GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion

cb1111

I found this article in today's Austrian newspaper - interesting data:

The Austrian telematics provider Dolphin Technologies has evaluated the behaviour of 40,000 motorists over a period of two years (2018/2019) in order to investigate the causes of road accidents. A total of 1,986 accidents occurred. Specifically, it investigated the duration of car journeys and how this correlates with the likelihood of an accident.

Most trips (87%) take less than 30 minutes, only one percent of all trips longer than an hour. In relative terms, the lowest risk of accidents was on journeys lasting between 10 and 20 minutes. After that, the risk increases disproportionately. If you sit in the car for more than 40 minutes, the risk is already two and a half times higher.

1600460075205.png
However, a closer look at short trips, i.e. trips lasting less than 10 minutes, brought very interesting details: 25 percent of all accidents occurred during the first three minutes, and another 14 percent within the first 6 minutes. "So if you could encourage people to give up on the car at short distances, up to 40 percent of all accidents could be avoided," says study leader Katharina Sallinger, Chief Data Scientist at Dolphin. "We want to help people travel safely. With the knowledge of which behavior leads to accidents, we can make targeted recommendations and thus minimize risks."
The expert's tips:
    • Avoid short trips, if possible, and cycle or walk
    • For longer journeys, schedule regular breaks and keep them
    • Do without your mobile phone while driving. 26% of accidents occur as a result

Dolphin Technologies specializes in preventing road accidents. For example, motorists pay less insurance premiums and receive incentives for low-risk driving. This includes, for example, the waiver of mobile phones at the wheel or the adherence to speed limits.

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
What is the purpose of Weathertech Wind Deflectors/rain guards? My GTI came with them and I don't get it. Is it just aesthetic or are they functional?

If I crack the window at speed, it's not exactly quiet but I have no frame of reference to compare it to. When it's hot or raining and hot I'm running AC. They don't look badly or take away from the car but if I'm missing something, please let me know.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What is the purpose of Weathertech Wind Deflectors/rain guards? My GTI came with them and I don't get it. Is it just aesthetic or are they functional?

If I crack the window at speed, it's not exactly quiet but I have no frame of reference to compare it to. When it's hot or raining and hot I'm running AC. They don't look badly or take away from the car but if I'm missing something, please let me know.

When it's raining you can leave the window down a little. I know that smoking is bad but those are useful for smokers also.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I use them also to keep the windows cracked o really hot days or if i want i also use them when it's misting/ raining but to keep the water out. They are good to keep water from falling into the car too that likes to sit on the roof

Tim2K20GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
What kind of lug nuts are standard on a MK7.5 GTI? This is my first GTI and I've got new wheels coming that need ball seat lugs but I don't know what comes standard on the car. I'm guessing that I need to order the ball seat lugs but I'm not sure. I could go out and remove one but since I don't have a working torque wrench, I don't want to do that.

If I need to order new ones, what is the proper size and does anyone have suggestions for where to order from? These will be for VMR V710 wheels.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
What kind of lug nuts are standard on a MK7.5 GTI? This is my first GTI and I've got new wheels coming that need ball seat lugs but I don't know what comes standard on the car. I'm guessing that I need to order the ball seat lugs but I'm not sure. I could go out and remove one but since I don't have a working torque wrench, I don't want to do that.

If I need to order new ones, what is the proper size and does anyone have suggestions for where to order from? These will be for VMR V710 wheels.
Ball seat comes on the car.

Max of Millbrook

Car(s)
19 golf sportwagen
I just bought a 2019 golf sportwagen 1.8 TSI my first VW since a 1961 bug. Ya I'm old.
I have a few OBDII scanners but I have read about one for "coding" a VW. What is that? I saw a kit to make my rear gate auto open and did not hear the click when unlocking the gate. So it said I would need to code it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just bought a 2019 golf sportwagen 1.8 TSI my first VW since a 1961 bug. Ya I'm old.
I have a few OBDII scanners but I have read about one for "coding" a VW. What is that? I saw a kit to make my rear gate auto open and did not hear the click when unlocking the gate. So it said I would need to code it.

Welcome to the forum. You're talking about an OBDeleven device. Sometimes you'll see them for sale in the forum and they're available at the usual sources like Amazon etc. You could check Carista also. It's a similar device that doesn't involve coding but OBDeleven can do other things also. Lots of us older guys in the forum.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
RossTech AKA VCDS is also another well known one. ODBeleven tends to be cheaper I believe. I went with the Hexnet pro cable from RossTech as i've used VCDS long before ODBeleven was a thing.

SureShot

Car(s)
2019 GTI Autobahn
Question about oil life. VW says 10,000km or 1 year. I just bought a new 2019 GTI and the warning came on for an oil change. I feel like the dealer will just reset the timer. But if it’s been on the lot for a year should the oil be changed? Only like 300km of driving but idk how long it stays good in the oil pan?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I'd recommend changing it. I don't know if they do, but I know when I first got my MK6 a lot of talk was flying around about "Break in oil" from the factory. I haven't read anything saying VW uses a friction modifier oil from the factory period, but changing it early isn't going to hurt the car - especially since it isn't sitting on a lot anymore.

cb1111

Question about oil life. VW says 10,000km or 1 year. I just bought a new 2019 GTI and the warning came on for an oil change. I feel like the dealer will just reset the timer. But if it’s been on the lot for a year should the oil be changed? Only like 300km of driving but idk how long it stays good in the oil pan?
That's a good question that causes fist-fights around here periodically. Whenever I buy a "new" car that's been sitting on the lot for awhile, I ask the dealer to do an oil change before I pick it up. I ask for a repair order showing the oil change and I pull the dipstick to check oil color.

When I decide on a car, I'll pull the dipstick before I buy the car. After the oil change, I'll pull the dipstick again - all in front of the dealerr.

While oil color is never an indicator of oil life, it does change with age (even if it is still perfectly fine) but you can see brand new fresh oil.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
My car is lowered on eibach pro kit springs, and I used all new nuts and bolts and strut bearings. I'm having a metallic clunk coming from the front right it sounds like, when I go over "sharp" bumps above 35mph. It sounds almost identical to the sound a manhole cover makes when you drive over it. What are the most obvious culprits? Sway bar bushings, control arm, strut, connecting rods?

Last edited: