unit 9 is mk7.5.
I'm attempting to have some euro tails installed, but no combination of coding they try works so my car is stranded at the shop while they call around to anywhere they can think of trying to find a solution.
Is the problem with the outer tail lights? I have a 2017 w/ Spec-D tails and couldn't get the outer LED taillights to come on w/ the front DRLs. The inners lights were no problem

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
I have one. Not so much for performance, but to help keep the engine bay temps down.

Nice. Cooler temps definitely help with performance.

I think it may be worth it

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
So I found out the Snap-On Solus my shop recently bought has Expert mode available. I did some digging and apparently it's similar to VAGCOM/OBDEleven. Anyone who knows about the Solus tool know if any of the parameters are the same as what's on the more commonly used tools?