GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
For those of you running a FMIC that left the stock IC as dead weight in the heat sandwich - Did you use some sort of block off plates on the stock IC, or just leaving it hanging out? Most kits include pipes and couplers, but I don't see anything for the dead stocker to close it off.

the whole point of FMIC is ease of install. Removing the stock one - why not just get a factory placement IC which flows better?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
the whole point of FMIC is ease of install. Removing the stock one - why not just get a factory placement IC which flows better?
Not removing it, just curious if anyone blocks it off. Looking at the ARM FMIC, and while it has everything to hook it up and mount it, I was just curious if people leave the dead IC open to the elements.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Not removing it, just curious if anyone blocks it off. Looking at the ARM FMIC, and while it has everything to hook it up and mount it, I was just curious if people leave the dead IC open to the elements.
When I put a neuspeed fmic on my mk6 it came with rubber caps for the stock IC

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Here's another brain twister before I pull the trigger on the ARM FMIC and catted DP. Would a 3.5" DP make that big a difference over a 3" on an 1.8T IS20 build? I know a lot of guys running hybrid or 38s recently started talking about the Trackslag 4" MQB DP and how things spool faster.

Price wise the ARM is 20 bucks cheaper than the CTS catted 3.5" DP.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Here's another brain twister before I pull the trigger on the ARM FMIC and catted DP. Would a 3.5" DP make that big a difference over a 3" on an 1.8T IS20 build? I know a lot of guys running hybrid or 38s recently started talking about the Trackslag 4" MQB DP and how things spool faster.

Price wise the ARM is 20 bucks cheaper than the CTS catted 3.5" DP.
I don’t think it’ll matter much. Is20 won’t really max either out. Though the 3.5 might deal with that initial bend better, the one out of the turbo. Though I’m just guessing.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I don’t think it’ll matter much. Is20 won’t really max either out. Though the 3.5 might deal with that initial bend better, the one out of the turbo. Though I’m just guessing.
Fair. Looking at bit closer, it looks like the o2 bung on the CTS is right after the bend and pre cat, ARM has the CAT right after the bend and the the bung past it just before the mesh coupler. Think I might have better luck with the o2 post cat, and the cat closer for heat up.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Fair. Looking at bit closer, it looks like the o2 bung on the CTS is right after the bend and pre cat, ARM has the CAT right after the bend and the the bung just before the mesh coupler. Think I might have better luck with the o2 post cat, and the cat closer for heat up.
On a fa20 wrx. When swapping to a catted downpipe. There are two options basically. Some have the cat close to the turbo. Some have them a bit further away

in this example it’s best to have it closer to the turbo since it’ll be warmer and the cat can cat better. So to speak.

however, quality of the cat has to be considered too. A gesi would probably be fine in any position and at any distance from the turbo.

if it’s got a cheap cat it might be wise to get it closer to the turbo. It could even help with fuel smell a few minutes after cold start too

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
On a fa20 wrx. When swapping to a catted downpipe. There are two options basically. Some have the cat close to the turbo. Some have them a bit further away

in this example it’s best to have it closer to the turbo since it’ll be warmer and the cat can cat better. So to speak.

however, quality of the cat has to be considered too. A gesi would probably be fine in any position and at any distance from the turbo.

if it’s got a cheap cat it might be wise to get it closer to the turbo. It could even help with fuel smell a few minutes after cold start too
Don't believe their GESI. 042 draft has a GESI, but is about the same price as the IE DP. Though is nice as it isn't branded up top with their logo, like the ARM. ARM is branded on the pipe near to the mounting prongs which is nice for CA and potentially smog.

Arm doesn't give much info their cat:
-200 Cell High-Flow Catalyst: Replaces the resonator on the standard catless downpipe and reduces exhaust fumes and chance of getting a check engine light (CEL). Though it's butted up pretty close to the turbo:
1614574827556.png

Think I'll stick with the ARM unless someone has a knowledge bomb or "It blew up my engine" story to tell.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Don't believe their GESI. 042 draft has a GESI, but is about the same price as the IE DP. Though is nice as it isn't branded up top with their logo, like the ARM. ARM is branded on the pipe near to the mounting prongs which is nice for CA and potentially smog.

Arm doesn't give much info their cat:
-200 Cell High-Flow Catalyst: Replaces the resonator on the standard catless downpipe and reduces exhaust fumes and chance of getting a check engine light (CEL). Though it's butted up pretty close to the turbo:
View attachment 204729

Think I'll stick with the ARM unless someone has a knowledge bomb or "It blew up my engine" story to tell.
Gesi’s aren’t cheap. That’s for sure.