GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

I'm just waiting to see the offer to remove them for $$$$.
The problem with these ads are that there is zero chance of anybody clicking on these. They don't give any information and are just a useless page break. I can't imagine making money on this.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I run a combo of UBlock Origin and a PiHole on my network and I haven't seen ads in a long time.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Should I change my manual transmission fluid as soon as my new clutch goes in or wait till after the ~500 mile break-in period?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Should I change my manual transmission fluid as soon as my new clutch goes in or wait till after the ~500 mile break-in period?
Pure speculation here, but I'd wait -- change one thing at a time, make sure it's good, and then move to the next is my 'easy diagnostics' strategy. That way if something seems unusual, you can catch it before you start having to undo a bunch of things to figure out what caused the unusual issue/behavior.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Pure speculation here, but I'd wait -- change one thing at a time, make sure it's good, and then move to the next is my 'easy diagnostics' strategy. That way if something seems unusual, you can catch it before you start having to undo a bunch of things to figure out what caused the unusual issue/behavior.

Not bad advice.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Why would you change the fluid even after the break in? That's not necessary at all.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Why would you change the fluid even after the break in? That's not necessary at all.

Well it seems like 50% of people go with the "lifetime" thing and say it never needs changed and the other 50% say it should be changed. Is there any negative to changing it? I changed the fluid on my MK6 around 60k miles.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Well it seems like 50% of people go with the "lifetime" thing and say it never needs changed and the other 50% say it should be changed. Is there any negative to changing it? I changed the fluid on my MK6 around 60k miles.
Yeah change the fluid as you see fit, I think what he’s questioning is that what’s the connection between the fluid and the clutch, since they aren’t connected.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Just making sure you know your clutch and your fluid have nothing to do with each other, and that changing the fluid with a new clutch isn't a thing most people to do. With the way you asked that question I wasn't sure. Kinda made me think you were thinking it was something like break in oil and that you had to get rid of it.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Just making sure you know your clutch and your fluid have nothing to do with each other, and that changing the fluid with a new clutch isn't a thing most people to do. With the way you asked that question I wasn't sure. Kinda made me think you were thinking it was something like break in oil and that you had to get rid of it.

I was mostly just curious if this is something people tend to do at the same time. I've seen a few different websites that advertise the manual fluid change kits as "add-ons" to clutches and it got me curious.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I was mostly just curious if this is something people tend to do at the same time. I've seen a few different websites that advertise the manual fluid change kits as "add-ons" to clutches and it got me curious.
It's probably not something I would really worry about until I was closer to 100k. Not really any negatives to doing it early though. If you want that extra peace of mind go for it.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Lost the "tie down" for my spare tire, so it's just sitting in there loosely.....any other way to secure it or gravity is good enough?