GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
"Also, will I hate myself for getting black?"

Not if you learn that it's OK to have a dirty car. I obsessed with my Mustang (and many others) keeping it clean. Black was my last choice but they were only a limited number os Sports when I got mine and model choice was more important than color. The black one was at a dealer that gave me a good price and made it all easy as all negotiation/numbers were done on line. I haven't had a car this dirty in a long time and I'm OK with it but I learned to not obsess. Black only stays clean for 5 minutes and I prefer bright colors...but deal. I'm happy with my choice and if it was only $500 I would have picked differently but it was a few grand.

Mud

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Also, will I hate myself for getting black? I currently have a medium dark gray. It will get PPF and ceramic the first weekend after I get it - and, of course, the appropriate tires prior to winter.
Yes. Simple answer. You will almost NEVER be able to get rid of swirls and once you see them, you will always see them.

gtg223x

Passed Driver's Ed
What impact does high engine bay temperatures have on power? What kind of difference do hood vents make? Are there any other good options?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
What impact does high engine bay temperatures have on power? What kind of difference do hood vents make? Are there any other good options?
I'm no expert but I don't believe the actual engine bay temp matters. engines are hot, nothing is going to change that.

the air that goes through the turbo does matter, and that's where an intercooler comes into play.

edit: correction, of course it matters, hot is ok, lava hot is not ok.

Last edited:

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
How do you remove the piece of trim with the light strip above the door sill? I'm trying to look under my driver side carpet to see if there is any water damage.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I'm no expert but I don't believe the actual engine bay temp matters. engines are hot, nothing is going to change that.

the air that goes through the turbo does matter, and that's where an intercooler comes into play.
Excessively high engine bay temps can eventually wreak havoc on your car. Plastic will get brittle faster, rubber will break down, you can cook the battery, the list goes on...

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Excessively high engine bay temps can eventually wreak havoc on your car. Plastic will get brittle faster, rubber will break down, you can cook the battery, the list goes on...
true, I suppose "hot" should have been clarified. I know my engine bay is hot AF when I pop the hood, and that is normal.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
How do you remove the piece of trim with the light strip above the door sill? I'm trying to look under my driver side carpet to see if there is any water damage.
The bottom plastic door sill piece? I don't have the LED strip, but on mine it's pull up and toward you/away from the car from the inner (closest to the seat) lip of the trim. When you install it back, make sure you pull that inner lip toward you before pressing down to realign the clips correctly. I don't think it would be different for you, but i'd be careful for whatever the LED is attached to.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone have any insight as to when 2021 GTIs will be available? In this regard, I assume there will be another year of Mk7.5 GTIs sold in the U.S., and that Mk8s won't begin to arrive until very late in 2021 as 2022s So, to repeat myself, any idea when the 2021 Mk7.5s GTI will first be available? Best guess?

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Just like in The Spy Who Shagged Me, we don't have to answer a question until you ask three times.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Temps have a huge effect on power. I run Lime Rock regularly and ambient temps have a much bigger impact than tire width, tire brand, rear sway, and other mods I've used. I made a spreadsheet showing my times vs. ambient for clean laps. At 40 degrees to low 50's I typically run 1:04-1:05. High 80's low 90's I run 1:06-1:07, and will go to 1:08 on really hot days. This correlation is direct for all temps in between. That is a HUGE delta over such a short track.
As others have mentioned, the underhood temps you are worried about relate primarily to the air intake. My nephew just added two big hood vents to his track prepped BMW (after intercooler, big radiator, oil cooler) and they did very little to intake temps. Not sure they are worth it.

As long as oil/water temps are OK I would recommend intercooler as next move.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Would cars without dcc be closer to 'comfort' or 'sport' in dcc cars?