GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Here's one:
What matters more, the brand of tune, or the tuner?
The brand of the tuner is the brand. Even if you are using the Cobb Access Port there's several tuners using it to tune but the brand would then be EQT, Stratified 5150 etc.

KyACRASH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT
OTS tunes vary by tuner. They're probably pretty similar because it has to be a very generic tune.
I may have misunderstand the original question - I know APR stage 1 is the same anywhere you get it - and it is different than Unitronic Stage 1.

I thought the question was if you get APR Stage 1 at Shop X is it different than APR at Shop Y. - in which case, no it is not.

cb1111

Sure! Let's say that APR has the best Stage 1 tune, but the closest APR dealer doesn't have a good reputation. Or Racingline's dealer is right hours away. Maybe Unitronic isn't considered as good, but there's a place locally that has a great reputation.

With all these "Stage" tunes out there claiming better numbers, does it really matter which brand you get? What matters more, the brand of tune, or the person tuning it?
It is unlikely that the reputation of a shop has anything to do with their ability to flash code. It probably has to do with their other services.

mk7_bk

Autocross Newbie
It is unlikely that the reputation of a shop has anything to do with their ability to flash code. It probably has to do with their other services.
how do they flash the code at the shop, is it through OBD port ? I would assume so as everything seems to go through there. I only have jb4, but honeslty, like all tuners should have the capability to flash at home its easier by 100 fold

Hey guys,
Maybe a stupid question, what do you guys do to clean the outside of the tiny windows up front (ahead of the side mirrors) mine have got quite foggy looking for some reason, almost like a there's a layer of coating on it.

Cheers

hotbascosauce

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG W/DCC
Before you take your car in to be flashed, ask if they charge shop time for the flash. When I had my B7 A4 flashed Unitronic Stage 1, the shop charged for 45mins worth of shop time for the install which they didnt disclose to me till it was time to pay. Even though they are only 15 mins from my house, I am never going there again... The APR dealer which was about an hour further up north did not charge shop hours for flash tuning.

mk7_bk

Autocross Newbie
Before you take your car in to be flashed, ask if they charge shop time for the flash. When I had my B7 A4 flashed Unitronic Stage 1, the shop charged for 45mins worth of shop time for the install which they didnt disclose to me till it was time to pay. Even though they are only 15 mins from my house, I am never going there again... The APR dealer which was about an hour further up north did not charge shop hours for flash tuning.
that sucks, i rather just do it myself, bullshit to have to pay it is probably the easiest thing to do, plugin, download file to ecu, be done

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
how do they flash the code at the shop, is it through OBD port ? I would assume so as everything seems to go through there. I only have jb4, but honeslty, like all tuners should have the capability to flash at home its easier by 100 fold
That's exactly why so many of us recommend Cobb plus the numerous tuners tuning on the Cobb platform.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
o
Hate to sound like a broken record but that's exactly why we recommend the Cobb platform. Tune from home and several tuners to chose from including what certainly seems to be the consensus best one EQT.

Agray

Passed Driver's Ed
I have an OBDELEVEN. How do I view knock retardation? Can I view it per cylinder? What kind of values should I be looking for at WOT?

mk7_bk

Autocross Newbie
That's exactly why so many of us recommend Cobb plus the numerous tuners tuning on the Cobb platform.
I deadass thought you were on here recommending cobb ots tunes... I was getting my pimp hand out my pocket. Lol. Cobb accessport if anyone was wondering

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I deadass thought you were on here recommending cobb ots tunes... I was getting my pimp hand out my pocket. Lol. Cobb accessport if anyone was wondering
LOL. No just Cobb for the ability to tune with others. Cobb's OTS tunes suck.