GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Question.

I got in my car today after getting something at a gas station. I turn the ignition on and start the car. As soonas the car started up it started up rough as hell and made the car shake. Never done this before. What could it be? Spark plugs?

Did you get gas? One time I accidentally bought half a tank of 87 octane. After running it empty I switched back to 93 octane. The engine vibrated very strongly on startup. That is the only time it's ever done it.

Anthony3o55

Go Kart Champion
Did you get gas? One time I accidentally bought half a tank of 87 octane. After running it empty I switched back to 93 octane. The engine vibrated very strongly on startup. That is the only time it's ever done it.
no gas. I usually fill up with shell 93 oct. Car was at half a tank

okMK

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
16 2dr MK7
Anyone have any advice for monitoring timing/knock with the JB4? Let's assume I know nothing and need a starting point. I have tried google-fu, but it's mostly just guys video blogging while driving around in their car.

I see IGN 2-5 is what should be monitored.

What should I be looking for?
What is normal?
What warning signs should I be concerned for?

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Anyone have any advice for monitoring timing/knock with the JB4? Let's assume I know nothing and need a starting point. I have tried google-fu, but it's mostly just guys video blogging while driving around in their car.

I see IGN 2-5 is what should be monitored.

What should I be looking for?
What is normal?
What warning signs should I be concerned for?
Look up the JB4 thread, pretty sure George still hangs out there. Even if he doesn’t, someone will help you interpret the datazap logs

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Not mk7 specific, but here's a stupid question:

How do you buy a used car from a private party with cash? Seller only wants cash, price is $16k. I think my daily ATM limit is like $500 😂. My bank is USAA so they don't have physical storefronts, not to mention I don't feel comfortable carrying that kind of money around. Just can't wrap my hand around the logistics here...

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

How do you buy a used car from a private party with cash? Seller only wants cash, price is $16k. I think my daily ATM limit is like $500 😂. My bank is USAA so they don't have physical storefronts, not to mention I don't feel comfortable carrying that kind of money around. Just can't wrap my hand around the logistics here...

A check. You can be like with the person when. They deposit it so they know you’re not writing them a bounce check. Idk man

cb1111

Get a certified check and meet the seller at his bank. I would never carry that much cash around and if the seller doesn't get that, then he/she is up to no good.

During non-COVID times, I've met at the DMV to make sure that the buyer had everything they needed to register the car, then drove to the bank to actually sell the car and get the bill of sale notarized (to protect the seller)

Leo ATX

Car(s)
2021 Autobahn 6MT
59F311CB-BBA7-4154-942E-6AB35ED01A46.jpeg
7D591A8D-5590-47C1-B96F-E7BD472B6810.jpeg

I have a 2021 Mk7.5 Autobahn with Lane Keep Assist. This system is intrusive where I drive and sometimes mis-recognises lane markings. I can temporarily turn it off in the gauge cluster or in the Assist Systems menu in the infotainment, but it always default to on when the engine starts. Is VCDS the only way to fix this?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
View attachment 205813View attachment 205812
I have a 2021 Mk7.5 Autobahn with Lane Keep Assist. This system is intrusive where I drive and sometimes mis-recognises lane markings. I can temporarily turn it off in the gauge cluster or in the Assist Systems menu in the infotainment, but it always default to on when the engine starts. Is VCDS the only way to fix this?

that’s sucks - mine stays off when I turn it off. Haven’t turned it back on since the day I bought the car

okMK

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
16 2dr MK7
Where it would help an IS20 the most is at the top end where the IS20 needs it the most.
That flex section is very important also.
What catback are you running? Will there be concerns going from a 4" dp to the 2.5" catback?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI (+3 more)
Cash...I've seen bogus bank/cashiers checks. idk what I would do in your place. As a seller I would insist on cash and either meeting at bank or popo station.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S

If they won't do a personal check a cashiers check or money order can work.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Cash...I've seen bogus bank/cashiers checks. idk what I would do in your place. As a seller I would insist on cash and either meeting at bank or popo station.
Yea he said we can do the transaction at his bank but won't do a check, and I don't blame him. Even cashier's checks can be easily faked and the problem with that is the seller won't know until at least a week later.

cb1111

Yea he said we can do the transaction at his bank but won't do a check, and I don't blame him. Even cashier's checks can be easily faked and the problem with that is the seller won't know until at least a week later.
OK, then bring two really big friends until you get to the bank - they can stay in the background. Arrive at the bank way early (like a half hour or more) and hang out inside.