GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Hello All!

I'm new and I have a difficult question! So, I noticed golfs seems to be sorted by mark versions. If i'm searching for parts/mods and it says its compatible with a "MK7 GTI" would that mean (as long as its not engine related) It would fit my "MK7 Tsi?" I would love if this would be this way! This is most likely to general of a question.

I’m old enough to remember when we called them by the A and B chassis numbers. About 5yrs ago I had a newish VW nut look at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead when I said I’ve owned an “A1, A2, and A3 GTI”.

“Mk” pronounced “mark” denotes the generation of the car (Mitsubishi would call it the evolution). Most parts designed for a Mk7 are designed to fit a 2012-2019, but pay close attention to the years listed. The 2017-2019 are a mid generation face-lift, and colloquially called the Mk7.5. If we were mAd TyTe JdM, it would be zenki and kouki.

Many parts are interchangeable between the mk7 and mk7.5, and likewise between the different levels and vehicles... Jetta to Golf to GLI to GTI to R. (Won’t bring into play all the other interchangeable bits with other monikers).

When in doubt, ask here or the part manufacturer or shop/tuner for some support.

Just saw your follow up. I think you mean the Golf R center exit. What year, model, and trim do you have?

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
So yesterday I flushed my brake fluid. I used a gatorade bleeder bottle setup with hose clamps so everything was nice and secure, but for some reason my driver side front caliper bleeder nipple was leaking through the threads after I had just barely cracked it enough to bleed the fluid. Not the problem though

I noticed it and didn't do anything about it until after it had dripped all the way down my caliper. I wiped off everything with a blue shop towel until it was dry, but did not flush with water at all. Will my paint be okay? If not too late I may take a water bottle out and spray off the caliper in the work parking lot

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
So yesterday I flushed my brake fluid. I used a gatorade bleeder bottle setup with hose clamps so everything was nice and secure, but for some reason my driver side front caliper bleeder nipple was leaking through the threads after I had just barely cracked it enough to bleed the fluid. Not the problem though

I noticed it and didn't do anything about it until after it had dripped all the way down my caliper. I wiped off everything with a blue shop towel until it was dry, but did not flush with water at all. Will my paint be okay? If not too late I may take a water bottle out and spray off the caliper in the work parking lot
Spray it off with brake cleaner

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I’m old enough to remember when we called them by the A and B chassis numbers. About 5yrs ago I had a newish VW nut look at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead when I said I’ve owned an “A1, A2, and A3 GTI”.

Yup. I had to explain to a dealer I owned a B5.5 and NOT a B5 Passat. They had no idea what I was talking about.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Is there any way to deactivate the hill holder assist? I feel like the clutch take up on hills feels pretty weird and would like to turn the feature off.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Is there any way to deactivate the hill holder assist? I feel like the clutch take up on hills feels pretty weird and would like to turn the feature off.

Hill hold just keeps the brakes on for about 3sec, the clutch just tells the brakes to let go. Your clutch pedal take-up doesn’t change.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
as mentioned you can obd/vagcom to work on it not sure if you can totally eliminate it....I used OBDeleven to make it quick release. I like it, you get a short second b4 brakes release. prevents roll back w/o dragging.

an excuse to buy a tool!

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Hill hold just keeps the brakes on for about 3sec, the clutch just tells the brakes to let go. Your clutch pedal take-up doesn’t change.

Hmm OK, might leave it on then. On my last car (Subaru), the hill hold assist made the clutch pedal feel odd even on flat ground, so the common thing to do was turn it off.

I also don't really want to get too dependent on it, and then roll back into someone in my other car...

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Can the dealership do it for me?
find someone local to do it for free or a beverage. or spend the $70/80 for OBD11 and also do other stuff.

Google OBDeleven and best mods for lists of what else you can do. This is one of the better non-wtty affecting mods you can do.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I don't have an Android phone for OBDeleven unfortunately. Should I go VCDS or get an Android tablet for OBDeleven?

Does OBDeleven also support multiple cars? I see that the cheapest VCDS allows you to use it on up to 3 cars, which would be perfect for me (my brother and roommate also got new Golfs).

cb1111

I don't have an Android phone for OBDeleven unfortunately. Should I go VCDS or get an Android tablet for OBDeleven?

Does OBDeleven also support multiple cars? I see that the cheapest VCDS allows you to use it on up to 3 cars, which would be perfect for me (my brother and roommate also got new Golfs).
VCDS is the better of the two. It is from a more serious company that actually knows what they are doing.