GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Exhaust is hotter closer to the engine. Cats need to get to a certain temperature to work, which is why your exhaust smells more on cold starts. Manufacturers used to put the cat under the car. Now they are bolted right to the manifold, to get them hotter faster. So it will start working faster and earn a smiley face from the EPA.

Once the exhaust gets to temperature, the position of the cat will make less of a difference, but still cause a CEL because it doesn't clean like the factory catalyst. Most people with downpipes run an O2 spacer, which tricks the sensor and prevents a CEL. The J-shaped spacer works on my APR downpipe (which has the cat under the car) to prevent the CEL.

The APR cat has a very slight smell once warmed up, but if you want a cat with no smell at all, keep the stock one.
Good advice. Thanks!

arrrgh14

Ready to race!
Please impart your knowledge on wheel studs...

I understand they need to be 14×1.5 and I'll need ball seat nuts as I'm using neuspeed wheels. The wheels I'm using are 18x8.5 ET+45 and I'd like to run a 10mm spacer in the rear. What length studs should I be using?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Please impart your knowledge on wheel studs...

I understand they need to be 14×1.5 and I'll need ball seat nuts as I'm using neuspeed wheels. The wheels I'm using are 18x8.5 ET+45 and I'd like to run a 10mm spacer in the rear. What length studs should I be using?

8.5 barrel ET45 in the rear is near-flush. 10mm spacer will poke quite a bit, unless you have rolled fenders. I would suggest leaving it as-is and seeing how you feel about it first. I wouldn’t think anything beyond 5mm would be necessary in the rear for spacers.

I would add that flush spacer kits for the GTI’s stock wheels are 15F/20R, further proving my point that, IF you want to run a spacer at all, it shouldn’t exceed 5mm in the rear, as the 8.5/ET45 setup is perfectly flush up front.

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
8.5 barrel ET45 in the rear is near-flush. 10mm spacer will poke quite a bit, unless you have rolled fenders. I would suggest leaving it as-is and seeing how you feel about it first. I wouldn’t think anything beyond 5mm would be necessary in the rear for spacers.

I would add that flush spacer kits for the GTI’s stock wheels are 15F/20R, further proving my point that, IF you want to run a spacer at all, it shouldn’t exceed 5mm in the rear, as the 8.5/ET45 setup is perfectly flush up front.

18x8.5 / 45 ET with 10mm spacers on rear wheels:

d5.jpg

Did not poke. Was pretty close to flush with 235/40/18 tires.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
The tire is within the fender, exactly like the fronts (18x8x5 / 45 ET), which you declared to be flush. Are front and rear flush measured differently?

DrFunkalupicus

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I am pondering installing my BFI dogbone insert tomorrow and all I have available right now are ramps (have everything else I need). Anyone have any tips for installing this way?

cb1111

I have (enroute) a 2019 Alltrack SEL (DSG) and I'm looking for a set of winter wheels. I've been offered a set of Classix (aka Seven-X) wheels.

The stock Canyon wheels are 18x7.5 with a 51mm offset.
The Seven-X wheels are 17x7 with a 54mm offset

ECS shows them as not fitting, but the wheel should actually be a couple of mm farther away from suspension bits.

IIRC, the SevenX came on a MkV (2007ish) GTI. Would the MkV have a different hub bore or something I'm overlooking.

Tires will be Conti Viking7 205/55/17

Does anybody have any thoughts?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I have (enroute) a 2019 Alltrack SEL (DSG) and I'm looking for a set of winter wheels. I've been offered a set of Classix (aka Seven-X) wheels.

The stock Canyon wheels are 18x7.5 with a 51mm offset.
The Seven-X wheels are 17x7 with a 54mm offset

ECS shows them as not fitting, but the wheel should actually be a couple of mm farther away from suspension bits.

IIRC, the SevenX came on a MkV (2007ish) GTI. Would the MkV have a different hub bore or something I'm overlooking.

Tires will be Conti Viking7 205/55/17

Does anybody have any thoughts?

It could be that they won't clear the calipers. The 3mm more offset plus 1/2" narrower wheel will put the wheel face almost 1/2" closer to the caliper. Could be fixed with spacers, but if you haven't bought the wheels yet, I'd stick to ones that fit without them.

cb1111

It could be that they won't clear the calipers. The 3mm more offset plus 1/2" narrower wheel will put the wheel face almost 1/2" closer to the caliper. Could be fixed with spacers, but if you haven't bought the wheels yet, I'd stick to ones that fit without them.
But because the wheel is narrower (by a half inch), doesn't the mounting points of the wheel actually move farther away from the car?

But.....

The 7 inch wheel is 177.8 mm and the 7.5 inch wheel is 190.5

So, the centerline for the stock (7.5 inch wheel) is 95.25 mm - add 51 and you're at 146.25 from the lip of the wheel to the place where it meets the hub
and the centerline for the other (7 inch wheel) is 88.9 mm - add 54 and you're at 142.9

Or is my math off?