GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
lol who knows, VW likes to change random shit mid generation sometimes. But yes that's why I posted in the stupid questions thread lmao

fair enough, my response isn’t actually coming from a place of knowledge, b it assumption. I’d be quite surprised if they were incompatible.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I forgot this even existed until this weekend, but what's the deal with the button at the bottom of the throttle on a manual?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I forgot this even existed until this weekend, but what's the deal with the button at the bottom of the throttle on a manual?

Prolly not a whole lot of difference lol. 99 vs 100% throttle I’d say. There’s probably very marginal differences between ECU requested torque/values between the two positions.

As is always the case with cars, I’d bet having 2 molds/two different types of throttle pedals for manual + DSG cost more money than just putting the DSG pedals in manual cars. Alas, the bean counters strike again.

GTIMK7PLEASE

Car(s)
Saving FOR MK7 GTI
Another stupid question:

In California, I bought a 2015 gti (used) am I required to smog every 2 years? Or is it till 7 years from when car was produced so 2022. I was thinking adding DP catless
I am so sorry to hear that you have to deal with California laws, I lived in California very recently and recently moved out to the East Coast. California is beautiful well the laws are plentiful. The car scene is much better out there though so you do have that

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
What are the big differences from the 2015 GTI in 2021? Referring to the mark seven
2015 GTI (MK7)
- 5.8” MIB1, underpowered/shitty software infotainment
-6-speed DQ250 DSG, poor factory TCU tuning. Really needs a tune to wake it up
- 502 spec oil
- performance and lighting packages were optional on all trims including autobahn. There are 2015 GTI Autobahns with halogen headlights and non-PP brakes / no VAQ
- no auto stop-start, comes with garbage factory engine/transmission mounts
- miscellaneous interior bits like felt-lined door cards/glovebox/driver seat under-tray, and a fully lined rear spare wheel well. Also hood lining and weather stripping. Also overhead controls are backlit.

2021 GTI (MK7.5)
- S model gets a base infotainment, not sure what it’s called. SE/Autobahn get a 8” MIB2.5/3 (unsure the exact designation)
- 7-speed DQ381 DSG. Much better factory TCU tune than the 2015. I personally wouldn’t feel the need to tune a DQ381, where it was a necessary evil with my 2015 GTI.
- 508 spec oil (0w-20), altered head for new oil spec, and different ECU tuning for emissions, efficiency, and even smoothness/better driveability when compared to a 502 spec engine.
- PP/LP became standardized by trim in 2017, so a 2021 S model will have PP but no LP. A 2021 SE will have both PP and LP, and has an option for the experience package which adds Fender and DCC. 2021 AB has the whole nine yards, including Adaptive Cruise control
- auto stop-start, with uprated OEM engine/transmission mounts.
- MK7.5’s are “decontented,” you don’t get any of the miscellaneous interior bits I mentioned above in the last line for the MK7.

GTIMK7PLEASE

Car(s)
Saving FOR MK7 GTI
Wow thanks, I am in the process of saving up for 2015. I don’t think I’ll be able to afford anything above that. Just wanted to know what I was missing out on. You summed it up greatly thank you. Yeah it does suck out the TCU was really bad in 2015. But APR stage two should help me out. 😉

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Wow thanks, I am in the process of saving up for 2015. I don’t think I’ll be able to afford anything above that. Just wanted to know what I was missing out on. You summed it up greatly thank you. Yeah it does suck out the TCU was really bad in 2015. But APR stage two should help me out. 😉

I would STRONGLY suggest purchasing a 2016 GTI over the 2015. 2015 was the first model year they sold the MK7 in America, and the first of the Puebla-built MK7s. There were manufacturing flaws and design flaws with rear suspension, turbochargers, and a few other things. Also the MIB1 is truly abysmal, and the S models don’t even come with backup cameras. You should be able to find a 2016 model for a relatively similar price as a 2015, but they don’t have any of the manufacturing flaws and they have a greatly improved infotainment with CarPlay and Android Auto. It also has USB ports instead of the proprietary MDI connector VW designed on the PQ35 platform.