GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
Please impart your knowledge on wheel studs...

I understand they need to be 14×1.5 and I'll need ball seat nuts as I'm using neuspeed wheels. The wheels I'm using are 18x8.5 ET+45 and I'd like to run a 10mm spacer in the rear. What length studs should I be using?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Please impart your knowledge on wheel studs...

I understand they need to be 14×1.5 and I'll need ball seat nuts as I'm using neuspeed wheels. The wheels I'm using are 18x8.5 ET+45 and I'd like to run a 10mm spacer in the rear. What length studs should I be using?

8.5 barrel ET45 in the rear is near-flush. 10mm spacer will poke quite a bit, unless you have rolled fenders. I would suggest leaving it as-is and seeing how you feel about it first. I wouldn’t think anything beyond 5mm would be necessary in the rear for spacers.

I would add that flush spacer kits for the GTI’s stock wheels are 15F/20R, further proving my point that, IF you want to run a spacer at all, it shouldn’t exceed 5mm in the rear, as the 8.5/ET45 setup is perfectly flush up front.

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
8.5 barrel ET45 in the rear is near-flush. 10mm spacer will poke quite a bit, unless you have rolled fenders. I would suggest leaving it as-is and seeing how you feel about it first. I wouldn’t think anything beyond 5mm would be necessary in the rear for spacers.

I would add that flush spacer kits for the GTI’s stock wheels are 15F/20R, further proving my point that, IF you want to run a spacer at all, it shouldn’t exceed 5mm in the rear, as the 8.5/ET45 setup is perfectly flush up front.

18x8.5 / 45 ET with 10mm spacers on rear wheels:

d5.jpg

Did not poke. Was pretty close to flush with 235/40/18 tires.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
The tire is within the fender, exactly like the fronts (18x8x5 / 45 ET), which you declared to be flush. Are front and rear flush measured differently?

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I am pondering installing my BFI dogbone insert tomorrow and all I have available right now are ramps (have everything else I need). Anyone have any tips for installing this way?

cb1111

I have (enroute) a 2019 Alltrack SEL (DSG) and I'm looking for a set of winter wheels. I've been offered a set of Classix (aka Seven-X) wheels.

The stock Canyon wheels are 18x7.5 with a 51mm offset.
The Seven-X wheels are 17x7 with a 54mm offset

ECS shows them as not fitting, but the wheel should actually be a couple of mm farther away from suspension bits.

IIRC, the SevenX came on a MkV (2007ish) GTI. Would the MkV have a different hub bore or something I'm overlooking.

Tires will be Conti Viking7 205/55/17

Does anybody have any thoughts?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I have (enroute) a 2019 Alltrack SEL (DSG) and I'm looking for a set of winter wheels. I've been offered a set of Classix (aka Seven-X) wheels.

The stock Canyon wheels are 18x7.5 with a 51mm offset.
The Seven-X wheels are 17x7 with a 54mm offset

ECS shows them as not fitting, but the wheel should actually be a couple of mm farther away from suspension bits.

IIRC, the SevenX came on a MkV (2007ish) GTI. Would the MkV have a different hub bore or something I'm overlooking.

Tires will be Conti Viking7 205/55/17

Does anybody have any thoughts?

It could be that they won't clear the calipers. The 3mm more offset plus 1/2" narrower wheel will put the wheel face almost 1/2" closer to the caliper. Could be fixed with spacers, but if you haven't bought the wheels yet, I'd stick to ones that fit without them.

cb1111

It could be that they won't clear the calipers. The 3mm more offset plus 1/2" narrower wheel will put the wheel face almost 1/2" closer to the caliper. Could be fixed with spacers, but if you haven't bought the wheels yet, I'd stick to ones that fit without them.
But because the wheel is narrower (by a half inch), doesn't the mounting points of the wheel actually move farther away from the car?

But.....

The 7 inch wheel is 177.8 mm and the 7.5 inch wheel is 190.5

So, the centerline for the stock (7.5 inch wheel) is 95.25 mm - add 51 and you're at 146.25 from the lip of the wheel to the place where it meets the hub
and the centerline for the other (7 inch wheel) is 88.9 mm - add 54 and you're at 142.9

Or is my math off?

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
So a little tip make sure your key fob battery is good. I went to get in my car after golfing yesterday and nothing would happen. I unlocked it with the hidden lock but of course all I got was no key fob detected when trying to start it. I am guessing it is the battery even though it is only a 2019.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Just picked up 18x7.5 et38 5x100 BBS RC336 wheels for my Mk7. Which wheel adaptors should I buy. 15mm or 20mm? Are wheel adapters safe? Thanks
15mm...but still they won’t fit unless you stretch tires, and run atleast -4 camber up front.

Yes adapters are fine as long as they are High quality and correctly tq’d.

zakattack187

Passed Driver's Ed
15mm...but still they won’t fit unless you stretch tires, and run atleast -4 camber up front.

Yes adapters are fine as long as they are High quality and correctly tq’d.
I’m brand new to wheels. Lol explain stretch tires and -4 camber please. They come with Continental ExtremeContact Sport 225/40 R 18(92Y) tires.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
But because the wheel is narrower (by a half inch), doesn't the mounting points of the wheel actually move farther away from the car?

But.....

The 7 inch wheel is 177.8 mm and the 7.5 inch wheel is 190.5

So, the centerline for the stock (7.5 inch wheel) is 95.25 mm - add 51 and you're at 146.25 from the lip of the wheel to the place where it meets the hub
and the centerline for the other (7 inch wheel) is 88.9 mm - add 54 and you're at 142.9

Or is my math off?
Your math is right, but you're thinking about it backwards. The narrower wheel is both closer to the caliper on the outside (by like 9mm) and further from the suspension (by the 3mm you calculated). Picture might help.

Screenshot_20210110-200335.png