GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 R (DSG) Vs M3 E92 (DCT)

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Start: rolling 1st gear
Finish: 6th gear (around 230kph /144mph+)

7R mods: Oettinger tuning box + De-cat downpipe
M3 mods: De-cat

Enjoy :)

Last edited:

ASH M

Passed Driver's Ed
Something major is wrong with that M3 or its driver...

Btw, an M3 is NA so it doesn't have a downpipe.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Fixed that. Thx
I can assure you nothing's wrong with either though, the driver is a friend who comes from a tuned 335 and his M3 is in mint condition (that's why he bought it actually) :)

Irishace

Ready to race!
I own both cars and this result does not surprise me. There is no doubt in my mind that my stage 2 300whp GTI is faster than my xpipe + tune 370whp M3. Its incredible what the MK7 GTI/R can do.

ASH M

Passed Driver's Ed
I own both cars and this result does not surprise me. There is no doubt in my mind that my stage 2 300whp GTI is faster than my xpipe + tune 370whp M3. Its incredible what the MK7 GTI/R can do.

Same here, but I don't agree. At the coast the M3 is just in another league. Already tested for myside :)

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Well to be honest we all thought (wrong) that the M3 was in another league, and were surprised by the result, and it's never easy to admit that a four pot can show a V8 its tail lights on a run till 6th gear.
However if we put some numbers in perspective, that explains the result:

The 7R's setup is rated at 380bhp and 480Nm / 354lbft from 1800-5500rpms, for a weight of around 3251 pounds

The M3's setup is rated at 425bhp and 415Nm/ 306lbft at 3800rpms for a weight of around 3527 pounds

That's an advantage of "only" 45bhp in peak power for the M3, clearly not enough to compensate for a deficit of 65Nm of torque at least throughout the rev range, and 276 pounds of extra fat.

The race just confirms these numbers.

PS: We're not comparing it to the GTI but to the R.

Last edited:

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Last edited:

OHHFSHO

Passed Driver's Ed
Something major is wrong with that M3 or its driver...

Btw, an M3 is NA so it doesn't have a downpipe.

It can't be the driver, it's a DCT; all you do is floor it lol.

Hooklyn

Banned
Not surprised by this in the least given factual testing done from 3rd party sources. Stage 1 Mk7 R's are running low 12's while the E92 M3 DCT runs 12.4 at 114mph per C&D...

Toxic R

Passed Driver's Ed
Not surprised here as well, I witnessed the Newer M3 (Faster than the E92 M3) getting raped by Downpipe, intake and Tune MK7R from a dig, I raced the R in my C6 Corvette as well, no chance for me from a dig with my stock tires, by the end he was easily 2-3 cars ahead. I'm sure from a roll it will be a different story though.

I was told that the Golf R ran best of 11.8s that Night in the quarter mile with those mods only. They are no Joke when tuned.

OHHFSHO

Passed Driver's Ed
Not surprised here as well, I witnessed the Newer M3 (Faster than the E92 M3) getting raped by Downpipe, intake and Tune MK7R from a dig, I raced the R in my C6 Corvette as well, no chance for me from a dig with my stock tires, by the end he was easily 2-3 cars ahead. I'm sure from a roll it will be a different story though.

I was told that the Golf R ran best of 11.8s that Night in the quarter mile with those mods only. They are no Joke when tuned.

Yeah, Traction would be the factor from a dig(obviously) but I'm sure from a roll the corvette(F80/F82 M3/M4) would give it a run.

Whackamac

Ready to race!
I took a 2011 M3 yesterday at a light... he beat me slightly off the line then the GTI kicked in and took care of it. If I had summers I could have given it more. I can spin the stock tires at any speed up to 50mph on dry pavement quite easily.

Yes, the mk7 is underrated. Very underrated.