GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I read some guys never get theirs above 3krpm when oil temp below 180! it didn't help I am 3 min away from on ramp, and oil temp is only 178 half way to work :D

how do you restrain yourself from having fun with your daily?

At 178 degrees it won't hurt if you go above 3000 RPM's. I just wouldn't push it too hard until the oil gets to about 200 degrees. If your oil doesn't get to full operating temperature before getting to work I would take a different route especially in colder weather so all the condensation is burned off. Ever notice in cold weather water dripping from the tailpipe of the car in front of you? That water will stay in the exhaust if it doesn't get burned off.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
At 178 degrees it won't hurt if you go above 3000 RPM's. I just wouldn't push it too hard until the oil gets to about 200 degrees. If your oil doesn't get to full operating temperature before getting to work I would take a different route especially in colder weather so all the condensation is burned off. Ever notice in cold weather water dripping from the tailpipe of the car in front of you? That water will stay in the exhaust if it doesn't get burned off.

I was thinking about this yesterday actually and wondered what the difference is in oil at different temps. One day I'd like to set up and experiment to see, but I'm sure someone has done it already. I think anywhere above 150 you're probably not going to notice a huge difference in viscosity but I always wait until at least 180°F to get on it

EDIT: Heres a chart. Kind of what I expected. Viscosity changes exponentially at lower temps but once you get above 40°C (104°F) the viscosity doesn't change much. Density is linear along the temperature range, though.

https://wiki.anton-paar.com/en/engine-oil/##data-imagegroup-17996

Last edited:

jackjackattacko

How do I lower the rears for bc racing br coilovers. Is it the spring perch or the shock? Or is it more complicated? I keep asking people and they give me different answers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!

thanks

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
thanks but didn't see any chart :)

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
on some models there are small M3? bolts that attach the feet to the car frame (under doors)

Never had that. Mine (2018) has a point built into the feet that insert into a hole in the upper part of the door frame to center it....no bolts.

Stupid question here.

I know a lot of people want to eliminate the intake sound being pumped in via the stereo, but I'd like to significantly increase in race.

During track days, I'm having a hard time hearing the engine to shift. Between the helmet and the massive wind noise, I can't hear the engine at all.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Stupid question here.

I know a lot of people want to eliminate the intake sound being pumped in via the stereo, but I'd like to significantly increase in race.

During track days, I'm having a hard time hearing the engine to shift. Between the helmet and the massive wind noise, I can't hear the engine at all.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Its not your actual engine sound, its an electronic sound file.