GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Rtastic

EU Factory BCM coding

Hi Idk if this has been asked before, I have a MK7.5, trying to upgrade to EU tail light. If I follow the instruction (5G0 052 400) supplied by the VW OEM tail light upgrade kit (5G1 052 200 C ) which route one extra wire to the BCM, what coding do I need for that?
In the instruction, you can use the ODIS (dealer diagnostic tool) and select “Perform upgrading and retrofitting solutions” function to correctly code the BCM. I don't think NA VW dealer will have this function, so my question is do I just use the EU OEM factory coding for the high line rear tail light?

I know the aftermarket harness route is much easier, but I left my window open during a rain storm, now I have to pull the carpet up to dry it, so why not run the wire the factory way while I'm at it.

any advice would help, thanks in advance.

kit routing diagram: https://imgur.com/a/4gjLRvb

edrex

Ready to race!
Anyone know approx how thick the plastic is on the bumper where the license plates mount? Are front and rear the same thickness?
Looking at throwing some moly bolts in for a better mounting solution than just drilled holes

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Am I the only one with a rear window washer that is absolutely useless? It is incapable of getting the washer fluid onto the window. So when the wiper moves it makes things worse by wiping a mostly dry window

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Am I the only one with a rear window washer that is absolutely useless? It is incapable of getting the washer fluid onto the window. So when the wiper moves it makes things worse by wiping a mostly dry window

The rear window washer on my 2016 GTi is a fan jet like the fronts and covers most of the wiped portion when used.

I like traffic lights, I LIKE TRAFFIC LIGHTS, especially when they’re green, especially when they’re green!

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Annoyed with my rear washer. Mine is constantly freezing up below 25F. Im using the orange wiper fluid too. The fronts are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cracksilog

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone with the heavy duty trunk liner? My car didn’t come with one but when I took my gti in for warranty work today they gave me a Jetta for a courtesy car. Apparently the heavy duty trunk liner goes on top of the stock trunk liner?! Like a trunk liner sandwich? Or does the heavy duty trunk liner go by itself? I was almost dead set on getting a MuddyBuddy but then I discovered what the heavy duty trunk liner actually looked like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Will the LED headlight assemblies from a Mk7.5 SE or Autobahn swap over to an S with halogen lamps? And function as halogen? Thank you

Sorry bud but this is a flat-out stupid question. The answer is: obviously, no.

You can retrofit OEM LED headlights but it requires lots of money. Like, to the tune of over $2K. So that ship has sailed.

Your best bet is just buying replicas. Or just getting quality halogen lights (i just upgraded my halogens with Phillips H7s, and changed the leuchte coding to 127 for maximum brightness. makes a very big difference, and makes the halogens livable.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Do we need a new thread for flat-out stupid questions? [emoji23]

PhillyPhilvw

What up VW fans? New to the forum here. I'm a former Passat owner and I've decided to go back to vw after a 12year hiatus. I'm definitely getting a Golf Sportwagen, just need some advice on reliability, common issues and whether or not to buy new or used.

I found a 2018 closeout of a GSW S AWD for around $21k. The other option is to get a 2016 SEL model between $17-18k with 27k-35k miles.

What say you?

Peace,

Phil M.

Last edited:

StewieMk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Getting ready to hardwire a dashcam to the fuse box on the driver side. Do I need to disconnect the battery before removing/installing a 10A fuse that is in a switched/not-constant slot?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Getting ready to hardwire a dashcam to the fuse box on the driver side. Do I need to disconnect the battery before removing/installing a 10A fuse that is in a switched/not-constant slot?

Shouldn't need to.

I never disconnected my battery each time (first time was using the left DRL fuse and second time was using the 12V fuse).

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

StewieMk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Shouldn't need to.

I never disconnected my battery each time (first time was using the left DRL fuse and second time was using the 12V fuse).

Yeah I'll be tapping into the 12V fuse. Just wanted to make sure. I'm paranoid about electrical stuff.

Minska

Car(s)
a
Got my GTI recently and I've noticed it's not doing any "DSG Farts". It's 2019, I've read in some places that they removed it but there's a lot of conflicting information. It's only on 2000 miles at the moment with some people saying it comes later. Anyone know anymore on this?