GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Here's a question regarding about tires.

Long story short, I got sidewiped, since I had damage on my wheel and part of the sidewall of the tire got ripped off (which was from another incident btw) the body shop replaced my front left tire. Rest of the tires are on their way out (Michelin Pilot As3), while I got fresh new meat on the new tire, would be ok if I get 3 Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 tires and still roll on the new michelin, or will it mess up the alignment or something?

Just some insight I need before I pull the plunge.

GTI_Joe1

Ready to race!
Here's my dumb question (This is my first non-manual transmission car ever). When I press the gas pedal down to the first stop (just before the "kick-down" point) on my DSG GTI...am I giving it 100% throttle? Or do I have to put the gas pedal past the first stop and all the way as far as it will go to obtain 100% throttle?

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
In my first week, I was annoyed that there was no way to pull the hatch down without grabbing it from the outside....then someone on the forum mentioned that it has two indented handles on each side....then I noticed the clearly positioned icons VW placed right in front of the handles.

My one of many stupid moments.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
In my first week, I was annoyed that there was no way to pull the hatch down without grabbing it from the outside....then someone on the forum mentioned that it has two indented handles on each side....then I noticed the clearly positioned icons VW placed right in front of the handles.

My one of many stupid moments.

I think we all went through this, except for those who read their manual at a basketball game.

Love the placement because I can easily close the hatch from the side if I'm in my closed garage.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I think we all went through this, except for those who read their manual at a basketball game.

Love the placement because I can easily close the hatch from the side if I'm in my closed garage.

Agreed. Like most German things, it makes sense after you actually use it.

Ok, here is another semi-stupid question. There is no hill assist on the GTIs, right? My bro has it on his wrx but I don't think it comes standard on the GTI. Reason I ask is it seems that my rear brakes stick pretty easy. If I press the brake pedal almost all the way down and then put the car in neutral, it will not roll. This isn't normal, right?

It is much more noticeable on a hill. Then, if I rock back and forth hard enough (yes, I know the image of this is goofy lol), it seems to disengage and the car rolls in neutral as expected. Is this just a new car still breaking in or should I take it to the dealer? It only has around 350 miles on it. Oh, and the first night I had it and noticed this, the car made an unbelievably loud grinding noise and vibrated from the rear when rolling at very low speed. It freaked me out but went away after I drove off and has not returned.

Sorry, first brand new car so I'm used to things being worn in vs all this breaking in business.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Agreed. Like most German things, it makes sense after you actually use it.

Ok, here is another semi-stupid question. There is no hill assist on the GTIs, right? My bro has it on his wrx but I don't think it comes standard on the GTI. Reason I ask is it seems that my rear brakes stick pretty easy. If I press the brake pedal almost all the way down and then put the car in neutral, it will not roll. This isn't normal, right?

It is much more noticeable on a hill. Then, if I rock back and forth hard enough (yes, I know the image of this is goofy lol), it seems to disengage and the car rolls in neutral as expected. Is this just a new car still breaking in or should I take it to the dealer? It only has around 350 miles on it. Oh, and the first night I had it and noticed this, the car made an unbelievably loud grinding noise and vibrated from the rear when rolling at very low speed. It freaked me out but went away after I drove off and has not returned.

Sorry, first brand new car so I'm used to things being worn in vs all this breaking in business.

My 15 GTI comes with hill assist, it's about a second or two worth, i believe that you can increase via VCDS (Vag Com)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
My 15 GTI comes with hill assist, it's about a second or two worth, i believe that you can increase via VCDS (Vag Com)

Wow, makes sense. So embarrassing that I don't know this about my own new car. Wish I could shut it off, kind of annoys me tbh

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
I believe the GTI's do have a "hill assist" but it is only 2 seconds like BxGTI said. If you go right from the brake to the gas while you work the clutch you shouldn't roll backwards. If you hesitate on the gas the car will roll back, and faster than you would think!

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Kind of stupid question: am I the only one who in sport mode doesn't feel ANY difference?
Mine is manual transmission so the engine doesn't change, nor the sound, I don't feel more power or the steering wheel any different -.-?

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
The "soundaktor" goes from 50% to 100% so you should hear a difference (if you're getting into the gas). Also "sport mode" is supposed to quicken throttle response and steering input (make the steering feel more direct/heavier) awesome manual reference Gogo! I thought I was the only one who read the thing!

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Check out pg. 267 of the manual.

Thanks!

Kind of stupid question: am I the only one who in sport mode doesn't feel ANY difference?
Mine is manual transmission so the engine doesn't change, nor the sound, I don't feel more power or the steering wheel any different -.-?

I feel the difference, but not all of it is for the better in regular everyday driving. The steering gets really heavy which even for spirited street driving is unnecessary. The car also feel a little too twitchy for just calmly cruising around town.

I have a sport model so no DCC but have the driving mode custom set on sport for everything but the steering most of the time as I rarely just cruise around at 2K rpm.

Ravenstyle83

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI
Really wanting to know: I have a stage 1 APR tune (93 octane version). If I throw an octane booster to get the fuel to 96 octane, will I make more power and or torque?

paulgarnett6

Ready to race!

Mine is much punchier torquier in sport mode i hate normal mode up to 3k car feels slow.jt says in manual sport mode increases torque! Dont notice any difference in the steering.
Gti pp manual

bpw

Ready to race!
APR has dealers here in the Bay Area. I've not heard of them refusing to sell/install downpipes. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE

I've called a couple of shops in and around the bay area, and they've told me they can't do it. If you know of an APR dealer in the area that is willing to do a DP shoot me a pm please.

Install it yourself it's not that bad, or put a help wanted post up I'm sure someone will jump on it.

My stupid question: if I bang a stripper and now it burns when I pee is that bad?