GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

My car is lowered on eibach pro kit springs, and I used all new nuts and bolts and strut bearings. I'm having a metallic clunk coming from the front right it sounds like, when I go over "sharp" bumps above 35mph. It sounds almost identical to the sound a manhole cover makes when you drive over it. What are the most obvious culprits? Sway bar bushings, control arm, strut, connecting rods?
Sway bar bushings

cb1111

So this is a really off the wall question and I'm certain the answer is no (unless I get the engineers in Wolfsburg to do it), but is it conceivable to pair one key to two identical cars? I'm contemplating swapping both of our cars for two new VWs (with Kessy). It would be nice if each of us had a key that could work on either car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So this is a really off the wall question and I'm certain the answer is no (unless I get the engineers in Wolfsburg to do it), but is it conceivable to pair one key to two identical cars? I'm contemplating swapping both of our cars for two new VWs (with Kessy). It would be nice if each of us had a key that could work on either car.

I would doubt it but I don't know for certain. What would you do if you got rid of just one of the cars. Reprogram it?

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I experience a fast jump in RPM 4k-redline in first gear, but my tires aren't spinning. Where is that power being lost, is it possible for the clutch to be slipping with no burn smell? Is it possibly related to something else within the transmission? The reason I ask, it feels like the RPMs are racing in first gear, but the way the car pulls... the power doesn't seem to match. It's possible this is all in my head...

Second question -- What would be causing RPMs to outright hang in second gear? The car is at temp and running WOT, RPMs increasing all the way to 6,000 where they hang for a second before I decide to let off the gas.

2016 6MT on firehawks with a Jb4.

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
^
If the clutch were slipping the RPM would fly up with zero acceleration. If this were happening regularly the clutch would be trashed in very short order.

Your second question is confusing. If you haven't let go of the gas yet the RPM are going to fall slower.

Seems like you may just be accustomed to the power of the JB4. So while the car is as fast as it ever was, it feels slower now since you're used to it.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
^
If the clutch were slipping the RPM would fly up with zero acceleration. If this were happening regularly the clutch would be trashed in very short order.

Your second question is confusing. If you haven't let go of the gas yet the RPM are going to fall slower.

Seems like you may just be accustomed to the power of the JB4. So while the car is as fast as it ever was, it feels slower now since you're used to it.

The second question is in regard to RPMs hanging before I let off the gas.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

cars come with 2 keys. You both have one of each car’s keys on your rings

HarrisGT

Car(s)
GOLF 2.0 GT TDi
Hi

little bit of help, I have a 2016 2.0 tdi GT, Iv ordered a honey comb style grill but am struggling to find a honeycomb style lower grill to match, will GTi/GTD lower front grills fit?

Thanks in Advance

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yes, less of an issue for my wife who carries a steamer trunk for a purse, but I don't want to carry two - in addition, if we're both in the car, then the car may get confused because there ARE both fobs for one car in the car.

yeah, that was a knee-jerk, armchair response from me lol. A pretty inelegant solution regardless