GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Mk7tsi3door

Go Kart Newbie
This a cone seat or ball seat lug? Looks like a cone but I’m hopeful I can use them on my oem rims...

Attachments

• 5811AB41-C8BE-41F4-BFA0-BDF19A5FEACF.jpeg
    5811AB41-C8BE-41F4-BFA0-BDF19A5FEACF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
my 2015 GTI non-PP also never indicated “Launch Control active” on the MFD, but it definitely worked. I buried a few modded WRXs when I was on bone stock power with bone stock hardware and OEM plastic all seasons lol, they ALL asked me if I had a turbo upgrade🤣🤣🤣
Alrighty good to know, I think it's like 2017s and up that get the display message.

That’s weird. Mine shows it. I’ve got a 2020
I wish it did tell me so I know I did the sequence right lol.

I wonder if there is any way to code it in but I don't think so.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Alrighty good to know, I think it's like 2017s and up that get the display message.

I wish it did tell me so I know I did the sequence right lol.

I wonder if there is any way to code it in but I don't think so.
U can verify via the tachometer

seems to be the only way for u. For now?

G Gilbert

Car(s)
I don't own a car
So golfmk6 had a "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread", can we start one up here? (unless there is one and i just missed it)

The goal of this thread is to allow people to ask random questions (related to mk7 stuff) and to ask "stupid" questions without getting flammed (such as "this is my first GTI, does it have a turbo?").

It's a great place for teh n00bz, experienced folks and enthusiasts.

The mk6 one was pretty good because we had a few people that were always active in the thread and very helpful. I think this thread would be valuable once it gets up and running. It'll help de-clutter other subforums too.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S7 Edge.
I have a pretty stupid question. I'm looking into buying a MK7 GTI, as I currently don't own a car. I know german cars have a bad reliability reputation, so I'm wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with relialiability. Thanks

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I have a pretty stupid question. I'm looking into buying a MK7 GTI, as I currently don't own a car. I know german cars have a bad reliability reputation, so I'm wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with relialiability. Thanks
Make sure you keep up on maintenance, don't beat it on until oil is up to temp (180ish), and chances are you won't have any (significant) problems

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

ive owned 2 MK7 GTIs, neither had a single CEL in over 130K miles driven

G Gilbert

Car(s)
I don't own a car

Thanks

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie

I've only had to replace the engine once so far :ROFLMAO::cry:

But seriously, as other have said, Mk7 EA888/3 on MQB is very reliable overall. There will always be outliers and bad luck saps like me. I would personally not hesitate to buy another Mk7/7.5 again even with all I went through.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I'm with others who have said these cars are reliable, just keep up on maintenance and don't beat on it until it's up to temp -- not just coolant, but also (and probably more importantly), oil.

With that said, if you're mechanically inclined in the slightest, it's worth it to do your own labor. I learned most of what I know mechanically-speaking from working on a mk4 Golf with the NA 2.0, and I never had any major issues the whole way to 226k miles when I sold the car. If you know how to perform basic maintenance (oil changes, engine and cabin air filter replacement, spark plugs/coilpacks, brakes) you'll be just fine. And if you're not sure, there's a massive community with plenty of DIY information available.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Then you aren't doing it right. 😂