GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
So a little tip make sure your key fob battery is good. I went to get in my car after golfing yesterday and nothing would happen. I unlocked it with the hidden lock but of course all I got was no key fob detected when trying to start it. I am guessing it is the battery even though it is only a 2019.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Just picked up 18x7.5 et38 5x100 BBS RC336 wheels for my Mk7. Which wheel adaptors should I buy. 15mm or 20mm? Are wheel adapters safe? Thanks
15mm...but still they won’t fit unless you stretch tires, and run atleast -4 camber up front.

Yes adapters are fine as long as they are High quality and correctly tq’d.

zakattack187

Passed Driver's Ed
15mm...but still they won’t fit unless you stretch tires, and run atleast -4 camber up front.

Yes adapters are fine as long as they are High quality and correctly tq’d.
I’m brand new to wheels. Lol explain stretch tires and -4 camber please. They come with Continental ExtremeContact Sport 225/40 R 18(92Y) tires.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
But because the wheel is narrower (by a half inch), doesn't the mounting points of the wheel actually move farther away from the car?

But.....

The 7 inch wheel is 177.8 mm and the 7.5 inch wheel is 190.5

So, the centerline for the stock (7.5 inch wheel) is 95.25 mm - add 51 and you're at 146.25 from the lip of the wheel to the place where it meets the hub
and the centerline for the other (7 inch wheel) is 88.9 mm - add 54 and you're at 142.9

Or is my math off?
Your math is right, but you're thinking about it backwards. The narrower wheel is both closer to the caliper on the outside (by like 9mm) and further from the suspension (by the 3mm you calculated). Picture might help.

Screenshot_20210110-200335.png

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I’m brand new to wheels. Lol explain stretch tires and -4 camber please. They come with Continental ExtremeContact Sport 225/40 R 18(92Y) tires.
oh in that case, those mk4 fitment wheels really aren’t a good option for you. They will take smaller tires and you need to upgrade your suspension with the min some camber plates and probably either adjustable lower control arms or ball joint extenders to get those to fit drama free, also the wheel will be poking past the fenders a good bit.

Last edited:

Mk7tsi3door

Ready to race!
Anybody have the oil drain plug leak? (Plastic one)

I’ve been diligent in replacing them every oil change, but last time I did not, and yesterday I didn’t either. Noted some sort of oil leak under the car can’t really tell from where, I suppose it’s wishful thinking that it’s the drain plug 😂 but I’m gonna get a new one swap it and clean it up to see if that stops it or where the leak is really coming from.

Attachments

• 1642727D-FD4C-44FF-9F81-DBDED2B78D20.jpeg
    1642727D-FD4C-44FF-9F81-DBDED2B78D20.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Anybody have the oil drain plug leak? (Plastic one)

I’ve been diligent in replacing them every oil change, but last time I did not, and yesterday I didn’t either. Noted some sort of oil leak under the car can’t really tell from where, I suppose it’s wishful thinking that it’s the drain plug 😂 but I’m gonna get a new one swap it and clean it up to see if that stops it or where the leak is really coming from.
Where did you buy the oil drain plug? The ones I bought from a third party seller leaked. The OEM ones don't. If yours is an OEM one it's more likely the leak is from somewhere else. Who reinstalled it the last oil change?

Mk7tsi3door

Ready to race!
Where did you buy the oil drain plug? The ones I bought from a third party seller leaked. The OEM ones don't. If yours is an OEM one it's more likely the leak is from somewhere else. Who reinstalled it the last oil change?
It’s an oem one from the dealer, I went on Saturday but the parts section closed at 12pm so I just said fuck it and decided to use it again(again,again). No obvious issues putting it back im just mad I found the leak lol I’ll put a new one in just to rule it out even if unlikely.

good to know the aftermarket ones leak

cb1111

It’s an oem one from the dealer, I went on Saturday but the parts section closed at 12pm so I just said fuck it and decided to use it again(again,again). No obvious issues putting it back im just mad I found the leak lol I’ll put a new one in just to rule it out even if unlikely.

good to know the aftermarket ones leak
You'll also want to clean the area. I've seen far too many people drain the oil, screw in a new plug and get a leak - only to find out that a piece of debris caused the problem.

cb1111

You won't know till you get them on the car unfortunately. Based on the numbers, it should clear the suspension just fine, but I can't tell if it will clear the brake caliper.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Maybe I need to stick to something from TR that I know will fit...

Drincc

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Just wondering if anyone with a non-navigation radio in their GTI has noticed the odd time that the display appears zoomed in slightly? On Bluetooth audio you can't even see the right side bit of the screen, and the text is enlarged. But cycling the key a couple of times had it go away. Everything functions fine.

I'm not immediately concerned, but I wanted to hear if it isn't just me.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just wondering if anyone with a non-navigation radio in their GTI has noticed the odd time that the display appears zoomed in slightly? On Bluetooth audio you can't even see the right side bit of the screen, and the text is enlarged. But cycling the key a couple of times had it go away. Everything functions fine.

I'm not immediately concerned, but I wanted to hear if it isn't just me.
I haven't had that happen. 18 SE.